Calvert Cliffs - Weeks After The Hurricane

cowsharks

What a great reward for such a herculian effort.

Yep. Came from a pile being washed out by the high tide. All of the material would have been washed away by the next high tide for sure so I hurry up and shoveled it into buckets and screened it. Had to take my glasses off because the waves were crashing into my box screen splashing up in my face every 2 seconds. But persistence pays off - at least that's what I keep telling my sore aching muscles the enxt day when I have to take a few Ibuprofen :)

Daryl.

Congrats on your finds!! I was just down at the Calvert Cliffs with Kevin. Teeth are hard to spot in the gravel! Good stuff!

Congrats on your finds!! I was just down at the Calvert Cliffs with Kevin. Teeth are hard to spot in the gravel! Good stuff!

Thanks. Yep, I read your trip report in the other thread. Kevin's a great guy and I'm glad he was able to put on a spot where you found some teeth. Tide conditions change all the time, and the only way to take advantage of them is to live close by and go hunting all the time. For the folks that travel large distances to the cliffs, it's hard to predict more than a couple days out what the tides might be doing since slight weather changes cause significant changes. There have been numerous times where I showed up for low tide only to be confronted with water up to my waist and no beach to hunt. So, you take the good with the bad and make the most of it - it's why I always bring my box screen for sifting. Even if the tide is high I can usually find a spot where I can sift some gravel, even if it is under 2ft of water. I hate going home empty handed, so I work pretty hard at it.

Daryl.

Thanks. Yep, I read your trip report in the other thread. Kevin's a great guy and I'm glad he was able to put on a spot where you found some teeth. Tide conditions change all the time, and the only way to take advantage of them is to live close by and go hunting all the time. For the folks that travel large distances to the cliffs, it's hard to predict more than a couple days out what the tides might be doing since slight weather changes cause significant changes. There have been numerous times where I showed up for low tide only to be confronted with water up to my waist and no beach to hunt. So, you take the good with the bad and make the most of it - it's why I always bring my box screen for sifting. Even if the tide is high I can usually find a spot where I can sift some gravel, even if it is under 2ft of water. I hate going home empty handed, so I work pretty hard at it.

Daryl.

Sounds good ;) Next time I'll have to bring some rubber boots, completely soaked my shoes during this hunt :P

Any day with Kevin is a good day; he's a Prince of a guy!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow that is an immaculate Meg tooth... Very very nice, those makos and the smaller Meg are sweet too. Great Hemis as well. Congrats.

• 5 weeks later...