Fezouata Carpoids

trilobiteruss

Oh sorry, I overlooked your second sentence. However, I compared the specimen we are discussing here with your Lingulella, my own ones with pedicles, and some pics from literature. The specimen under discussion has a straight axis in the middle - a sort of "midline" - in its "tail". That is what I miss in the pedicle of linguliform brachiopods. Another problem is the transition between the putative brachiopod shell and the putative pedicle. It looks quite different. So I don't think it's a brachiopod.

araucaria1959

I don't know what it is, but I like it.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Barnacles go all the way back to the M.Cambrian, but they are most common in the Cenezoic.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Piranha,

Thanks for posting that link. I had been using P. Van Roy's spelling of Plasiocystis and also failing to find anything online. I simply assumed he hadn't described it yet. I know that we have specimens from some of Lefebvre's quarries, and it does look (to me) like figure 2.2 from this paper.

Yes keep watching to see if any of us can find out what this odd fossil might be, sure is strange...

• 8 years later...

It's a species of the carpoid Plasiacystis.

See: Prokop, R. J., & Petr, V. Á. C. L. A. V. (2003). Plasiacystis mobilis, gen. et sp. n., a strange “carpoid”(Echinodermata,? Homoiostelea: Soluta) in the Bohemian Ordovician (Czech Republic). Sbornik Narodniho Muzea, Serie B, Prirodni vedy, 59, 151-162.

The "tail" is definitely odd, but the Czech specimens show that it is indeed a carpoid.

“When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.” - Jack Handy