Wöhr's November 2012 Texas Fossil Report

Uncle Siphuncle

November was a month of superlatives - biggest Mortoniceras ammonite, biggest Macraster echinoid, biggest Leptomaria gastropod I've ever seen much less picked up.

In addition I've shown some cool nacreous a.k.a. "Texas ammolite" ammonites from the Weno Formation, some pyritized micromorphic ammonites from the Pawpaw Formation, and a battery of cool Grayson Formation finds (shark teeth, fish and nautilus jaws, echinoids, ammonites) courtesy of our gracious host and friend, Steven Ward. 

Exploring and networking paid off handsomely in November.  Our report can be viewed on the Brazosport Museum website at the following link:

http://bcfas.org/museum/Meander/2012/Fossil%20Report%20Nov%202012.pdf

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Outstanding report Dan!

From the miniscule to the behemoths - nothing ecapes eagle eye Dan!

Love the tiny ammonites and the echie with the worm tubes! :wub:

Thanks for the vicarious trip.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

...a splendid time was had by one and all...

Grüße,

Dan,

Nice fossils! Love those ammonites with shell preserved, especially the one with the remnants of the septa. It really shows how thin the septa were and why we get steinkerns that actually stay together.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas and a look forward to a great New Year.

ER

i emailed sward to get the latest lowdown on fish jaw ID, as he's been carrying that torch lately, but he must be tied up with family and work at the moment, so i haven't heard and haven't pursued ID independently.

mine struck us as odd with teeth not all in the same plane.

so i cut loose my report with that cool find unidentified so i could turn my attention toward my december report and an upcoming article for Der Steinkern entitled "Die Spektaculäre Konservierte Fauna des Corsicana Formation von Südtexas"....or sumpin' like that at least!

Grüße,

I'd love to take a look too, but I've just been recieving this report when I try:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

...So I'll try again tomorrow.

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

yes pls try again, roger. i threw ein große Schnecke in just for you!

Grüße,

Way to go Dan, you overloaded thier bandwidth!!

Guess I'll try again later.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

What an awesome report! I would love to find any of those fossils. I literally spent my entire lunch break (plus an extra 20 min) reading this report. Very cool, looks like you have some real prime locations scouted out! I wish there was stuff like that close to where I live....

jd...glsd you enjoyed. i wish i had more good sites close to home too! in reality i usually run 100-1000 miles round trip to round up what you see here.

some sites regenerate quickly, but most don't, especially in a drought. even during normal to heavy rainfall periods, i find it best to rest many sites 1-3 years between visits.

lack of rainfall has put me in more of a roving

mode, checking out sites from obscure papers

and relying largely on my own hunches after

scouring satellite images snd geomaps.

if i lean on the same few sites, diminishing returns is the rule, and i like variety anyway so i guess i'll continue to pony up the bucks for gas and see what else is out there.

Grüße,

after halloween but still a treat!

Grüße,

Since yesterday I got the exceeded bandwidth message?

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

if this keeps up i'll contact the museum. i tested the link before posting here by opening the report on my phone.

Grüße,

the museum's IT guru is looking into it....sorry for the "bait and switch"...

Grüße,

Wow. What a month! I've been reading your report and gawking at your photos all morning. That kayak trip was spectacular. My back hurts just thinking about dragging all those ammonites around. Thanks for sharing your journeys.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Very impressive finds. I do like the picture of the boat with all these ammonites. What a way to go hunting !

Greetz,Marcel

Dan, what do you do with all those huge ammonites? Judging by your trip reports, you seem to take home quite a few of these things of substantial size/weight. Are most in storage waiting for prep?

I loved seeing the shark teeth :) I think I'd hit the spots with shark teeth more and even try to dig and sift some of that dirt in the nearby crick if possible.

Hope Ms. Bret is healing well.

Daryl.

thx yall for the well wishes. ms brett is on the mend and she braved the cold of north texas today for 10 hours of new site prospecting. our finds were few but nice.

the big ammos.... yes i have a few. many go into specimen trades, some are given to coworkers, kids of ms brett's coworkers, our neighborhood kids.... but i must admit that i reserve many to go to landowners who open their gates to us, as well as people who guide

us and like or lack ammos.

Grüße,