Restoration Techniques

Asteroceras

I have been looking at a post today regarding a fossil fish and shrimp plate from Lebanon. The shrimp had been drawn around in pencil to make it stand out from the rock (although i suspect it had some bits drawn on) at the fish on the same plate looked to have been inked. It got me thinking how much restoration work I do on my own fossils, and I was wondering about techniques people have for restoring their own fossils. As this is a part of the process that people tend not to talk about. The nature of how fossils are collected (14lb sledge hammer for large ammonite blocks) lends itself to the preparator having to get to grips with certain techniques regarding restoration.

When is restoration called for? If it is just for aesthetics, what are peoples thoughts on this? One thing I hate to see is fossils that have been restored but are stated in the description as being 100% genuine.

I was helping a friend in his workshop and he had a consignment of Moroccan pieces to clean up from a wholesaler. Some of the pieces were laughable, a lump of rock with no end of stuck together ammonites just glued all over it. Still makes me chuckle now.

What materials do people use and on what type of fossils?

When restoring fossils of bone I use 2 part car body filler. You can mix a little gouache in with it to match the colours roughly, it sets very quickly and can be carved and sanded very easily and unlike different type of putty it will never fall out.

I prefer not to use any filler in my work if I can get away with it. I like the 'as fossilised' natural look of pieces.

Preserving and presenting fossils.

I use artists varnish, uv stable and does not colour over time, used for protecting paintings.

Any filler will need touching in, What types of paints do people use? I know some prefer acrylic over oils, what have people found that works best?

Just some thoughts.

Dan

Progress of my fossil cleaning can be found on my Instagram feed

http://instagram.com/gbfossils

YouTube for fossil collecting and prep videos 

https://www.youtube.com/user/GBFossils

Hi Dan-

I do very little reconstruction. Primarily only when something is needed to hold a fossil together. I use epoxy putty from Aves Studios here in the states. It comes in different colors which helps match it to the fossil, but usually I also like to keep the colors different so you know what is bone and what is filler. I have done some serious reconstruction on other projects (not my own) and used the same epoxy putty. We carved some dinosaur bones out of foam then coated them with epoxy putty and then textured them, then molded them then painted that. (If any of you are in Baltimore, you can see these in the t rex at the Maryland science Center... most of that dino is cast from real bones, but the missingbnoes were carved this way).

But basically I shy away from reconstruction.. I am a purist. I cringe when I see those Lebanese and Chinese fossils outlined, as well as Wyoming fish that have been painted.

Dan.... I'm with you... I like my fossils complete but as you say they sometimes get naturally worn or broken or even damaged when being collected... Restoration is mainly for asthetic purposes I agree although I know one prepper who undertook to carve complete ammonites from pieces for someone who was actually studying them... so they could visualise the complete shell...Museums display fossils that have been restored in some way and the restoration ' blended in ' so it doesnt show... the decision for or against is down to whoever finds the fossil really or who is going to display it... I'd personally never be cheeky to try and impose my views of what to do on someone elses ' fossil find ' ... But as you say if your buying fossils... it would be nice to know... because reconstruction lessens the value somewhat and no one likes to be ripped off !...

Fillers ...We all have preferences Ive never tried car body filler... is it easy to use and whats the drying time?... I have always opted for Milliput for restoring missing pieces...

Finishes...Artists varnish for sure and furniture wax like with the Whitby material... seems to give them a nice lustre...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Besides gluing pieces back together, I prefer to restore as little as possible. My modest experience is limited to cephalopods. If there is a hole where a small piece is missing, I'll fill it in with glue mixed with crushed matrix. If a larger section is missing, I'll fill it in to match the form with a material that is noticeably different in color. One example:

post-6808-0-85434300-1359020017_thumb.jpg

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.