What Books Would The Fossil Forum Consider As "must Reads" For Amateur Fossil Collector?

claire01

I live in North Texas and currently have a (well worn) copy of "A Field Guide to Fossils of Texas", but was wondering if anyone could recommend a few others that I would find helpful.

• I found this Informative 1

"Fossil Crinoids" by H. Hess I :wub: that book. Tells about the Greatest crinoid localities from all over the world and the pics are fanominal! I also like a book about taxonomy called description of species helps to understand the naming.

http://images.angusrobertson.com.au/images/ar/97805215/9780521524407/0/0/plain/fossil-crinoids.jpg

I see this being a good thread :popcorn:

-CQ

Claire,

Not sure about MUST reads, but I think the "The National Audubon Field Guide to North American Fossils" is a good overall book.

As is "The Fossil Book: A Record of Prehistoric Life"

I would also suggest that you try to read any scientific papers on the areas/formations you hunt. You can find them by googling the formation names, or the names of well known scientists who have studied your area + PDF. For example - in my area I would search for "Newark Supergroup + Fossils+ PDF" and that would give me some hits on papers written about the area.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

'Fossils for Amateurs' by Russell P. MacFall and Jay Wollin is an excellent read. I believe it's currently out of print, but it should be available on Amazon.

Context is critical.

The Song of the Dodo, Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinction, David Quammen, Scribner, New York, 1996

This is not directly about fossils, but for me it was invaluable for "seeing." It is wonderfully written and I think it will enhance any fossil enthusiast's larger view.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I'd agree with Missourian. Fossils for Amateurs was the book I first learned about microfossils - still remember the photo - a pencil point next to a very small brachiopod.

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

I'd agree with Missourian. Fossils for Amateurs was the book I first learned about microfossils - still remember the photo - a pencil point next to a very small brachiopod.

I got started with this book as well. Great book. It tells you so much you need to know about not just fossils, but how and where look for them, legalities, preparation and so much more. And has good photos.

I agree fossils for Amatuers was one of my first and a must have. Also high on my list

Wonderful Life ( I have probably read this one 5 times)

Fossil Ecosystems of North America (Nudds & Seldon) (Again I have read this one many many times)

A Sea without Fish

Trilobite! (Richard Fortey) ( A must read for the trilobite collector)

Cradle of Life (Schopf)

T-Rex and the Crater of Doom (Alvarez)

Life Pulse (Eldredge)

These are all readily available used from places like ABE Books and are affordable

Not so affordable

Fossil Crinoids (Hess)

Index Fossils of North America (Shrimer & Shrock)

Exceptional Fossil Preservation

The Invertebrate Treatise (many volumes)

Handbook of Paleontological Techniques (Kummel)

You should check out the threads in the "Fossil Literature" section of the forum. Many of us talk about and review a variety of books.

You might consider:

Eyewitness Handbooks: Fossils by Cyril Walker and David Ward

and also:

Eyewitness Books: Fossil

(both books released by DK Publishing)

I had dinosaur and prehistoric mammal books before I collected fossils. When I started collecting, one of the first books I bought was "A Pictorial Guide to Fossils" by Gerard Case. Mine is a 1982 edition but I understand there is a newer one.

Jess

I live in North Texas and currently have a (well worn) copy of "A Field Guide to Fossils of Texas", but was wondering if anyone could recommend a few others that I would find helpful.

That is a fantastic book - one of my favorites. As you say, Quammen does incorporate paleontology into his view of evolution and extinction. I wish I wrote like he does.

The Song of the Dodo, Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinction, David Quammen, Scribner, New York, 1996

This is not directly about fossils, but for me it was invaluable for "seeing." It is wonderfully written and I think it will enhance any fossil enthusiast's larger view.

An older book, but very interesting, is "The Dinosaur Heresies" by Robert T. Bakker. It was published in 1986, when warm-bloodedness for dinos was starting to become a common point of view, it details why, and also one of the few books that I have read that talks much about the Permian fauna.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Great suggestions from the Forum! I have an extensive library and it breaks down into three major categories:

General field guides such as the Audubon book or Fossils for Amateurs. These are very useful for general information about types of fossils, collecting methods, collection organization, etc.

Localized Field Guides and books such as the Texas Fossils book, The many paleo publications of the Houston and Dallas clubs, etc. These are great for making much more specific IDs as well as understanding the local geology. The state geo survey also sells lots of good stuff. You can also get really deep into professional/academic papers, reports and dissertations.

Popular geo/paleo books such as the many works suggested above. I am always picking up new books on human evolution and at one time read everything on dinosaurs I could snag.

I think you should hit the local library to se what they have and if those look good then buy your own copies.

But you can spend a great deal more on books than fossils so don't get hooked. NO, I take that back, second to fossils, books would are always worth spending money on.

Yes, state survey publications can be excellent sources of information. I've had the most luck with publications printed from about 1930 through the 1960s. Earlier ones are rather general and vague, while later ones tend to be more technical than useful for people like us. When looking for pubs, search by fossil type(s), area (your county, nearby counties), stratigraphic unit (Cretaceous, formation, group, etc.), or a combination. And dont' forget to check those published by surveys and universities in surrounding states. They may have included fossils in your area in their studies.

Also, if you're interested, you may find useful books that cover fields related to fossils, such as sedimentology, stratigraphy, paleoecology, etc. These may help with understanding the context of the fossil-bearing sediments and the modes of preservation.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

An older book, but very interesting, is "The Dinosaur Heresies" by Robert T. Bakker. It was published in 1986, when warm-bloodedness for dinos was starting to become a common point of view, it details why, and also one of the few books that I have read that talks much about the Permian fauna.

Brent Ashcraft

A similar one would be The Hot-Blooded Dinosaurs, by Adrian Desmond, 1975, there has been at least one reprint.

If you check out the geological survey sites of many states you can usually find some nice older books that you can download for free. The Gutenburg Project website has a lot of older books and pubs for free downloads.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Y'all are awesome, thanks for all the great suggestions. I have a lot to learn and you're help is very much appreciated.

Used book shops, including Goodwill, are always worth checking out. And some of those folks will take want lists from you and let you know when stuff shows up. If you find ones in a college town they will often have great general geo or paleo books that can be half the price.

Since I'm not at all knowledgable about invertebrates, having a good reference for them is critical to me. Although it is way out of date, I still find that "Index Fossils of North America" by Schermer and Shrock is absolutely the best single reference around. Copies are usually available either at Amazon of Bookfinder

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Yes, and I still check my copy of Invertebrate Fossils (1952) by Moore, Lalicker, and Fischer when I have a question about anatomy, a question about chronologic range or when I am looking for an illustration of something. Sometimes Google images are very limited and you have to go to an actual book.

Since I'm not at all knowledgable about invertebrates, having a good reference for them is critical to me. Although it is way out of date, I still find that "Index Fossils of North America" by Schermer and Shrock is absolutely the best single reference around. Copies are usually available either at Amazon of Bookfinder

Yes, and I still check my copy of Invertebrate Fossils (1952) by Moore, Lalicker, and Fischer when I have a question about anatomy, a question about chronologic range or when I am looking for an illustration of something. Sometimes Google images are very limited and you have to go to an actual book.

I would agree that both of these are invaluable references for a a serious collector of invertebrates. Again look for them used.

I remember reading a copy of "The Fossil Book: A Record of Prehistoric Life" by the Fentons when I was about 12 years old. Now I see that there is a new edition edited by Tom Rich and Pat Vickers-Rich. I haven't seen it, but knowing the authors, it will be good.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I just finished reading a fascinating book that provided this newbie a great overview of what came before us: The Story of Earth by Robert Hazen. It is one of the best science books I have ever read. In addition to tons of information, there is also considerable food for thought. It is high on my ''must re-read'' list.