Castle Hayne, Nc Quarry Trip.

masonboro37

I led a trip with the East Coast Fossil Club to the Castle Hayne quarry in NC this morning. The Castle Hayne quarry consists of awesome Eocene, Castle Hayne Formation piles and then areas of Cretaceous material in some other areas. Alot of the Cretaceous piles do have reworked material. Two East Coast Fossil club members, including myself and a member's son came. There were more members and some friends scheduled to go, but with the nasty weather coming I can sure understand the cancellations I will have to say it was frigid out there today and the sprinkle of rain began about 12:30 pm. We were not allowed access to the big Eocene hills today or another area due to a change in the blast schedule. That was ok by us, we just thought positive and tooted to the area we were allowed to hunt in. I had actually been to this spot before and today it seemed as though there had been more material added. Unfortunatly, the new material had been added over the Cretaceus mix. A big, mucky, muddy mess this spot was! Thinking positive, we headed to an area down a steep embankment and checked out some of the hills there. These hill's were reworked again, it was everywhere. I did find a line of the Castle Hayne Formation down a slope with broken echinoids and some bryozoan specimins. Moving on we decided to head down the road to another area which had some Eocene areas in the back part. Unfortunatly, blast signs were up and we decided to call it a day!

Both my fossil friends found some teeth today and an internal cast to a large gastropod. We had a great time visiting about fossils and the different places we have gone to. I heard all about Aurora and how amazing it is. I was drooling at this point thinking about Aurora and listening close to every word! Eventhough the trip was not what we had anticipated, being able to meet other fossil collectors means so much more to me. Hearing the stories and creating new friendships along with fossil collecting is priceless in my book!

I have posted some pic's just to share....and thank you to Martin Marietta in Castle Hayne for allowing the ECFC to have an excursion today!

Libby

post-7899-0-98821000-1359144133_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Pic 1: Yep, that is just ole' me thinking positive with a smile. Standind in the muck which is now over the Cretaceous material. There were lot's of dear, what looked like coyote and bobcat prints around.

pic 2: Interesting area of dry flora and big muck pile behind it. :)

post-7899-0-82175300-1359144195_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-06599100-1359144281_thumb.jpg

Some of the specimens from the reworked piles.....

Pic 2: Not sure if this is bone, looks like bone to something.

Pic 1: bivalve, oyster.

post-7899-0-97389800-1359144638_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-01452900-1359144747_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

My friends son's finds....This was his first time ever fossil hunting!

post-7899-0-73317000-1359144932_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-75341200-1359144972_thumb.jpg

Great report. I have been to several mines in NC for collecting, including Aurora, but I have never had a chance to go into Castle Hayne. You can always tell dedicated fossil collectors when cold weather and a winter storm will not stop them. Sounds like everyone had fun.....cool.....

The bivalve is the right valve of Exogyra costata Say, 1820

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Did you get that big ric right by your foot?

Teehee, I scoured that area. If you see one by my foot then I must have been blind and senile out there today. :)

Edited by masonboro37

The bivalve is the right valve of Exogyra costata Say, 1820

Thank you Mike!

Great report. I have been to several mines in NC for collecting, including Aurora, but I have never had a chance to go into Castle Hayne. You can always tell dedicated fossil collectors when cold weather and a winter storm will not stop them. Sounds like everyone had fun.....cool.....

Hi, it was fun. I am still cold and my toes looked purple when I got home. It was worth it though. This particular quarry produces some beautiful echinoids when you can hunt in the Eocene piles. Thanks stonesnbones!

The first pic you posted, the insitu one, Could you post a pic of it on a paper towel or something so i can see a clearer view, its a nice find!

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

The first pic you posted, the insitu one, Could you post a pic of it on a paper towel or something so i can see a clearer view, its a nice find!

Hey Zach! I need to clean the tooth more and I think the root is damaged. Thanks for looking at it! Here is a new pic you requested. I found a tiny vertebrae too.

post-7899-0-66757000-1359152026_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-63774500-1359152127_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

Teehee, I scoured that area. If you see one by my foot then I must have been blind and senile out there today. :)

Ok, I think I may see the tooth you are talking about or I am delusional from the cold today.

Very nice Serratolamna koerti Libby, if I am correct in my ID. Wish I could have made it today, but with the extra busy night at work last night, I just wasn't up for the drive home. Ended up taking a long nap today. Was snowing here earlier, now sleeting. This weather bites, needs to go back up north and leave us southerners alone.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Very nice Serratolamna koerti Libby, if I am correct in my ID. Wish I could have made it today, but with the extra busy night at work last night, I just wasn't up for the drive home. Ended up taking a long nap today. Was snowing here earlier, now sleeting. This weather bites, needs to go back up north and leave us southerners alone.

Thanks Don! I have misplaced my main shark tooth id book. Think I left it at work. I wish you could have come today aswell. Fossil hunting was not the best, but would have been great to visit. SNOW! Just cold rain here for now and I think that is all my area will have tonight. This weather does bite, I am ready for Spring! We should plan to hit Belgrade again. I have waders now and could do GMR at some point.

Very nice finds and report!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I'll second wolffish's comment. :)

Thanks for posting Libby.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Libby, you wrote--" I have misplaced my main shark tooth id book"

Dont forget elasmo.com is only a mouse click away. Click on the Fauna link to access the Castle Hayne pages.

That koerti is beautiful! I'm drooling.

Pat.

Nice finds. I think your tooth is Serratolamna serrata, a Cretaceous tooth. Your fossil of the piece of bone looks interesting, What size is it and is it round in cross section?

Very nice finds and report!

Thank you CH4ShotCaller!

Great report Libby. I always look forward to your reports and pics, and I'm never disappointed!

Wolffish, I appreciate that, thank you. I have so much fun exploring out and about. :)

I'll second wolffish's comment. :)

Thanks for posting Libby.

Regards,

Hi Tim! Hope you are having a great weekend. Thanks for checking out my excursion. :)

Libby, you wrote--" I have misplaced my main shark tooth id book"

Dont forget elasmo.com is only a mouse click away. Click on the Fauna link to access the Castle Hayne pages.

That koerti is beautiful! I'm drooling.

Pat.

Hi Pat! I was wondering where you have been. Maybe I have just missed you when you have been on the forum. Elasmo is a great site. I tend to forget about it, which I should not do.I took your advice and went into the link for Castle Hayne, very helpful. How is everything in Aurora? Thank you!