Castle Hayne, Nc Quarry Trip.

masonboro37

Nice finds. I think your tooth is Serratolamna serrata, a Cretaceous tooth. Your fossil of the piece of bone looks interesting, What size is it and is it round in cross section?

Good afternoon Al Dente! I have been looking at Elasmo, Pat reminded me of the site. Looks like maybe an upper lateral, not sure. Found the serrata, several examples. The tooth has four visible cuspets and then a minute one on the facial aspect, right side. I could not find an example of an koerti, still looking there and other online avenues. I took some new pic's. The "bone" specimen is not round, sort of flat oval except for the larger end. Thanks again.

post-7899-0-58135300-1359229528_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-15797900-1359229544_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-44479800-1359229640_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Good afternoon Al Dente! I have been looking at Elasmo, Pat reminded me of the site. Looks like maybe an upper lateral, not sure. Found the serrata, several examples. The tooth has four visible cuspets and then a minute one on the facial aspect, right side. I could not find an example of an koerti, still looking there and other online avenues. I took some new pic's. The "bone" specimen is not round, sort of flat oval except for the larger end.

Pic of lingual aspect of tooth.

post-7899-0-04741700-1359229749_thumb.jpg

Well done... Very nice finds and thanks for sharing them with us...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Pic of lingual aspect of tooth.

I like the blue, pink, and green color.

Context is critical.

Nice finds. I think your tooth is Serratolamna serrata, a Cretaceous tooth. Your fossil of the piece of bone looks interesting, What size is it and is it round in cross section?

Libby,

I agree with Al Dente. It looks like a Serratolamna serrata to me.

I have no idea what your bone is. It has an interesting surface. Hopefully you will be able to find out and let us know.

Hi masonboro... The bone looks to me like the end of a soft-shelled turtle spike. We get them fairly commonly out here in both the Cretaceous and the Eocene. Soemtimes they even come attached to larger pieces of the shell. Your pix and description fits it.

Se this photo I found on the interwebs... the spines are on the belly part (the plastron) and can be seen sticking out from underneath on both sides of this guy.

Soft-shelled turtle with fishes (Apalone sp. - Eocene; Fossil Lake, Wyoming)

Edited by jpc

Libby,

I agree with Al Dente. It looks like a Serratolamna serrata to me.

I am in agreement after researching. Thank you!

Hi masonboro... The bone looks to me like the end of a soft-shelled turtle spike. We get them fairly commonly out here in both the Cretaceous and the Eocene. Soemtimes they even come attached to larger pieces of the shell. Your pix and description fits it.

Se this photo I found on the interwebs... the spines are on the belly part (the plastron) and can be seen sticking out from underneath on both sides of this guy.

http://www.flickr.co...ity/4036520424/

Hi jpc, thank you for looking at the suspect specimen. That is very interesting and I would have never thought of turtle material. The pic from the link does look similar and I am looking into soft shell turtle species in my area. Thank you for the information! Very appreciated!

• 5 months later...

In your trips to the Castle Hayne formation areas do you ever come across members of the pecten family? I have seen some photos you posted of Pecten membranosus (Morton, 1834). I would be interested to know of any other pectens from this area?