Strange Invert Fossil In Marine Sediments

mako-mama

Hi all,

I found this ?fossil couple of years ago and have been unable to find anyone who could identify. Hoping some of you might point me in the right direction. It was found at Lee Creek Mine, Aurora in a matrix of coarse sand and reddish clay.It appears to be complete except for a couple of chips. Also present were some tiny clams and a few gastropds--all Pleistocene.

Thanks.

post-286-0-97481800-1360043997_thumb.jpg post-286-0-99880700-1360044125_thumb.jpg

post-286-0-87265400-1360044203_thumb.jpg

Hmm not sure but the first thing that popped into my head was coral of some sort. Which means exact zero just a thought.

Hi the bottom photo looks very like a tiny limpet that has been partially covered by sediment ? just a thought

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

two things come to mind Mako Mama. There is a calcitic growth that occurs in thick pelecypod shells such as Mercenaria. If the large shell was dissolved away this object would remain. Am thinking this thing is mentioned in the first Aurora book. Am away from references at work but will look it up at home this evening or next. The other possibility is a sponge since you mentioned red clay. A layer of red clay in some weathered Castle Hayne exposures has abundant sponges and nothing else. Guess the same thing could occur in the Pleistocene at Aurora. Your specimen appears to have radial symmetry like some of the sponges. Have seen otoliths vaguely similar to this. All this just guesses of course!

Edited by Plax

My first guess would be a sponge. If it is a sponge you should be able to see some texture under magnification similar to the picture below from a Castle Hayne Formation sponge. My other guess would be coralline algae.

post-2301-0-80018200-1360074275_thumb.jpg

Is otolith a possibility?

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Pat, my first thought was Otolith - but I know you know your otoliths so ... a tiny cap to a mushroom? J/K :)

Daryl.

Plax, I believe that growth you speak of is called Mclellana aenigma. I have many of those in my collection, and this fossil is quite different. I also have a huge collecton of otoliths (and some broken large ones). This growth pattern is quite different from otolith growth rings. Sponges would be in the realm of possibility, but finding info on those seems to escape me. Any good internet references-with images? There is no texture at all on the lighter surface-looks almost buffed. I checked that early on-hoping it might be a turtle barnacle. Thanks to all of you-please keep thinking.

Hi,

I didn't see enough fossil otoliths to be able to pronounce, but at first glance, your fossil doesn't apprear to me to be it.

Mako-mama, I would be interested to see your collection of otoliths. Do you manage to identify them ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Another thing that might be worth looking into are crayfish 'gastroliths', which can develop into a shape like that.

I just happened to be reading about cephalopods and when I came across the subject of statoliths this post came to mind. Do you suppose it could be from a large squid ?

Hey Rock,

Well that's another path to pursue. I know so little about any fossils other than Mio/Pliocene fish and crabs, you guys are my salvation. I'll try to find some internet info. I do know squid "beaks" are pretty uncommon from here-but not unknown entirely. Thanks!

Pat