Fossil Sponges From Russia

Evgeny Kotelevsky

Since you mentioned uploading sponges ( :) ), do you have any idea what this sponge could be?:

post-6808-0-56985900-1380357910_thumb.jpg

Argentine Limestone, Kasimovian, Pennsylvanian

Clay County, Missouri

It reminds me of Maeandrostia, but the diameter (3 mm) is smaller than usual, and the internal structure is much finer.

I've been calling it 'Fissispongia', but that's probably no more than a guess....

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Since you mentioned uploading sponges ( :) ), do you have any idea what this sponge could be?:

attachicon.gif2404-Argentine-sponge-Tubiphytes.jpg

Argentine Limestone, Kasimovian, Pennsylvanian

Clay County, Missouri

It reminds me of Maeandrostia, but the diameter (3 mm) is smaller than usual, and the internal structure is much finer.

I've been calling it 'Fissispongia', but that's probably no more than a guess....

I have no literature on Carboniferous sponges (((( But for me it looks like Maeandrostia sp....may be it is young specimen or small in size...may be it was cut near "beginning"...try to prep it out to see how much sponge is left

You have probably seen my sponges before:

post-4372-0-67778100-1380433759_thumb.jpg post-4372-0-98488500-1380433765_thumb.jpg post-4372-0-57042800-1380433772_thumb.jpg

I think I have a confident ID (thanks to 'Piranha' Scott who sent me the paper) of Hormathospongia (dictyota), gen./sp. described from Northern California. It's interesting that you have such a diversity whereas I have only ever found this one species here! I know the Cretaceous was the heyday of the sponges, but maybe it's only certain habitats or taphonomy. Probably your area and mine were completely different paleoenvironments or provinces?

But show it to Dr. Pervushov anyway - I would be curious to hear what he thinks!

post-4372-0-68023600-1380434021_thumb.jpg

You have probably seen my sponges before:

attachicon.gifTz233Hormathospongia.jpg attachicon.gifTz463 Sponge.jpg attachicon.gifTz464 sponge.jpg

I think I have a confident ID (thanks to 'Piranha' Scott who sent me the paper) of Hormathospongia (dictyota), gen./sp. described from Northern California. It's interesting that you have such a diversity whereas I have only ever found this one species here! I know the Cretaceous was the heyday of the sponges, but maybe it's only certain habitats or taphonomy. Probably your area and mine were completely different paleoenvironments or provinces?

But show it to Dr. Pervushov anyway - I would be curious to hear what he thinks!

attachicon.gifHormathospongia-page-shr.jpg

I'll show it to prof. Pervushov next week

Name: Napaeana absoluta subspecies "bini"

Class: Hexactinellida

Primary autonomy.

Napaeana absoluta subspecies "bini"

Primary autonomies appear due to polymerization of initial sponge module by gemmation or fission mechanism failure.

Mechanism of polymerization of initial sponge module you can see at the scheme below.

post-11087-0-26841200-1381000469_thumb.jpg

This one is particularly interesting; thank you!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have similar 'Siamese-twin'-appearing sponges. Can separate individuals merge together when in close proximity?

Context is critical.

I have similar 'Siamese-twin'-appearing sponges. Can separate individuals merge together when in close proximity?

I can't separate them...they have single osculum and different sterms (last figure on the scheme)

I can't separate them...they have single osculum and different sterms (last figure on the scheme)

I meant, can two separate sponges merge their bodies together, or does it have to be two parts of the same sponge?

Context is critical.

Can you show them? ))))))

I had this one in mind, which is two branches merging together:

post-6808-0-32459300-1381015413_thumb.jpg

But I can't tell if any of my Heliospongia merges are separate individuals.

Context is critical.

I meant, can two separate sponges merge their bodies together, or does it have to be two parts of the same sponge?

There are 2 types of autonomies:

1. 2 or more sponges form a single sponge with a big single osculum but with separate sterms

2. 2 or more sponges form a single sponge with different osculums and remain separated by their general wall

So if 2 or more sponges merge their bodies, they become parts of a big single sponge :) But this happens due to reproduction mechanism failure! Autonomies, formed in close proximities are unknown.

• I found this Informative 1

I had this one in mind, which is two branches merging together:

attachicon.gifpost-6808-0-58497600-1355217194.jpg

But I can't tell if any of my Heliospongia merges are separate individuals.

Heliospongia is a colony sponge. Colony modules can merge together, but they can't form autonomy. Colonies and autonomies are different types of organization of sponges.

• I found this Informative 1

OK, I'm not a sponge lover.... I don't know much about them, but I've been watching this topic for some time now and I have a new appreciation of fossil sponges. Evgeny, your presentation is striking and interesting.

:thumbsu:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

OK, I'm not a sponge lover.... I don't know much about them, but I've been watching this topic for some time now and I have a new appreciation of fossil sponges. Evgeny, your presentation is striking and interesting.

:thumbsu:

Thanks! ))))