Johnson County, Kansas Fossil Hunt

Missourian

Kinda' depends on how rough-looking the gang that left was... ;)

I don't think any of us looked too clean cut after crawling around on our hands and knees all day, especially toward the end. She did kinda glance over my shoulder and give me a funny look when she saw a bunch of rocks and a giant hornet's nest in the back of my Jeep... I didn't get home til almost 9:30 last night but I will be downloading some new software for picture editing tonight as soon as I get home, as soon as I can figure out how to use it I'll have some pics up.

Really nice haul.

My favorites is the Stenodomatoceras (#19), followed by the, Euconospira (#16-17), Gonioloboceras (#18), and Strobeus (#4-5).

Did you get that big Cordaites leaf?

Context is critical.

I did....its somewhere, I think it may be burried in my car some where along with another sponge branch similiar to the one I gave you. I was in a bit of a hurry to try and get them up here so I didn't go digging for them...again. :P

Ahh yes. Strobeus, spot on ID. Any guesses on the plant, shark tooth fragment or cephalopod fragment? I seem to recall seeing a ceph with the same ridged segments on here a while back but I can't seem to find it now.

Besides fossils, I picked up a few whimsical objects along the way....

Pliable rock:

post-6808-0-31160700-1361444710_thumb.jpg

It will make a nice back scratcher: :)The limestone is very dense and breaks into angular fragments that make a clinking sound when handled.

Lolwut:

post-6808-0-91540900-1361444705_thumb.jpg

This thing looks like something created by Salvador Dali or Dr. Seuss.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Here are a few more fossils found on this hunt! Not the most well preserved but worthy of a place on this thread! :)

post-7046-0-34415900-1361452267_thumb.jpgBullsnake

post-7046-0-00442100-1361452284_thumb.jpgKehbe

post-7046-0-37544000-1361452482_thumb.jpgMissourian

post-7046-0-65438800-1361452557_thumb.jpgJeepDigger

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Then there is this tooth I found, post-7046-0-94108100-1361452768_thumb.jpgpost-7046-0-43915100-1361453038_thumb.jpgpost-7046-0-10887200-1361453060_thumb.jpg

possibly sandalodus.

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Besides fossils, I picked up a few whimsical objects along the way....

...Lolwut:

attachicon.gif3476-lolwut.jpg

This thing looks like something created by Salvador Dali or Dr. Seuss.

Or a wraith from Harry Potter...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What wasn't hiding was the Kansas highway patrol. A trooper stopped and came up to one in the group and said we had to leave because ramps are part of the interstate system. I've stopped at interstate ramps for 25 year and never had a problem. He also said that we're not allowed to be there because it is the property of the state of Kansas (wouldn't it be federal property?). I'm sorry, but I have doubts about this. And finally, he said "we can look but not collect". Um, I don't think there are any laws banning collecting fossils in Kansas. I heard the trooper was quite young, so who knows?....

ops... this remembers me something :)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/31885-missourikansas-pennsylvanian-hunt-with-special-guests/?hl=nando

Nice to see you guys had fun :)

regards

Nando

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/