Slow Collecting But Beautiful Weather.

Caleb

The weather was too nice on Saturday, April 27th to stay inside and work on house projects so I took a day off and went collecting. I hit up 2 different sites in the Maquoketa formation of Southeast Minnesota in search of trilobites and maybe crinoids. Unfortunately I didn't find either. I saw a bunch of parts of trilobites, but nothing rare/nice enough to warrant joining my collection, mostly Isotelus and Flexicalymene parts. I ended up only bringing one rock home, which may be a new low record for me. However, that one rock is pretty cool. It's a small piece containing 8 Ischadites iowensis. I have only collected a small handful of these unusual things and this is the most I have ever seen on one rock. Before this the most I had seen grouped together were 3, so 8 was a very big surprise.

Ischadites iowensis (Owen, 1852)

Maquoketa Formation

Upper Ordovician, Richmondian

Southeast Minnesota

post-3840-0-51665800-1367198433_thumb.jpg

post-3840-0-90898000-1367198435_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caleb

I will be glad to trade you weather 4/29 snow, cold, no fossil hunting up here yet

Calgary Alberta

Wow..... eight receptaculids in one piece. That would have made my day.

Context is critical.

I will be glad to trade you weather 4/29 snow, cold, no fossil hunting up here yet

Calgary Alberta

I understand, it's been a very slow spring, if one can call it that, this year. There's snow again in the forecast later this week down here.

Wow..... eight receptaculids in one piece. That would have made my day.

This site is always fun because I never know what I'm going to find. It's a site where breaking the rock is the best way to find fossils so when something like this is split out it's exciting. The Ischadites at this site are generally well preserved and 3d, so hopefully these will prep out well and sit above the rock.

Caleb,

Thanks for posting these. I have never seen these before, so it is a treat to see something new to me. :)

Hope the prep goes well on this.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Calgary Alberta

We've almost hit 90 multiple times this year already. It's going to be a hot summer for us down south. I bet it'll be 110 by August 1st.