May 2013 Finds Of The Month

Cris

Wow this month's contest is a real feast for the eyes!!! :popcorn:

Late Devonian:

Super Rare partial Placoderm Skull ( Tentative) found May 20, 2013.

Found in Shallows of Lake Huron

ON Canada

Kettle Point Formation

attachicon.gifIMGP4461a.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP4461a.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP4450a.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP4451a.JPG

PL

It's going to be a tough vote for sure, but I have to comment on the local find...nice one! I sure didn't see anything like that when I visited Kettle Point last year! I hope it is a placoderm, that would be really cool!

Hi Gus,

Although your photos are a bit fuzzy, the starfish is a very close match for Hudsonaster. Attached for comparison is H. wardi from the middle Devonian of the Mahantango Fm. The genus is recorded as early as the Ordovician so a lower Devonian find would fit very nicely. Hopefully with the specimen in hand you can confirm the plate characteristics are consistent with Hudsonaster. Congrats on a spectacular NY fossil starfish! happy0144.gif

post-4301-0-46726500-1369775820_thumb.jpg

Cramer, H.R. (1959)

Devonian starfish from Pike County, Pennsylvania.

Journal of Paleontology 33(3):471-473

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I'd like to see a more in focus photo as well. Although Hudsonaster came to mind, so did Devonaster (photo from Forum member Crinus' excellent web site).

Don

Edited by FossilDAWG

I thought about not submitting this but a few others suggested that this was a worthy find that should make it into the fray.

So after some deliberation I think that I need to submit this little gem as it is really a quite spectacular specimen. Overall, this is the best specimen that I have seen from this location. I have no hesitation is calling it Museum grade.

It was collected on May 18th,2013 and has had not had any preparation. In fact the only thing that I intend to do with it is square up the two plates to leave a 2 to 3 inch margin on all sides of the fossil

Eurypterus lacustrus

Upper Silurian

Williamsville A formation

Stevensville , Ontario, Canada

Size 172 mm tip of tail to tip of head (6.77 inches for the non metric folk)

What you see in this picture is the positive and negative plate on the quarry floor, the one on the right is still in the floor the one on the left is the top plate where it was flipped over besides the bottom plate

post-4886-0-70795500-1369786026_thumb.jpg

You can see a little bit more about the find in this post on the forum

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/37694-an-unseasonably-cold-wet-miserable-day/

For those of you in the NYPS or Dry Dredgers , I will have it with me along with other specimens when you come up for your collecting trip . I look forward to meeting up with many of you again in person.

Edited by Cris

Here is the close up view of the eurypterid, it would not let me put it in the previous post

post-4886-0-28677600-1369786369_thumb.jpg

DEVONIAN COMMUNITY

Found this seafloor slab on May 25th. and finished the prep on the 28th. of May. There are eight Eldredgeops on it as well as a large Gastropod (snail), Bryozoans, Crinoid plate/stem, Coral, and Brachiopod. When I found it all I saw was one trilobite and the rest came to light during the prep. Thanks for looking, good luck to all who entered, and happy collecting to all!

Mikey

post-7129-0-64173000-1369844090_thumb.jpg

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

DEVONIAN COMMUNITY

Found this seafloor slab on May 25th. and finished the prep on the 28th. of May. There are eight Eldredgeops on it as well as a large Gastropod (snail), Bryozoans, Crinoid plate/stem, Coral, and Brachiopod. When I found it all I saw was one trilobite and the rest came to light during the prep. Thanks for looking, good luck to all who entered, and happy collecting to all!

Mikey

Wow Mikey, that is incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!! :goodjob:

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Wow this month's contest is a real feast for the eyes!!! :popcorn:

It's going to be a tough vote for sure, but I have to comment on the local find...nice one! I sure didn't see anything like that when I visited Kettle Point last year! I hope it is a placoderm, that would be really cool!

Definitely Placoderm bone ... but which part? think it is the dorsal skull region ... awaiting for Dr. Bob Carr opinion....

PL

I thought about not submitting this but a few others suggested that this was a worthy find that should make it into the fray.

So after some deliberation I think that I need to submit this little gem as it is really a quite spectacular specimen. Overall, this is the best specimen that I have seen from this location. I have no hesitation is calling it Museum grade.

It was collected on May 18th,2013 and has had not had any preparation. In fact the only thing that I intend to do with it is square up the two plates to leave a 2 to 3 inch margin on all sides of the fossil

Eurypterus lacustrus

Upper Devonian

Williamsville A formation

Stevensville , Ontario, Canada

Size 172 mm tip of tail to tip of head (6.77 inches for the non metric folk)

What you see in this picture is the positive and negative plate on the quarry floor, the one on the right is still in the floor the one on the left is the top plate where it was flipped over besides the bottom plate

attachicon.gifEurypterid May 24,2013 Cropped 1.jpg

You can see a little bit more about the find in this post on the forum

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/37694-an-unseasonably-cold-wet-miserable-day/

For those of you in the NYPS or Dry Dredgers , I will have it with me along with other specimens when you come up for your collecting trip . I look forward to meeting up with many of you again in person.

Nice Find Malcolm!

The Forum is groaning under the weight of this month's spectacular entries!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well I haven't entered anything in years but I just finished prepping one of my finds from the Early Triassic Thaynes formation near Cowboy pass. It's both sides which is rare for a matrix piece. It was found May 17th and prepped May 29th. The one side the matrix is polished and on the other left natural. Inyoites oweni

post-1292-0-23826300-1369886545_thumb.jpg

post-1292-0-29645500-1369886569_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Definitely Placoderm bone ... but which part? think it is the dorsal skull region ... awaiting for Dr. Bob Carr opinion....

PL

Dr Sue Turner has seen pictures the placoderm bone and did not dispute the initial id .... Dr Joe Botting "Anyway, the placoderm - niiiiice... certainly looks good for a partial skull to me.

" The other alternative it could be the dorsal head shield distal to skull of the placoderm possibly from a protitanichthys. PL

Edited by pleecan

Here is the close up view of the eurypterid, it would not let me put it in the previous post

attachicon.gifEurypterid May 24, 2013 Cropped 2.jpg

Hello Malcom.

I'am loving your eurypterids.

Greets, Karl

I want to die sleeping like my grandfather, not screaming like his passenger!

What a ridiculous month!!!...

Invertebrate

Prionocyclus Ammonite in a nodule

Late Cretaceous (Turonian) Carlile Shale

Discovered: May 25th, 2013

post-11220-0-46478300-1370038385_thumb.jpg post-11220-0-28623200-1370038387_thumb.jpg

...can't wait for June :) . Good luck to all!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Hi Gus,

Although your photos are a bit fuzzy, the starfish is a very close match for Hudsonaster. Attached for comparison is H. wardi from the middle Devonian of the Mahantango Fm. The genus is recorded as early as the Ordovician so a lower Devonian find would fit very nicely. Hopefully with the specimen in hand you can confirm the plate characteristics are consistent with Hudsonaster. Congrats on a spectacular NY fossil starfish! happy0144.gif

attachicon.gifHudsonaster.jpg

Cramer, H.R. (1959)

Devonian starfish from Pike County, Pennsylvania.

Journal of Paleontology 33(3):471-473

I'd like to see a more in focus photo as well. Although Hudsonaster came to mind, so did Devonaster (photo from Forum member Crinus' excellent web site).

Don

I'm not sure what happened to the photo, the original 2.9 Mb file is pretty sharp, I resized in photoshop, but I'll try to get a better example up for you to see. Thanks for the ID help, the closest I found was Dactyloides and that didn't look right.

post-3451-0-04288500-1370041351_thumb.jpg

Is this better? I re-cropped the original photo.

Thanks Gus, the new photo is much better. Hudsonaster still appears to be a good match. Attached is a line drawing for additional comparison of plates.

post-4301-0-54602900-1370045033_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

My vertebrate submission for May. This isn't my first serrated thresher, but it is in much better condition than most I have collected or seen.

1.38" Giant Serrated Thresher, Trigonotodus sp.

Found May 18th

South Carolina

Micoene

post-4422-0-54715500-1370046647_thumb.jpg

Nice tooth Jason :wub:

Thanks Scott, my ID tag will read "Hudsonaster sp." until further notice.

The Forum is groaning under the weight of this month's spectacular entries!

That is why I didn't enter this orthocone, it was too heavy!

post-3451-0-20805600-1370094757_thumb.jpg