Nice Little Oligocene Tooth From Sc

Haizahnjager

I have a guess at what this tooth is, but in an effort not to bias anyone's opinion, I will reserve my thoughts and see what you guys think.

-Rob C.

post-162-1227743574_thumb.jpg

anybody named haizahnjaeger has to be right, so i agree with you.

Essen Sie gern Jaegerschnitzel?

nur manchmal Tracer

I don't think it's tiger as all the teeth in the jaw look fairly similar (G. cuvier anyway). As a guess, I'd say Galeorhinus or Pachygaleus, but that's just a guess. I don't remember ever seeing a tooth quite this shape before.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

i am fortunate in being able to guess at such things without my perspective being clouded by actual knowledge.

for that reason, i am very confident that it's a pathological carcharhinus molar.

and the poor animal suffered from anorexia limbergosa, and its breath smelled.

i am fortunate in being able to guess at such things without my perspective being clouded by actual knowledge.

for that reason, i am very confident that it's a pathological carcharhinus molar.

"I thought you said that crossing the streams was bad!"

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

"I thought you said that crossing the streams was bad!"

:P "Who ya gonna' call" when you need a proper ID?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Just a little extra info: I have found seven teeth of this form thus far (one not pictured), which would seemingly not support a pathology argument.

post-162-1227761162_thumb.jpg

them other teeth don't look as funkitated as the lead-off one did.

see, this is why i don't think people should collect shark teeth. they should just send them all to tracer jr., cuz he just puts them in his room and believes whatever i tell him about what they were from.

he's got one big one he thinks is from a "chompalorhinus spurtissimus"

Just a little extra info: I have found seven teeth of this form thus far (one not pictured), which would seemingly not support a pathology argument.

Thanks for the new picture. Interesting finds. To me the bottom three look like Tigers, with the right too being symphyseal. Kindof like this tooth. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?au...si&img=3108 That being said, this is just a guess, as I'm not 100% sure that the tooth I have pictured is symphyseal and having found two would be pretty unlikely unless these are two out of hundreds or thousands of teeth you got from their.

It does seem like the others are some type of Carcharhinus teeth. If I had to guess, I would say dusky (obscurus ) or blacktip (limbatus). But again that's just a guess. Were you finding a lot of other Carcharhinus teeth in the area. Perhaps if you focused on id'ing the upper teeth, you could look for what their associated lower teeth are.

Again, interesting finds, hopefully you can get a definitive answer.

Thanks for the new picture. Interesting finds. To me the bottom three look like Tigers, with the right too being symphyseal. Kindof like this tooth. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?au...si&img=3108 That being said, this is just a guess, as I'm not 100% sure that the tooth I have pictured is symphyseal and having found two would be pretty unlikely unless these are two out of hundreds or thousands of teeth you got from their.

It does seem like the others are some type of Carcharhinus teeth. If I had to guess, I would say dusky (obscurus ) or blacktip (limbatus). But again that's just a guess. Were you finding a lot of other Carcharhinus teeth in the area. Perhaps if you focused on id'ing the upper teeth, you could look for what their associated lower teeth are.

Again, interesting finds, hopefully you can get a definitive answer.

I am finding Carcharhinus and Galeocerdo teeth in abundance at this location. The seven teeth are out of probably 5000 I have collected there so far.

This must have taken place during the time in the evolution of the species where it actually breathed atmospheric air, but well before the invention of the breath mint. :rolleyes:

The roots look a little to thick to me, even for Carcharinus sp. lowers. :huh?:

• I found this Informative 1

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

The tooth is a symphyseal or parasymphyseal from a Physogaleus (Galeocerdo) contortus. I have found several of them in the Miocene sediments of the Calvert and Pungo formations. I think I also have one from the Chandler Bridge formation in Summerville, S.C.

• I found this Informative 1

The tooth is a symphyseal or parasymphyseal from a Physogaleus (Galeocerdo) contortus. I have found several of them in the Miocene sediments of the Calvert and Pungo formations. I think I also have one from the Chandler Bridge formation in Summerville, S.C.

I'm with Ron on this one. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Me too.

Well, I must to say that Ron could be very right, looking my teeth, if I did put this little tooth the first, years ago, in this (not serious) half jaw reconstruction, was because, for sure, I was comparing with an extant Galeocerdo jaws.

Thus, me too :blush:

post-41-1227885202_thumb.jpg

post-41-1227885217_thumb.jpg

Thank you everyone for the great insight. I too, believe it to be a symphyseal tiger. I was thinking if it were in fact a Carcharhinus symphyseal, I should have 5 times as many. Thanks again everyone!

Thank you everyone for the great insight. I too, believe it to be a symphyseal tiger. I was thinking if it were in fact a Carcharhinus symphyseal, I should have 5 times as many. Thanks again everyone!

I would agre thats it's a tiger as well. take a look at the serrations under magnification and they are most likely much larger than your typical carchcarhinus