Nice Little Oligocene Tooth From Sc

Haizahnjager

On 11/27/2008 at 11:40 AM, PaleoRon said:

The tooth is a symphyseal or parasymphyseal from a Physogaleus (Galeocerdo) contortus. I have found several of them in the Miocene sediments of the Calvert and Pungo formations. I think I also have one from the Chandler Bridge formation in Summerville, S.C.

You have to think about it a bit first before you disagree with PaleoRon even in part on a shark tooth ID but I would go with Galeocerdo aduncus rather than Physogaleus.  It just looks more like something that would be in the range of a Galeocerdo symphyseal.

Jess

On 11/28/2008 at 7:14 AM, MB said:

Well, I must to say that Ron could be very right, looking my teeth, if I did put this little tooth the first, years ago, in this (not serious) half jaw reconstruction, was because, for sure, I was comparing with an extant Galeocerdo jaws.

Thus, me too :blush:

post-41-1227885202_thumb.jpg

post-41-1227885217_thumb.jpg

MB,

I think that little parasymphyseal tooth actually belongs to Carcharhinus.  A Galeocerdo symphyseal would have broader heels and be a little larger.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
On November 27, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Sharktoothguy11222 said:

The roots look a little to thick to me, even for Carcharinus sp. lowers. :huh?:

That's a good point.  I think all six are Galeocerdo with perhaps the more slender ones (#1 and 4 as looking left to right, top to bottom) being from Physogaleus.

Jess