Finds From Recent Fossiling Adventures

barefootgirl

Here are some of my finds from the last month since I got out of school.

post-1082-0-35244900-1371693973_thumb.jpg

Odd bone, feel free to guess what you think it is.

post-1082-0-57132300-1371693974_thumb.jpg

Various shark teeth found in the river.

post-1082-0-92538200-1371693975_thumb.jpg

I found the white ammonite yesterday and the red one today.

post-1082-0-28759000-1371693977_thumb.jpg

Mos vert

post-1082-0-92792400-1371693978_thumb.jpg

sawfish rostrum tooth and point made of pet wood.

post-1082-0-57074200-1371693980_thumb.jpg

San Patrice point

post-1082-0-11805600-1371693982_thumb.jpg

Mos vert found today

post-1082-0-68409400-1371693983_thumb.jpg

Trachyscaphite, my first one in this material.

More to come in next post

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Here is the finds from my creek.

post-1082-0-94742200-1371694335_thumb.jpg

ptychodus mortoni

post-1082-0-56101500-1371694337_thumb.jpg

ammonite

post-1082-0-79983100-1371694338_thumb.jpg

Baculite.

post-1082-0-79803100-1371694341_thumb.jpg

nautiloid

post-1082-0-40422800-1371694343_thumb.jpgpost-1082-0-15808200-1371694345_thumb.jpgpost-1082-0-75361600-1371694346_thumb.jpg

This is something I'm still trying to figure out. The black material is somewhat soft but it is full of fossilized worms. Guessing maybe worm tube colony???? The black part is also has pyrite or something similar in it.

post-1082-0-43090700-1371694340_thumb.jpgpost-1082-0-03162500-1371694348_thumb.jpg

Some of the finds today from POC

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Nice variety of specimens.

Could the black stuff around the worm tubes be petroleum, or a remnant of it? We found some in brachiopod shells a couple months back:

post-6808-0-16426200-1371697401_thumb.jpg

Edited by Missourian
  • I found this Informative 1

Context is critical.

Did that smell like anything? I just split one of the specimens open and it's looking like wood.

Nice variety of specimens.

Could the black stuff around the worm tubes be petroleum, or a remnant of it? We found some in brachiopod shells a couple months back:

attachicon.gif3898-Argentine-oil-2.jpg

Alfred North Whithead

Did that smell like anything? I just split one of the specimens open and it's looking like wood.

I don't remember a smell (or if I even sniffed it), but it was flammable soon after exposure.

If yours is wood, then maybe the worm-like things are borings.

Context is critical.

Now that I have broken it open I am pretty sure it is wood. It is worms or borings from the worms in the wood.

Alfred North Whithead

As always, you have some nice finds, Tera. :)

Your first photo looks a lot like the underside of a worn mosasaur frontal....

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

BFG....Great to see you back hunting... Hope all is well and very nice finds... you have a knack for finding those nautilus.... well done....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

What a great variety of finds! I'll bet you're glad to be back at hunting regularly again. I particularly like that Ptychodus tooth. Love to find one of those some day.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Tera, you have been bringing it home, nice. The red ammo is Pachydiscus paulsoni. The San Patrice is a rare find in the Sulphur, very nice. Creek find looks like the same wood bores from the creek pictured below. Thanks for sharing, will give a shout out when we visit again and maybe we can hit the creek----Tom

post-3940-0-63754600-1371729845_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Sounds good, I'm praying for a mild and wet summer.

Tera, you have been bringing it home, nice. The red ammo is Pachydiscus paulsoni. The San Patrice is a rare find in the Sulphur, very nice. Creek find looks like the same wood bores from the creek pictured below. Thanks for sharing, will give a shout out when we visit again and maybe we can hit the creek----Tom

Alfred North Whithead

Thanks everyone! I'm just so happy to get out and hunt again.

Alfred North Whithead

i see some nice teeth in there! love the mos verts!

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

When you hunt you really have an eye for some impressive stuff. Some nice big shark toothies too. What is that curved light colored item...is that a tooth?

I love to see the pictures, but one of these days I'll have to get out there and try the POC myself. You seem to do very well there. The ptychodus is stellar. I keep missing the big ones. I find lot's of smaller ones.

I want to escape to someplace this weekend. May need to be close to the house due to cash non-flow, but then again I've got this pennsylvanian spot in Wise county with a few very nice artifacts that I have not been to since near 8 inches of rain fell. It just keeps calling my name over and over. It's all pretty much hunting in the shade too.

I hope your next hunt is an adventure that results in more picture posts like this one.

A belated Congrats on completing school--thats great! You certainly got quite a neat mix of things found since getting back!

I had the same question wfrr posed above...what is that thing in the upper right of the 2nd photo? Thanks. Regards, Chris

...what is that thing in the upper right of the 2nd photo? Thanks. Regards, Chris

I was wondering the same thing. It reminds me of a tusk to a Peccary.