Lake Bridgeport, First Trip This Week

thair

I drove up there for the first time last month....of course I didn't know where to go. So we looked around the shore line and found nothing,I was so disappointed. Two hour drive and nothing to show for it.....any tips on where to go if I don't have a boat to get around the lake.....We went to the Run-away Bay area. I would love to go back............ :D

I know what you mean. The first time I went out there, I could see several nice outcrops along the lake's edge, but didn't have a boat either.

post-6450-0-64290400-1374068513_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-85594500-1374068544_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-86099300-1374068639_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-26094000-1374068691_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-46382300-1374068738_thumb.jpg

post-6450-0-98176300-1374068763_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roz

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Sward that is one of the supposed better trilobite spots, although any of the nice outcrops along the lake especially when low can produce good bugs also. We usually visit to see what has weathered out. Know the spot very well.

russ

WOW....nice bugs....I know where I am going on my days off. I have yet to find a trilobite,but I will!!!!! :D Thanks for the help, wish me luck........

Edited by Katfish61

Kathy

My first visit to TFF in a while and I like this post. The arthropod rest is amazing.

The middle thumbnail photo caught my eye. This ammonite encased in a nodule has an umbilicus mold set in (or just sitting on?) the nodule material just above the ammonite. There is good reason to believe that this umbilicus mold is of the ammonite below it.

This brings to mind a post from a couple of years ago in which Roz showed a photo of the same type of umbilicus mold and asked for an ID. Bobwill got involved to the extent of sculpting ammonite reproductions by using impressions of the umbilicus molds for the cores of the reproduced ammonites. He then attempted to ID the ammonite from which the umbilicus mold came and ended up with inconclusive results.

If someone will ID the ammonite in this photo, those of us who have collected these distinctive umbilicus molds in Jacksboro and Bridgeport will be able to put a species name on our finds.

Who can help?

My first visit to TFF in a while and I like this post. The arthropod rest is amazing.

The middle thumbnail photo caught my eye. This ammonite encased in a nodule has an umbilicus mold set in (or just sitting on?) the nodule material just above the ammonite. There is good reason to believe that this umbilicus mold is of the ammonite below it.

This brings to mind a post from a couple of years ago in which Roz showed a photo of the same type of umbilicus mold and asked for an ID. Bobwill got involved to the extent of sculpting ammonite reproductions by using impressions of the umbilicus molds for the cores of the reproduced ammonites. He then attempted to ID the ammonite from which the umbilicus mold came and ended up with inconclusive results.

If someone will ID the ammonite in this photo, those of us who have collected these distinctive umbilicus molds in Jacksboro and Bridgeport will be able to put a species name on our finds.

Who can help?

I found a mold inside one from that general area, still Bridgeport shale but I don't want to confuse the issue if mine is not

the same as his. On mine the structure itself is visible on the back side.. It would be so nice to get these a name! Tully, does the back side have any impressions

of the entire fossil?

Welcome to the forum!

Who can help?

Hey Forest. I noticed that fossil too and remembered our experiment. For anyone who missed it fowells sent me two of those umbilicus molds, one coiling the opposite direction from the other and I used them to sculpt a likely donor. I think we concluded they came from a Parashistoceras hildrethi. John McLeod has it listed as the most common goniatite in the micromorph zone but P. missouriense can be found there too. There was another mold without the ribs that was probably from Eoasianites but I don't remember which one Roz had posted a picture of originally. We all thought they were gastropods until you came up with your opposite coiling pair. Judging from the picture thair had it figured out without our help:)

Bob

Edited by BobWill

Yes I finally found both pages in the book with images.. I think mine I found near Bridgeport looks a

bit more like Parashistoceras missouriense.. If any of you reading have the book, "Pennsylvanian

Fossils of Texas", images are on pages 41 and 94.. Thanks, Bob.. I had forgotten there was an

ID.! I can mark mine now. I do remember the experiment..

Welcome to the forum!

Who can help?

Yes that mold of the coils actually came out of that fossil while I was cleaning it up. So I set it on there so yall could see it.

Unfortunatly after the mold came out i continue cleaning and the remaining coil in the fossil was very soft so I ruined some of the detail. If I had not done that it would be a mirror image of what was inside. Live and learn.

Hey Forest. I noticed that fossil too and remembered our experiment. For anyone who missed it fowells sent me two of those umbilicus molds, one coiling the opposite direction from the other and I used them to sculpt a likely donor. I think we concluded they came from a Parashistoceras hildrethi. John McLeod has it listed as the most common goniatite in the micromorph zone but P. missouriense can be found there too. There was another mold without the ribs that was probably from Eoasianites but I don't remember which one Roz had posted a picture of originally. We all thought they were gastropods until you came up with your opposite coiling pair. Judging from the picture thair had it figured out without our help:)

Bob

Bob,

Yeah so the umbilicus mold shown in Thair's picture is the correct coiling direction to screw into the side of the ammonite fossil it is sitting above. The side exposed is the left side, so can we say that all left side umbilicus molds from this ammonite sp. have the "anti-gastropod" coiling direction?

Sward that is one of the supposed better trilobite spots, although any of the nice outcrops along the lake especially when low can produce good bugs also. We usually visit to see what has weathered out. Know the spot very well.

russ

I have been shooed away from that spot by a Runaway Bay police person who side I shouldn't park on that development drive so I usually park on 114 near the bridge and walk along the beach far enough that I can make a right turn and end up at the site. Walking the beach on the way there I cross a patch with fossil bearing hematite nodules.