Lake Bridgeport, First Trip This Week

thair

I took a vacation day last Tuesday since the weather was supposed to be moderate with high temp only about 90. Its about 150 miles and I had not been there before so I hooked up my boat and headed out at 4:30am. When I arrived I had a hard time finding place to unload, there is only one ramp in the water due to low lake level. I stoped at various locations around the lake and did find some stuff but I was hopeing to find more crinoid material and maybe a triobite but maybe next time. Anyway here are a few pictures. This is Penn age in north central Texas.

post-3664-0-74157700-1373046683_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-98471700-1373046725_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-12863300-1373046751_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-77308800-1373046779_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-10652100-1373046810_thumb.jpg

I especially like the arthropod "rest" ichnofossil :wub:

Was it collectible?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I especially like the arthropod "rest" ichnofossil :wub:

Was it collectible?

Yes I took it home since it was in a rock about 18inch by 18inch and my boat was close. What do you think it is? You say arthropod "rest", I knew it was some kind of trail/trace but thought it looked interesting.

These are generally attributed to trilobites, but the makers could have been varied. Yours is a spectacular example! It seems to capture the moment a critter came in for a "landing"; compare to the illustration on Sam Gon III's website: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

These are generally attributed to trilobites, but the makers could have been varied. Yours is a spectacular example! It seems to capture the moment a critter came in for a "landing"; compare to the illustration on Sam Gon III's website: LINK

Thanks for the info and the link.

You found some good stuff.. I love the arthropod rest too! Very cool! I haven't ever

found one of those.

Welcome to the forum!

You found some good stuff.. I love the arthropod rest too! Very cool! I haven't ever

found one of those.

Thanks. That was my first trip up there so now I need to go back and go over to Jacksborrow also

I think the arthropod rest is actually cooler than the trilobite that made it.

I think the arthropod rest is actually cooler than the trilobite that made it.

Word.

I'm a huge fan of ichnofossils, and this one is really choice :wub:

Word.

I'm a huge fan of ichnofossils, and this one is really choice :wub:

Here are a couple more pictures with light at different angles. I guess the small thin trail leading off the landing/launch pad was where he was standing on his tail? or something.

post-3664-0-33067400-1373058801_thumb.jpg

post-3664-0-85872900-1373058827_thumb.jpg

A lovely and trenchant vignette of a moment in prehistory.

Man, that's nice! The details are so finely preserved.

It is, I'm sure you are aware, the upper-surface in-fill; a cast, as it were. If you made an impression of it in soft clay, you could see it as it was made, and maybe get a better visualization of what was going on.

It has such great detail, very clear and one of the best I have seen after looking online..

I'm with Mike, it would be a great contender for FOTM! :popcorn:

Welcome to the forum!

very cool. i have a rusophycus from there just like it.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice finds.

I wonder if the orientation of the scour mark next to the trace indicates that the trilobite was riding with the current?

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Man, that's a wonderful find, Tully. Another benchmark in your outstanding collection. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I can't get enough of those snails/etc but that ichno is wonderful.. Glad you were able to collect it.

Good eye Missourian, would you say the cone shaped scour formed in the turbulence of the leeward side of the arthropod, as sediment was carried away by the temporary turbulence there? In that case I would interpret it as swimming against the current and 'coming in for a landing' where we see the resting spot.

Edited by Wrangellian

That is a fantastic trilobite trace. Absolutely gorgeous.

Gabe

I like crinoids......

That is a most excellent trace fossil with great detail!

If you're quiet, you can hear him squishin' around in the mud. :D

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Wow! All great finds as far as I'm concerned but also love the trace!!! What great detail! :D

I drove up there for the first time last month....of course I didn't know where to go. So we looked around the shore line and found nothing,I was so disappointed. Two hour drive and nothing to show for it.....any tips on where to go if I don't have a boat to get around the lake.....We went to the Run-away Bay area. I would love to go back............ :D

Edited by Katfish61

Kathy

Yes awesome trilobite trace, one of best as others have already mentioned! Way cool!

I drove up there for the first time last month....of course I didn't know where to go. So we looked around the shore line and found nothing,I was so disappointed. Two hour drive and nothing to show for it.....any tips on where to go if I don't have a boat to get around the lake.....We went to the Run-away Bay area. I would love to go back............ :D

I went by water so I do not know about the access by land since that was my first trip also. I stoped at about 7 or 8 places and about half were productive. All the places I stoped were along the eastern shoreline. I unloaded at Run- away bay because that was the only loading ramp in the water then headed north stoping here and there along the eastern side of the lake.