New Microblaster

jgcox

Well I finally took the plunge and ordered a micro blaster unit. Any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated!! It is from a company named Eons Ago. I am just getting started with this level of prep, so if anyone has experience with these units please

tell me the good and the bad. Thanks

post-11020-0-31065400-1373372092.jpg

Nice blaster, when can we use it? :envy:

No two specimens or matrix is going to give you the same results.

Try different blast medias for different specimens/matrix.

If you did not already know then protect your specimen as it is being exposed.

I have been using an industrial blast cabinet and have had some promising results

unfortunately I can not change out the blast media as needed. Company property and all that.

Walnut "crushed" is a good media as well as Bi-carbonate there are a lot of different medias you may want to try.

Experiment you will be prepping like a pro in no time. :fistbump:

Jess B.

Ramping up to the next level!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i like it. my setup is much more primitive.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I'm interested in seeing the reports. I've been eying this blaster myself. My next major purchase is going to be a piece of prep equipment, or a vibrating sieve shaker.

Great unit if everything you work on is small. Problem with these all-in-one units is you can't build a bigger box. Hope it works out well for you. Make sure you have a good air drier between the compressor and the blaster. Also, blaster-grade sodium bicarbonate or aluminum oxide will work best in this unit.

• I found this Informative 1

Would anyone have a link to this product please.

Regards,

Darren.

In the US, but ships world wide: LINK

You could see Ken Manion, and see what he recommends, too: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great unit if everything you work on is small. Problem with these all-in-one units is you can't build a bigger box. Hope it works out well for you. Make sure you have a good air drier between the compressor and the blaster. Also, blaster-grade sodium bicarbonate or aluminum oxide will work best in this unit.

They sell the same unit without a cabinet, so I'm assuming you could add it to a custom box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MB10-MICRONBLASTER-MICRO-SANDBLASTER-W-O-BLAST-CHAMBER-/370683131893?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564e6fb7f5

Can an air pen be used with this cabinet as well? This exact model is exactly the one I've been looking at. Good to go out of the box with the addition of a compressor. Small footprint. While 500 bucks is a lot for my budget, this seems to be one of the most affordable units out there. I know I could probably cobble something together for less with careful shopping on Ebay. But due to limitations in my design/engineering/mechanical abilities I often find I spend more money when I try to save money this way, with less than optimal results, and lots of spare parts left over. Are than any other all in one solutions that are at or near this price point?

I have one of these units and rarely use it anymore, just not great for viewing with a boom scope. Also far less precise than my COMCO. Because of its design it does not work that great with very small particle size in my opinion. When I was using it I found that I ended up mostly using what would go through a 120 mesh screen but not a 200 mesh screen. The unit I have does not work very well below 20 PSI. I can use the COMCO down to 2 or 3 PSI with a very small particle size( what fits through at 320 mesh screen). I replaced the nozzles that came with the unit as they were too big for any type of detail work

The main issue I have with it though is the cabinet is too small . I am a huge fan of large homemade blast cabinets. They do sell the guts of this unit without the cabinet. The lighting that came in the cabinet was totally inadequate for use with a boom scope.

Edited by Malcolmt
  • I found this Informative 2

I have one of these units and rarely use it anymore, just not great for viewing with a boom scope. Also far less precise than my COMCO. Because of its design it does not work that great with very small particle size in my opinion. When I was using it I found that I ended up mostly using what would go through a 120 mesh screen but not a 200 mesh screen. The unit I have does not work very well below 20 PSI. I can use the COMCO down to 2 or 3 PSI with a very small particle size( what fits through at 320 mesh screen). I replaced the nozzles that came with the unit as they were too big for any type of detail work

The main issue I have with it though is the cabinet is too small . I am a huge fan of large homemade blast cabinets. They do sell the guts of this unit without the cabinet. The lighting that came in the cabinet was totally inadequate for use with a boom scope.

Link to your COMCo setup? I would want to use this with a B & L Stereozoom on a boom stand.

Mike, the dental unit has a cabinet that is really too small for a lot of what I prep. I have two Olympus stereo zoom scopes on boom stands. My homemade cabinet is 2 feet by 3 feet by 14 inches high, with pretty much the entire top glass. This provides for the ability to use tons of lighting. You cannot have too much light in a blast box

Well I received the unit last week. When we unpacked it the front glass cover was broken, so I contacted the seller, sent photos of the unit and requested a replacement cover. After checking the seller informed me they were out of stock on covers BUT he could send me a template to have a local glass shop cut one and send me a $200 refund for my trouble or he would send me another unit. So I am waiting for a template and refund.

I have to give the seller my compliments when informed he investigated and came up with a solution in a very quick timeframe. In the process of setting up my prep area so updates will be coming soon.

Good luck with the new unit. Practice on scarp pieces before hitting the good stuff. I am impressed with their problem solving on the broken glass... that's good customer service. As for blast media, I use sodium bicarb and dolomite mostly. Aluminum oxide is too strong for the stuff I work on. I have used dolomite on Cincinatti fossils in the past.

• I found this Informative 1

Ok got the template and glass shop is making me at least 4 covers. My question now is I have a 1/3rd HP 100psi air compressor that delivers 0.6CFM@90psi and 1.0CFM@40psi. Is this going to be sufficient, if not what capacity compressor would you recommend?

on the low end to run an air scribe but should work for air abrasion . You do not need a lot of CFM for air abrasion . You may find if the tank is not very big that you abrade better on the start of the pulse than if you keep your foot on the pedal switch continuously.

1/4 the price of a Comco. I'm tempted. Would this be precise enough to work Green River fish?

Have a case, compressor, vac, lighting all ready and waiting for something like this.

jgcox - please keep us up to date on how this unit works for you. I'm very interested and really appreciate the info.

Trying to locate dolomite blast media and cannot locate it locally any suggestions as to where to purchase? Also what will work well on rock from black cat mountain?

Jim , look for a local pottery supplier, they use dolomite and other things we can use as abrasives when they make glazes. Since they aqre used for glazes they tend to be uniform in size and sub 50 micron.

Edited by Malcolmt

The main problem with these units and Green River fish would be the size of the blast cabinet. It would be difficult to prep a larger size plate in one of these.

Thanks Malcolm I bought a separate air eraser unit without the blast chamber and will construct one for larger fossils. Once I get everything setup I'll post pics and an evaluation of each.-Jim