New Microblaster

jgcox

Was this unit the Micronblaster? Your initial photo suggested that it is. As I recall they want a little over $500 for the unit and are located somewhere in Florida. I've tried contacting them by email with a few questions, but the emails get kicked back or not answered. I'm looking for a less costly alternative to the Comco unit and was hoping this might be it. I've got some Green River fish to work on as well as mineral specimens to clean and need a unit that will do both. Looking forward to feedback on my questions and your experience with your unit,

ZiggieCie - I am humbled by your ingenuity! I once made an outdoor toilet for camping with a sprinkler valve box I got at Home Depot and attached an inexpensive toilet seat to it and thought I was clever. Who would have thought of making a sand blasting box out of a cooler! And a dust collector from a steam cleaner! I've used the Paasche air brushes but didn't know they made a micro abrasive tool. I assume there are some restrictions on the particle size and type of abrasive that can be used in them and will check it out. I just hope it has enough force to do the job.

Thanks for the lead!

I use Dolomite through it and it works fine with it. I also have a blunt needle attached to the front for presise control.

I bought my unit off EBay and it came from Calif. I have used it for nearly 3 years and it works fine. I also use Dolomite, baking soda and aluminum oxide. the unit handles all these medias very well. The only disadvantage is the size of matrix that will fit in the blast box.

Glad to hear that the Micronblaster is working well for you. I bought one of these recently. Seemed like an inexpensive way to go. I bought the model without the blast cabinet. I haven't used it yet as I still need to build blast cabinet. Were you able to use the tips that came with the unit? They seem kind of large for any kind of precision work.

I bought my unit off EBay and it came from Calif. I have used it for nearly 3 years and it works fine. I also use Dolomite, baking soda and aluminum oxide. the unit handles all these medias very well. The only disadvantage is the size of matrix that will fit in the blast box.

Curious... what kind of fossils do you use aluminum oxide on? I have only used it once... on some Cretaceous bones from the Canadian Arctic in very hard sandstone.

mudbug and jpc yes the tips will work but I hot glue an18 gauge dispensing needle onto the tip that gives me better blast control.

jpc I use 220 mesh aluminum oxide at low psi on fossils from Morocco that are in that hard ironstone, also on certain trilobites the key is low psi.

I have used a mix of aluminum oxide and dolomite that works well also.

I still would like to know the brand and model of the unit you purchased Jgcox. I see the Micronblaster on EBay, and it looks just like the one you have, but can't be sure.

its a micron blaster 2 with a CE on the label I think these are made in Hong Kong and sold thru resellers around the globe.

• 1 month later...

mudbug and jpc yes the tips will work but I hot glue an18 gauge dispensing needle onto the tip that gives me better blast control.

jpc I use 220 mesh aluminum oxide at low psi on fossils from Morocco that are in that hard ironstone, also on certain trilobites the key is low psi.

I have used a mix of aluminum oxide and dolomite that works well also.

What sieve size are you using to screen your dolomite?