Just A Comment About Hunting Rivers And Streams

mikecable

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?site_no=08108700

post-7463-0-26946400-1374186067_thumb.gif

The link above will give you close to real-time data on various Texas river flood gauges. The picture shows you what can happen in a few days.

While no site is ever totally safe, having been there once I'd say Whiskey Bridge is safe for the average fossil hunter from 7 to 9 feet. I'd hesitate at more than that, and in the last three days Whiskey Bridge reached almost 11 feet. One miss step and they might not find you until you wash up in the Gulf, or they just might not find you. The Brazos is known as the Texas Big Muddy--it runs slow and rises slow, especially that far south. The North Sulphur can do the same thing in a few hours instead of a few days. Certain streams, creeks and arroyos can do the same thing in a matter of minutes.

If you can't put your own eyes on the water, see if somebody on the Fossil Forum can. Use resources like the one linked above. I'm finding it fascinating to see how the river is rising and falling via hourly email alerts. And keep a constant eye on both the weather upstream in the watershed, and the water swirling around your feet or just behind you. I'm sure flood waters kill far more people than rattlers or gators.

Safety first. Thanks Mike.

Rain miles away could cause a river to rise quickly.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

I've seen sunny day flash floods out west that left me unable to speak for a while...

Remember that you are in that stream bed because it is a highly eroded feature, and the low point a that.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have had a shallow creek rise 1' in a half hour with no rain in sight.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

High, steep banks add to the danger at the North Sulphur River. It was channelized to make it drain quicker for the farmers and that works very well! You can see several feet of bridge pillar concrete that used to be underground :o

Too bad about the plans to dam it up for a mostly unnecessary lake.

I had a storm water drain rise about 5' in 2 minutes. That was a run and a half. Ground was only slightly wet, and rain wasn't forecast for that day.

Thanks for the river level, how does one search for that? *wonders if the local rivers have similar level graph monitor things*

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I had a storm water drain rise about 5' in 2 minutes. That was a run and a half. Ground was only slightly wet, and rain wasn't forecast for that day.

Thanks for the river level, how does one search for that? *wonders if the local rivers have similar level graph monitor things*

I believe you just have to search locally for the relevant governmental authorities. I can get email updates for rivers controlled by the federal government. I can get live information for certain state rivers and streams, but have to actually punch in the URL.

But I truly believe it comes back to Von Clausewitz. The "map is not the terrain." Be ready to adapt, improvise and endure.

Im mainly just after a way to check if theyre running dry yet without making the 20 minute drive each time.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I have been watching the rain gauge of the Withlachoochee River near Quitman GA and the river went from 2.5 feet to 21 feet and today it just has got back to 12 feet. Had lots of rain in south Georgia. May have to wait until late fall !

I've seen sunny day flash floods out west that left me unable to speak for a while...

Remember that you are in that stream bed because it is a highly eroded feature, and the low point a that.

Speaking of flash floods out west....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0fX8jQXw6Y

Also, be aware of the possibility if your drive-out route crosses that drainage. You may have to hang out for awhile....

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.