Found A Bonebed

jpc

The fossil brain is fantastic! A worthy FOTM contender?

“Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" 

Descartes

Nice finds and that brain cast is pretty cool. A keeper for sure!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

jpc---I just like it all, most rewarding trip heat and all. I like it when hunters rescue fossils that nature will eventually destroy. Hope to see the prepped fossils, especially the turtle----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

foshunter- the turtle will likely never be complete... the carapace is just too far gone. But the plastron should come out fine if it doesn't weather away before I get back there. Possibly later this month.

As for the braincase... it might be from an oreodont, but that is based on size only. If I had to bet on it, that's what I would say. Becky's find is really nice... I have only found two braincasts in my White River outings... both on the same day about ten years ago. She picked it up because she just thought it was a cool rock. She is learning. Yes, worthy of a FOTM, but I did not find it... she did and she is not a TFF member. Although it would be fun to see it go head to head (brain to brain?) against the pterosaur braincast.

I'd say so, though missing some:

post-423-0-62239500-1375470186_thumb.jpg

post-423-0-12251500-1375470195_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

How are you finding an Oreodont brain cast and Cretaceous critters in the same locality?

Overlying Paleocene outcrops? I have seen that here, but miles apart.

Nonetheless, Awesome!

Edited by PFOOLEY

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

• 2 months later...

How are you finding an Oreodont brain cast and Cretaceous critters in the same locality?

Overlying Paleocene outcrops? I have seen that here, but miles apart.

Nonetheless, Awesome!

Good question... maybe I wasn't clear enough. These areas are about twenty miles apart, as the crow flies, a little longer as the Subaru drives.

And if stops snowing I hope to get out to the Cretaceous bone bed this weekend. (I also have a trip report from France to put together, but that is a few weeks in the future).

Enjoying your postings. We need MORE.

Like the 0 condyle. They are a tease because the next 'bone' is the skull.

Also, never seen a mammal brain cast. Neato.

Dinosaur bone bed hunt postponed.. possibly til next spring. The rancher called me and said it is way too wet at his place... and its been snowing all day.

Wow has been said already - but, WOW!

If you're ever looking for some more excavating partners, just let me know. :drool:

In the meantime, I'll lurk around here for a while. :popcorn:

Edited by Roadrunner