Missourian

It's not related to fossils, but astronomy is one of my other passions. I've managed to snap a few photos over the years....

Comet Halley, March 1986:

post-6808-0-56506100-1375081309_thumb.jpg

Comet Hale-Bopp, March 1997:

post-6808-0-29123500-1375081625_thumb.jpg

post-6808-0-17494600-1375081628_thumb.jpg

I hope to capture Comet ISON later this year....

Eclipse at sunset, May 2012:

post-6808-0-19684100-1375081230_thumb.jpg

Venus transit at sunset, June 2012:

post-6808-0-30378200-1375081228_thumb.jpg

Both events at sunset within a month.... What are the odds?

Anyone else have astrophotos?

• I found this Informative 4

Context is critical.

Wow, awesome shots Missourian. How lucky to capture such beautiful events in history.

Cool too Nandomas, that looks wicked.

Ummm, no full moon shots thanks lol.

Wonderful photos. I would be interested in the camera/lens/settings info for each shot. Please post these, if possible.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

On 7/29/2013 at 7:42 AM, snolly50 said:

Wonderful photos. I would be interested in the camera/lens/settings info for each shot. Please post these, if possible.

Thanks. My memory on the details is somewhat rusty....

The comet photos were taken with an old (1960s) Minolta SLR with lens at 50 mm. Hale-Bopp was taken with ISO 1000 film. I think Halley was as well. The exposures were around 20 seconds, or just enough to prevent excessive star trailing.

With the sun photos, I used a Nikon D70 at 130 mm. I let the camera handle the exposure times.

Context is critical.

On 7/29/2013 at 5:58 AM, Batty said:

Wow, awesome shots Missourian. How lucky to capture such beautiful events in history.

Thanks.

On 7/29/2013 at 5:58 AM, Batty said:

Ummm, no full moon shots thanks lol.

:)

post-6808-0-64652000-1375123576_thumb.jpg

This was taken with an iPhone through a spotting scope at 33x.

Context is critical.

On 7/29/2013 at 4:48 AM, Nandomas said:

Rising sun on the Solnhofen Plattenkalke plus close UP of the counter part :o:D

... am I in the right section? :blink::wacko::P

Looks like the actual sun was peeking over your shoulder in the second photo. :)

Context is critical.

Thanks everyone for the photo compliments. I did my limited best to capture the beauty of the moments. :)

And thanks mods for finding the proper home for this thread. 'General Discussion' didn't sound quite right, but then neither did 'Member News'.

Context is critical.

Missourian thank you for posting those photos

your Hale-Bopp pictures remember me a wonderful night in the Nevada desert , lying on top of the car, smelling a fragrance of wild herbs, hearing the howling of coyotes and finally watching the comet in the sky to the west.

Thanks for letting me remember those moments, maybe usual for you Americans, but very unique for a city boy like me :)

Nando

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

I lived in Roanoke, Virginia when I took this picture of a total lunar eclipse on March 3, 2007. I propped my Nikon D70 on a rock on a vineyard fence post on what is called a "mountain" by local residents.

post-7338-0-70026500-1375150736_thumb.jpg

Thanks Missourian

Very memorable events.

Poor Hale Bop got a bad rap.

Your photos are amazing.

Bev That is a high quality

Photo. Great scene.

Every one

Please keep them coming

Edited by squali

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

On 7/29/2013 at 9:25 PM, Roanoker said:

I lived in Roanoke, Virginia when I took this picture of a total lunar eclipse on March 3, 2007. I propped my Nikon D70 on a rock on a vineyard fence post on what is called a "mountain" by local residents.

attachicon.gif017RoanokeEclipse.jpg

Red moon and Blue Ridge. :)

Context is critical.

On 7/29/2013 at 9:51 PM, squali said:

Poor Hale Bop got a bad rap.

It was everything I'd expected and hoped for.

One thing that would have been nicer is if it had arrived five months earlier. Around closest approach to the earth, the comet would have been as bright as the crescent moon -- bright enough to cast shadows. The tail would have spanned much of the sky. The show would have lasted from dusk to dawn. Oh well.... :)

Context is critical.

Missourian thanks for the photo info. Here is a poor shot of a wonderful event.

Conjunction of December 1, 2008, the Moon dances with Jupiter and Venus.

Hand held, Canon PowerShot SD850IS, f3.2, ISO 800, 1/8 sec.

post-8873-0-20897900-1375187044_thumb.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

On 7/30/2013 at 7:24 AM, snolly50 said:

Missourian thanks for the photo info. Here is a poor shot of a wonderful event.

Conjunction of December 1, 2008, the Moon dances with Jupiter and Venus.

Hand held, Canon PowerShot SD850IS, f3.2, ISO 800, 1/8 sec.

attachicon.gifdecember1'08cz.jpg

That photo's not so bad.

I think I remember that event.

Context is critical.

Comet Ikeya-Zhang, March 2002:

post-6808-0-75755100-1375308451_thumb.jpg

Minolta SLR, 50 mm, ISO 1000, ~20 seconds.

Context is critical.

Green flash over the Pacific:

post-6808-0-32472200-1375410848_thumb.jpg

post-6808-0-77020000-1375410849_thumb.jpg

I guess this is more of an 'aerophoto', but the sun is a celestial object after all.... :)

Context is critical.

Hey you all. Liking this thread alot, but I got no photos to share...Sheer laziness and computer crashes with shoddy backups have taken their toll on our archives. Still looking for some old photos of the space shuttle launches and cant find them either...Used to stand in the front yard down here for launches and see what looked like a missile going up....Drats!! I'll keep looking as we have some hoarding issues to resolve....Maybe someone else still has some NASA memories/somethings. Looking forward to seeing more from you folks! Regards, Chris

Chris, you still had better luck than we did. While visiting Florida in May 2011, we tried to catch the second from last shuttle launch. We went well out of our way to stay at the somewhat inapproprately priced and absolutely horrific Motel 6 in Coco Beach. At least it wasn't full or $200+/night. But still, a trip to the main office for a toilet plunger wasn't reflected in the 'reasonable' room rate.... Anyway, the launch was scrubbed (can't say that for the room....). Ok, I digross... I mean digress. At least we were able to find out that the next window was several days away, so we were 'free' to leave the cess pool behind.

Context is critical.

Green flash over the Pacific:

attachicon.gifSunset_1.jpg

attachicon.gifSunset_2.jpg

I guess this is more of an 'aerophoto', but the sun is a celestial object after all.... :)

Here is the counterphoto of Sol dunking into the Pacific - last Wednesday, leaping from the Atlantic, here in SC.

post-8873-0-56321000-1375449123_thumb.jpg

Nikon D600, f/5, 1/200, ISO 100, 185mm focal length, processed in Photoshop Elements 11, size greatly reduced for posting.

Edited by snolly50

What a beautiful picture!

It was a beautiful scene. I am not a religious person in a conventional sense, but with fair regularity God pats me on the shoulder, tells me to quiet my foolish, monkey mind and just be. On that early morning beach I was alone, yet in the welcome, warm company of the ineffable.