Driving Me Crazy

Foshunter

Hidden in the dark bowels of my closet, I was reunited with a box of fossils that have been hidden for 14 years. This partial string of Mosasaur verts and other associated parts was found in January 1999 on a day when the Sulphur River water was an ice sheet. A front end loader had pushed through the gravel bed down to the limestone uncovering what I believe is a Clidestes Mosasaur. That is the good part, the bad is that it shaved off a portion of two vert and caused considerable shattering of the other bones. Not being the type of guy that never lets a good mosasaur go to waste, freezing fingers and all, salvaged what I could. Now comes the part that drives an old guy crazy-----putting this puzzle together------wish me luck and pass the bottle----Tom

post-3940-0-27346100-1375144005_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-25606300-1375144026_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

never look a gift mosasaur in the mouth, i says...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

The bone preservation looks quite good (aside from the insults inflicted by the heavy equipment). Big critter, too!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good luck and you mean bottle of glue right?!?! ;) haha! Looking forward to seeing the after pictures!!! :D

Erhm, yeah good luck with that! lol

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Thanks BFG, how about a little encouragement for your elders LOL I have a jaw section from the same mosasaur that will be worse to put together than the verts-----Tom

Edited by Foshunter

"Don't Tread On Me"

Thanks BFG, how about a little encouragement for your elders LOL I have a jaw section from the same mosasaur that will be worse to put together than the verts-----Tom

Good luck old man, you can do it! lol :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

This reminds me of a puzzle I started around last Xmas but I think yours will be easier. Mine is still sitting on that table unfinished, I can''t seem to get any further than I got a couple months after I started... :zzzzscratchchin::shake head:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/33949-jigsaw-puzzle/

Edited by Wrangellian

Making progress but it is slow, the ribs seem to be difficult, had to improvise a stand/holder ( partial mastodon tooth) to keep one section in the upright while the glue drys.----Tom

post-3940-0-91512900-1375193810_thumb.jpg

"Don't Tread On Me"

I love your improvised stand!

I have a couple of jigsaw puzzles I need to get started on (both purchased in that condition for fairly cheap). Neither are quite that big! One is a tortoise shell, with a bag of small bits to glue back on, the other is a leg-bone from the Peace River in FL that's in a dozen pieces. They'll be my first attempts at consolidating and reconstruction.

Good luck!

Having 'played' with the mosasaurs, I feel your pain, Tom. :D Very cool associated finds.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Tom....i totally understand where you are coming from ive got that many Icthyosaur bone parts its a job to know where to start....so good luck and all the best.

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Tom....i totally understand where you are coming from ive got that many Icthyosaur bone parts its a job to know where to start....so good luck and all the best.

Regards,

Darren.

Thanks Darren----My major problem is that it was found in very cold water that was flowing pretty fast, lost some major pieces to the current. I am glad to have recovered as much as I did----Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Looks fantastic.

I would personally love a puzzle challenge like that though.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I'm familiar with that method of gluing things - finding something prop it up vertically!

Edited by Wrangellian