Did I Just Make A Huge Mistake Buying A Keichousaurus

SmallYeti

I'm very late to the party here, but I see no reason to suppose that this fossil is fake. A lot of people seem keen to make bets that it'd be a fake, which I suspect they would lose. There seems to be almost an hysteria about Keichousaurus fossils being faked - and I'm sure they are - but I see little evidence to support the claim that this one is a fake.

Nothing looks painted on (based on the pictures, which certainly aren't ideal), and the details look good. I actually suspect that the majority of Keichosaurus fossils currently on eBay are genuine. I see the odd one that looks a bit fishy, but they look overwhelmingly genuine, perhaps with a little painting in of missing bones. I might be wrong, of course - if anyone can prove me wrong, please do.

• I found this Informative 1

I'm very late to the party here, but I see no reason to suppose that this fossil is fake. A lot of people seem keen to make bets that it'd be a fake, which I suspect they would lose. There seems to be almost an hysteria about Keichousaurus fossils being faked - and I'm sure they are - but I see little evidence to support the claim that this one is a fake.

Nothing looks painted on (based on the pictures, which certainly aren't ideal), and the details look good. I actually suspect that the majority of Keichosaurus fossils currently on eBay are genuine. I see the odd one that looks a bit fishy, but they look overwhelmingly genuine, perhaps with a little painting in of missing bones. I might be wrong, of course - if anyone can prove me wrong, please do.

I wholeheartedly agree and will reiterate what I mentioned previously in this thread and elsewhere; authentic Keichousaurus fossils are prepared precisely in this manner and found with such great frequency that fabrication onto a matrix substrate would be more work than the actual extraction of the fossils as found. As an aside, a friend overseas recently asked me to look at a few that were recently acquired by his fellow fossil club members. They were all anxious they had purchased fakes but after my suggestion to dab a small amount of acetone and check for paint transfer, they were thrilled to discover authentic fossils. A while back we even had a TFF member get his Keichousaurus X-rayed and it was confirmed to be genuine as well, much to the chagrin of those so quick to assert "Fossil Fraud". Unfortunately in this instance the OP was convinced by a majority of votes and subsequently went through the hassle of returning an absolutely authentic Keichousaurus.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Sounds like this one has already been returned, which is probably the right choice for this person who wants to be certain of authenticity.

However, I will add that there are some who too hastily jump to the conclusion that a Keichousaurus is fake. There was another discussion where many of the forum members thought the keichousaurus was fake, but the person had it x-rayed and it turned out to be genuine bones just poorly restored. I have one that looks similar to this one. I keep thinking about getting it x-rayed by a friend of ours who is a chiropractor. If I do, I'll let folks know how it turns out.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Don't reccall if you stated how much you paid, but if what you paid is commensurate with the quality, then you didn't pay too much - if that makes sense? Put another way, if you paid $200 for the Keich and it was 50% fake/resto, maybe that price was a good price for something part real, part fake. If however, you paid something like $1000, and the whole thing was fake, then you got robbed.

• 4 weeks later...

I knew going in that it wasn't real but I got one for my 9 year old nephew and he was crazy happy with it. I might have a small collection myself that he enjoys checking out but hopefully it sparked my nephew to go further with the exploration with fossil.

I knew going in that it wasn't real but I got one for my 9 year old nephew and he was crazy happy with it. I might have a small collection myself that he enjoys checking out but hopefully it sparked my nephew to go further with the exploration with fossil.

If your nephew believes it's real, then I say that's a pretty mean and dishonest move, which will only break his heart when he finds out, and might destroy his interest in fossils instead of sparking it.

Just my two cents.

If your nephew believes it's real, then I say that's a pretty mean and dishonest move, which will only break his heart when he finds out, and might destroy his interest in fossils instead of sparking it.

Just my two cents.

That's a little harsh, isn't it? The nephew enjoys it as-is, and it doesn't sound like it was foisted off on him.

Most kids are 'face-value' appreciators, and I do not predict any such dire consequence developing here.

Don't be afraid to kindle that sense of wonder! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 3 years later...
12 minutes ago, indominus rex said:

I also have a Keichousaurus which I bought from a mineral and fossil convention in Hong Kong, I believe it should be real because he had no other Keichousaurus slates, It has some thing in its stomach possibly a embryo, I lived in Hong Kong and it is still there so I hope is is real but it most likely is I will upload a picture of it soon

Hi indominus, Hong Kong is one of the countries in which genuine Keichousaurus are readily available.

Still, you should post pictures to be sure. It would be helpful for you to start a new thread though, this one is over 3 years old :)

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 8/12/2013 at 10:35 AM, Canadawest said:

You have a fake. No need to examine it. It is a fake. You were lied to my a dishonest seller. ALL OF THESE ARE FAKES. What's happened is people think there are real ones available so 'maybe' mine is real....or it's part real, etc. They convince themselves it might be legit.

I collect two things....fossils and guitars. The Chinese churn out fake fossils and fake guitars.

The Chinese are not stupid...they make a fake look like a real fossil restored...or half a fossil with finished parts...or two put together to make one....this way someone thinks they started off with a real fossil. Then the folks start to question if a fossil is real or a fake when the reality is they are all fakes.

I beg to differ. This is definitely not a fake keichousaurus. Most of them on the market are real. The fakes are really quite obvious. If you take issue with them being exported from China, that is understandable, but to tell people they "are all fakes" is simply not true.

This ancient thread still winds me up. That fossil was completely authentic, and the poor OP sent it back because 'experts' in this forum confidently told her it was a fake. Some people need to know when to wind their necks in, or give their opinion as that - opinion - rather than asserting their wonky views as fact.

4 hours ago, Aurelius said:

This ancient thread still winds me up. That fossil was completely authentic, and the poor OP sent it back because 'experts' in this forum confidently told her it was a fake. Some people need to know when to wind their necks in, or give their opinion as that - opinion - rather than asserting their wonky views as fact.

I agree. I only just found this forum but I feel really bad about the whole situation, that would have been a fantastic gift. I genuinely feel bad for her. At least wait until you get better pics etc, to make a call. :mellow:

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

im in a similar boat as the original poster from three years ago. I would love to believe that this fossil I just ordered on eBay from a china dealer with 100 percent feedback is real but now I'm HIGHLY suspicious. I can cancel the transaction  right now before the seller ships, or I can wait and inspect it when it arrives. Can anything be determined regarding its authenticity by looking at this photo? 

IMG_0252.PNG

On 6/20/2017 at 10:56 PM, Aurelius said:

That fossil was completely authentic, and the poor OP sent it back because 'experts' in this forum confidently told her it was a fake.

Poor her. That one post blasting the Chinese people and calling them fake peddlers. :shakehead: 

On 6/20/2017 at 10:56 PM, Aurelius said:

because 'experts' in this forum confidently told her it was a fake. Some people need to know when to wind their necks in, or give their opinion as that - opinion - rather than asserting their wonky views as fact.

Welp, this was me back before I revamped my account. I still remember how I always put statements on my answer, calling myself an pro expert and ending up causing turmoil, at least now Ive learned from that and try to be as far from speaking "like if I'm an expert".

6 hours ago, Anngottesman said:

Hi there,

im in a similar boat as the original poster from three years ago. I would love to believe that this fossil I just ordered on eBay from a china dealer with 100 percent feedback is real but now I'm HIGHLY suspicious. I can cancel the transaction  right now before the seller ships, or I can wait and inspect it when it arrives. Can anything be determined regarding its authenticity by looking at this photo? 

IMG_0252.PNG

I was wondering if you could post the second photo as well. The image doesnt look too clear, and based on what I can see, Im afraid that it might be a fake. The vertebra doesnt look like different bones but a long solid line with unnatural bumps, which is one of the red flags. But of course, dont take my word, and confirm this with an actual expert.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

6 hours ago, Anngottesman said:

Hi there,

Hello, and Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I don't see anything morphologically wrong with this Keichousaur.

The backbone may have been painted a bit, and there may be some paint touch-ups to missing or poorly prepped bones.

This is common practice for the sellers of these fossils.  Of course, it is difficult to tell for sure, from the picture.

I would look it over carefully when it arrives, with a magnifying glass/loupe, to see if it has been painted at all. 

I wouldn't worry too much that it is fake. 

Good Luck, and please post pictures in a new thread once it arrives. ;) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks to both of you that replied. I appreciate your opinions so much!  Here's a close up of the photo showing the spine. Since I found this fossil on eBay and the seller is in China and I only paid $85, I feel almost certain it's a fake. I'd even be happy with a real fossil that had some paint, but my suspicions now are that the whole thing is fake based upon all the warnings I've seen online regarding the   . Aside from Chinese eBay sellers, i can't find any keichousaurus fossils for sale anywhere online. Could it really be possible to buy an authentic keichousauras on eBay from China for $85 or even $200? I'm telling myself it seems too good to be true. :(

IMG_0252.PNG

Hi I am not an expert in Keichousaurus and it is hard to say with out better photos with a size reference in them. The only things I have noticed is it's head looks a little large but this maybe a small juvenile. If this is the case and if it is a juvenile then that maybe why you got a reall bargain, size maters. Looks ok to me except the spine maybe painted and missing shouder bones? Also they are from China so lots are  obviously sold by Chinese sallers.  Please keep us updated when it arrives in its own post, that way you will get more replys. 

On 9/19/2017 at 3:13 AM, Bobby Rico said:

Hi I am not an expert in Keichousaurus and it is hard to say with out better photos with a size reference in them. The only things I have noticed is it's head looks a little large but this maybe a small juvenile. If this is the case and if it is a juvenile then that maybe why you got a reall bargain, size maters. Looks ok to me from this except the spine maybe paint and missing shouder bones? Also they are from China so lots are  obviously sold by Chinese sallers.  Please keep us updated when it arrives in its own post, that way you will get more replys. 

I don't think that the shoulder bones show from the dorsal view, which is what  anngottesman has.

Your fossil is a ventral view. Also, the juvenille Keichousaurs do have larger heads.  

By the way, Bobby, What is the size of yours?

Your Keichousaur was obviously very well prepped - beautiful fossil! :wub: 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Anngottesman   
I would wait until you receive the fossil before you pass any judgement. Look carefully at it when it arrives.

If you have an ultraviolet light (black light) look at the fossil under it, to see if the paint shows up. Should look different from the rest of the body.

Check the hands and feet carefully, because sometimes they are partially or entirely painted on.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Keichousaurs are a very common fossil to find in China. They are usually prepped very poorly, and are often touched up with paint, to make the fossil look more complete.  The fact that on yours has the tail is less than straight, and the curved neck make me think it is real.  I think Bobby may be correct, and that your fossil may be fairly small, as well.

And please do keep us informed. Take much better pictures, and close ups, in daylight, and start a new post to get more opinions. 

Kind regards, 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

I don't think that the shoulder bones show from the dorsal view, which is what  anngottesman has.

Your fossil is a ventral view. Also, the juvenille Keichousaurs do have larger heads.  

By the way, Bobby, What is the size of yours?

Your Keichousaur was obviously very well prepped - beautiful fossil! :wub: 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Anngottesman   
I would wait until you receive the fossil before you pass any judgement. Look carefully at it when it arrives.

If you have an ultraviolet light (black light) look at the fossil under it, to see if the paint shows up. Should look different from the rest of the body.

Check the hands and feet carefully, because sometimes they are partially or entirely painted on.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Keichousaurs are a very common fossil to find in China. They are usually prepped very poorly, and are often touched up with paint, to make the fossil look more

complete.  The fact that on yours has the tail is less than straight, and the curved neck make me think it is real.  I think Bobby may be correct, and that your fossil may be fairly small, as well.

And please do keep us informed. Take much better pictures, and close ups, in daylight, and start a new post to get more opinions. 

Kind regards, 

Hi thanks it is a really nice fossil. The matrix is approx 19cms x 12 cms the fossil is 26.5cms head to tail. I think anngottesman is a small juvenile too and a real bargain.Kind regards Bobby.

On 9/19/2017 at 4:33 AM, Anngottesman said:

Thanks to both of you that replied. I appreciate your opinions so much!  Here's a close up of the photo showing the spine. Since I found this fossil on eBay and the seller is in China and I only paid $85, I feel almost certain it's a fake. I'd even be happy with a real fossil that had some paint, but my suspicions now are that the whole thing is fake based upon all the warnings I've seen online regarding the   . Aside from Chinese eBay sellers, i can't find any keichousaurus fossils for sale anywhere online. Could it really be possible to buy an authentic keichousauras on eBay from China for $85 or even $200? I'm telling myself it seems too good to be true. :(

I'm amazed that these discussions are still going on. This specimen is probably genuine. The photo is too low resolution to be 100%, but I would bet good money that it's authentic, perhaps with some touching up.

I don't know why people think these are fake? The rule of thumb is this: Most keichousaurs are genuine. Many of them are 'improved' with paint. Some are composites. The outright fakes are obvious. There may be exceptions, but keichousaurs are abundant and cheap. Perhaps partly because of these absurd rumours about them all being fake, which are ignorant and wrong (I can prove this if you like, with several specimens I bought from the usual eBay sellers).

6 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

I'm amazed that these discussions are still going on

This was a newer member asking the same type of question in the older thread, ... that is why it is ongoing. ;) 

And many of us here are aware that keichousaurs are mostly real.  But new people come along, and may not know this.  

They don't how to start a new thread, so they expand on an existing one. 

Sometimes, this continues to inform new members, so it really informs the public that read it. 

The abundance of these, um.... things on our favorite auction site

:s-l500 (1).jpg             s-l500.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg          s-l1600.jpg

is probably the reason we continue to have these discussions. :) 

Someone who doesn't know fossils could be taken in by one of these "masterpieces of art."   <_<  :rolleyes: 

I've seen an awful lot of these fake things getting sold on there, all the time. :( 

Yes, those are horrible. If I have time, I might put together a basic guide to identifying fakes over the weekend. It's easy, but as you point out, it's only easy once you know.

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

This was a newer member asking the same type of question in the older thread, ... that is why it is ongoing. ;) 

And many of us here are aware that keichousaurs are mostly real.  But new people come along, and may not know this.  

They don't how to start a new thread, so they expand on an existing one. 

Sometimes, this continues to inform new members, so it really informs the public that read it. 

The abundance of these, um.... things on our favorite auction site

:s-l500 (1).jpg             s-l500.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg          s-l1600.jpg

is probably the reason we continue to have these discussions. :) 

Someone who doesn't know fossils could be taken in by one of these "masterpieces of art."   <_<  :rolleyes: 

I've seen an awful lot of these fake things getting sold on there, all the time. :( 

I think they look cute, like little cave paintings, that are describing the fossils that are most desirable to the Fossil Forum Man.