Peace River Unknown......hazard A Guess?

Sacha

Attached are photos of a find from the Peace that I've taken to the Univ. of Fl twice. The 2nd time I got an identification that I would characterize as uncertain.

It appears to be the last vert. from a mammal without a tail, or the last 3 vert., which appear to be fused, of a mammal with a very fine tail as related to the spine width.

It was identified as belonging to a mammoth at the University, which I assume is possible, I just didn't get a warm and fuzzy at the time. Hope the pictures are OK.

post-12135-0-92969300-1377265288_thumb.jpg

post-12135-0-71079000-1377265307_thumb.jpg

post-12135-0-75366600-1377265319_thumb.jpg

Appreciate the time.

It certainly seems like a terminal vert. From size, I would have a tough time thinking it is mammoth

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/keyword/sacrum

A human tailbone is 1-4 inches, which is the same range but slightly larger than yours.

I also have seen something similar in the Peace -- I always thought they were broken.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

It appears to be a coccyx - made up of at least three elements. I have no idea what animal.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I assumed it was a coccyx, or the equivalent, just from the initial impression, but is this element an component of tailed animal skeletal structure? Do all/most mammals have this feature at the base of their spine, or would it be limited to some kind of subset?

The coccyx takes the place, generally, of an external tail. It occurs among the terrestrial mammals only in the tailless primates. So I expect that this is actually part of a sacrum. Interesting piece.

Edited by RichW9090

Very interesting; I do not recall one ever being posted to the Forum before.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

OK, after some investigating on the topic of Tailless mammals, low and behold the one familiar animal to show up is the Capybara, the teeth of which are a fairly common find in the Peace. I could not find an image of the lower spine of a Capybara in the internet, but if the experts have better references than I can find on Google, maybe they can confirm/redirect.

Sacrums of tailed mammals all have apparent contact surfaces for the tail vert., which are not apparent on this piece.

Are you sure capybara do not have tails? I thought they were just internal.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

A quick Google search found this but I don't know how accurate it is. The x-ray shows the tail as internal but still present. I don't think your bone came from a capybara. Rich will set me straight if I'm wrong though.

Capybara x-ray

post-7497-0-82289000-1377300500_thumb.jpg

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

It just so happens I have a couple of capybara skeletons here in my home office. Unfortuntely, I have only my cellphone camera here, as the good camea is in my ofice at the museum.

Capybara actually have pretty delicate caudal vertebrae, and the sacrum is fairly delicate as well - much thinner and more gracile that this fossil. Now, what the sacrum of Neochoerus would look like is another question entirely. I only know of one decent associated skeleton of Neochoerus, and I'll have to check that out.

But one thing comes to mind that might fit better - I'll bet the distal sacral elements and proximal caudals of Castoroides would be quite robust.

Capybara sacrum

Capybara sacrum 2

Edited by RichW9090

A COUPLE Capybara skeletons and no Beaver???? Go figure that!

Hope somebody out there has x-rayed a beaver lately. Hadn't thought of Giant Beaver although I have a few fragments of teeth from the Peace. Not a typical find but not unheard of. Regardless of how this pans out, I appreciate all the interest and input.

I'ver got a beaver, too, just have to unearth it from the storage closet.....

All three of your pictures are taken at oblique angles, which makes it really hard to compare. Can you take a straight on picture of the two sides? Also, rather than a quarter for scale, please measure the fossiland provide width and length meqsurements.

I'm leaning towards a worn sacrum, probably the anterior part.....

Thanks Rich.

Greatest width 2.24"

Greatest thickness 1.07"

Overall Length 2.10"

Left

post-12135-0-51078500-1377431371_thumb.jpg

Right

post-12135-0-54980500-1377431389_thumb.jpg

post-12135-0-67351800-1377431406_thumb.jpg

Bottom

post-12135-0-98099900-1377431424_thumb.jpg

At that size, probably not Castoroides. But that is roughly the size of a modern beaver, Castor canadensis. Castor is known from the Pleistocene of Florida.

Edited by RichW9090