Backyard In Mass

Curious mom

We would need a bit more information to help id this. Can you give some scale? Where exactly it was found and if you know what the formation is. Also pictures from all sides would help as well.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

It seems to be a fossil coral of some sort; what are its dimensions?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This looks a heck of a lot like a modern Caribbean coral. My guess is that it is anthropogenically transported, as they say. Might be Johnny's coral from the family trip to Florida in the 50s but I guess it could also be an old Native American trade object.

This looks a hell of a lot like a modern Caribbean coral. My guess is that it is anthropogenically transported, as they say. Might be Johnny's coral from the family trip to Florida in the 50s but I guess it could also be an old Native American trade object.

I agree that it looks like a modern coral.

Is it in the rock, or just resting on it? If it is not in matrix (as I assumed), then it is most probably modern.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

• New Members

Thanks for all the opinions! It is about 4 inches long & not attached to the rock below it. I can't figure out how to add more pics but the back looks striated like that too so, maybe it is just a coral... We live 3 hrs from the ocean so I wonder... It's filled my kids heads with curiosity so, cool find! Thanks again!

post-13161-0-94871500-1378945514_thumb.jpg

post-13161-0-00178800-1378945559_thumb.jpg

Edited by Curious mom

It is probably either a beach souvenir, or aquarium decor. :)

It looks like an attractive piece of coral from quite a bit south of here in Massachusetts. We do have some very tiny stone coral here (in the ocean), but nothing nearly as big as the nice one you found in your yard. My guess is that someone emptied their tropical aquarium there, or maybe brought it home from a southern journey. Someday, someone is going to find some pretty strange stuff in my backyard. There's probably a pretty interesting story behind your find. I'll bet your kids could imagine some exciting scenarios.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

• 1 month later...