Seed ?

wezc

I am far from being an expert, but I do not know of any Carboniferous 'seeds' with that sort of transverse ribbing.

Neither does it ring any other bells for me.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

wezc....You got me with that one.... You see all sorts of structures and patina's when your looking for carb plant material some cross sections and angled slices but I have never noticed anything that resembles that...I have found plenty seeds over the years that have split in cross section where you would of noticed a rippling to the shape to indicate ribbing... J havent seen this....I dont think its a seed...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

This strongly resembles Artisia, the internal mould of Cordaites stems (the other 'bands' on the specimen are probably outer surface casts). Recently, a similar piece was posted on TFF here. I provided some background info and a link to some additional images there.

Kind regards,

Tim

EDIT: I just noticed that the 'similar piece' was also posted by you, wezc. Artisia is not that common, at least, not in the places I collect. Do these fossils occur preferentially in the slightly coarser grained rocks?

Edited by paleoflor
  • I found this Informative 2

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Thanks for your repliesTerry Dactyll and paleoflor. In answer to your question Tim I am a complete novice I dont know a thing about fossils or rocks only what I have learned on this cracking forum. I have a couple more photos of what I have identified as artisia from your links do you think the 2nd photograph is artisia it is very tiny like the piece posted today. Thanks again..

post-11457-0-26785800-1379872071_thumb.jpg

post-11457-0-11227600-1379872084_thumb.jpg

Hi wezc,

Yes, I think the additional photo's all show Artisia and other stem imprints related to Cordaites. I added a schematic of the Cordaites-tree, together with some photographs of specimens in my own collection (foliage, known as Cordaites, plus reproductive structures, cones, known as Cordaianthus). The cordaites are primitive relatives of the conifers.

post-2676-0-41901100-1379883186_thumb.jpg

You are lucky to find so many, rather large specimens of Artisia. Until now, the longest specimen I was lucky enough to find only measures 7 cm long. This could very well be locality dependent.

Edited by paleoflor
  • I found this Informative 1

Searching for green in the dark grey.

I agree with paleoflor

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks