Fossil Prairie Park, Rockford, Iowa

TNGray

Looks like a great site; unfortunately, the link is broken.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I second that. It is a very unique place. You step on fossils as you exit your car! Their visitor center displays are worth seeing, also.

Link here << CLICK ME >>

I agree, nice looking area.

Thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks like a peach of a spot to collect! Anybody who goes there should be careful that it doesn't spoil their experience of collecting other sites ;)

Looks wonderful! Thank you for posting. There are a few sites like this around the country, but there should be a lot more. I'm curious how this site came to be. Please share what you know or find out. Thanks again.

I second that - it would be nice to have more such sites but I fear that the closure of sites all over the place will put extra collecting pressure on sites like this that remain open to it!

That is a nice report with good pictures. I think this site is the Lime Creek Formation, not the Hackberry Formation that is mentioned in your report. I think the confusion is from an old report that called this the Hackberry fauna.

Yes Lime Creek was more current name. Wonderful place collected there many years as a kid when the brick and tile plant were active still in the old abandoned areas. Lots of Devonian material here from tons of brachiopods, corals, mollusk bryozoans, crinoids other echinoderms, fish, goniatite cephalopods and tons more. I used to have large collection that I gave away or traded since I do mainly trilobites now. Anyone with interest in Devonian marine faunas will love this site. It was about 30 miles from my old home town.

What a great place! We've taken our kids there a couple times - it was a great place to introduce them to fossil collecting.

I think I've got an example of just about every brachipod from the site. I've also got a couple pelycypods (I've only found internal molds) and even one or two pieces of fish bone - hard to tell (I'll have to post a photo some time and let you'all take a look...)

Talk about getting spoiled, it's true of this site but nearly anywhere I went in Northern Kentucky y Iwas loaded with cool finds. I told a cashier at a Pizza Hut in Maysville why I was visiting. She didn't know about the area so I walked out to the alley behind the restaurant and picked up some huge, very 3-D brachiopods from the hillside and gave them to her.