Coon Creek Fossil Help!

mbaker4

• New Members

I recently went on a fossil dig at Coon Creek in Adamsville, TN. This fossil was found, but we were not exactly sure what it is! We were told it was a baculite? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

post-13299-0-16664100-1380413713_thumb.jpg

post-13299-0-71320200-1380413749_thumb.jpg

It is certainly a couple conjoined ammonite chambers, so if it looks to have been straight, and laterally compressed, it could well be Baculite.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, that is part of a Baculites. Two species are known from Coon Creek, Baculites ornatus and Baculites grandis, but your piece is too short to see the ornament (ribbing) well enough to be sure which one it is. It might be possible to tell from the details of the suture line.

How is the collecting there? I'm booked to visit next weekend. Did you find a decent selection of shells?

Don

• New Members

Yes, that is part of a Baculites. Two species are known from Coon Creek, Baculites ornatus and Baculites grandis, but your piece is too short to see the ornament (ribbing) well enough to be sure which one it is. It might be possible to tell from the details of the suture line.

How is the collecting there? I'm booked to visit next weekend. Did you find a decent selection of shells?

Don

Thank you so much! I am a teacher in Dyersburg, TN & we take a group of students each year. We LOVE it! We found tons of wonderful shells & other fossils (crab claws, coprolite, etc) Lots & lots of great fossils!