Finally, An Excursion!

masonboro37

Ugghhh, with the move and being super busy I have had zero time to get out for an excursion. Finally, a week ago I did! I met some wonderful friends at a site for some visiting and fossil collecting. The weather was great, but still humid and very warm. We all had a great time and ended the adventure with smiles. The excursion was at an area in North Carolina, Castle Hayne Formation, Eocene and then Pee Dee, Cretaceous. I was excited about the little crab carapace and the big brachiopods from his particular spot. My brother came with me for the first time to this particular area and he really enjoyed himself. He found several perfect echinoid's as well as some brachiopods. I wanted to share the trip and photos. Hope everyone has a great weekend! :)

Libby

post-7899-0-04871900-1381537676_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-25468200-1381537729_thumb.jpg

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Pic 1: My favorite find! Little crab carapace. Paleocarpilius, Castle Hayne Formation, Eocene.

Pic 2: In situ, Squalicorax, Pee Dee Formation, Cretaceous. Not perfect, but I am happy.

post-7899-0-73917700-1381537884_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-83495100-1381538047_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

Some more from that day...

Pic 1: Partial internal mold of a Sphenodiscus lobatus, Ammonite. Pee Dee Formation, Cretaceous. Awesome to actually see the sutures in this internal mold. First ammonite find for me!

post-7899-0-71092600-1381538345_thumb.jpg

More...

Pic 1, 2 and 3: In situ Eocene echi's. Going to prep these!

post-7899-0-81059000-1381538544_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-17506300-1381538568_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-25116700-1381538617_thumb.jpg

Pic 1 and 2 Pretty brachiopod's, Plicatoria wilmingtonensis. As I have stated before, brachiopods are angelic to me. Just so delicate and beautiful!

post-7899-0-03028100-1381538754_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-49625300-1381538905_thumb.jpg

Some more...

Pic 1: In situ brachiopod. Turned out it was almost perfect. ;)

Pic 2: This was a cool specimen! Came out of the matrix in section, but that is fine by me. All put back together. Entemnotrochus nixeous, Slit Shell, Eocene, Castle Hayne Formation.

Just a great time and I look forward to going back!

post-7899-0-42671000-1381539015_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-11288800-1381539067_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

Great finds, that's a pretty cool little crab. I will be venturing out for the first time in a very long time tomorrow. Weather and conditions are not great but when you get the urdge to go you just can't help it.

Edited by bmorefossil
gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Great finds, that's a pretty cool little crab. I will be venturing out for the first time in a very long time tomorrow. Weather and conditions are not great but when you get the urdge to go you just can't help it.

Thanks! I just had to get out there even though I should have been packing boxes. Worth it though! Enjoy your excursion tom.

Sounds like somebody had themselves a fun day playing in the dirt... I finally get my chance next week. Glad to hear you had a good time and lots of fossils found.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Nice stuff Libby, I like the first pic.. is that the Eocene fm there, and what is that thing to the left? Looks like it's covered with a bryozoan?

Nice finds Libby, am sure you are proud of the ammonite----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Libby

Really nice finds. I really miss a lot of the quarries that are now closed to fossil collecting in NC and SC. Seeing your pictures in the quarry really brings back a lot of great memories.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Very nice finds, especially the crab, and a great day in the sun! You've inspired me to scout for a new site next week.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Great finds Libby! Love the crab. Glad to see you found time to get out. I'm going to try to find my way to GMR this weekend.

Brad

Nice finds.What I wouldn't do to get into some of the pits around here,it's a pretty short list lol.

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Nice, always great to get out, nice fossils too

Thanks and it was a fun time. Always great to get outdoors and smell the fresh air, dirt too! :)

Love the ammonite with sutures. That's the only way I find them out here in DE. Great finds!

Thank you gdarone! This was my first NC ammonite find and I am so happy with it. In Delaware you find the internal molds. I would love to see some pic's. :)

Sounds like somebody had themselves a fun day playing in the dirt... I finally get my chance next week. Glad to hear you had a good time and lots of fossils found.

Hey caldigger I sure did have a fun playing in the dirt! Seriously, a great time. Did the same today in my yard. Have a great excursion next week. I look forward to your finds. Have a great weekend.

Sweet finds! I really like the one I have attached. Nice one!

Thank you! Happy you like the echi! I have not prepped the matrix off yet. Will do this week. This was a cool spot to hunt. :)