Finally, An Excursion!

masonboro37

Nice stuff Libby, I like the first pic.. is that the Eocene fm there, and what is that thing to the left? Looks like it's covered with a bryozoan?

Well thank you! The first pic with the formation in it is part of the Castle Hayne. The thing on the left does have bryozoan encrusted on it. Super cool formation nodule/sediment. Posted a pic for you which show's some of the layers. So interesting. There was an area with the Garden City Member near by. That sediment will just crumble in your hands. Kind of yellow/tan and very sandy. You can see from the pic how the Eocene/ Castle Hayne ties in with the sediment layers. :)

post-7899-0-28272600-1381620637_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Very nice pictures and finds! :)

Hi Gery! Thanks! Had a great time, finally getting out. Hope all is well. :) Edited by masonboro37

I thought all the quarries were closed Libby?

Hi Rick. I will pm you soon. This was the spot I had talked to you about. ;)

Nice finds Libby, am sure you are proud of the ammonite----Tom

Hi Tom and how have you been? Thanks about the finds! I am happy about the ammonite, just a partial. For NC, that is awesome by me. Have a great rest of your weekend! :)

Libby

Really nice finds. I really miss a lot of the quarries that are now closed to fossil collecting in NC and SC. Seeing your pictures in the quarry really brings back a lot of great memories.

Marco Sr.

Thank you concerning the finds! I have missed certain quarries also. Happy the pic's brought some memories back for you. Also, thank you for looking at my trip post.

Glad to see your getting out. Love those brachs!

And nice hardhat too :D

Hi Jim! Hope you are having a great weekend. I love the brach's too. LOL, hard hart. :)

Very nice finds, especially the crab, and a great day in the sun! You've inspired me to scout for a new site next week.

Hi! Thanks about the crab! So delicate, but I have to say has a great Eocene look about him. Get out there and find some new sites! I will getting back out for a hunt in two weeks. Getting ready to work on one of your a concretion's again soon. ;)

Great finds Libby! Love the crab. Glad to see you found time to get out. I'm going to try to find my way to GMR this weekend.

Brad

Hi Brad! Wow, have not seen you since GMR! Hope you and your family are well. Thanks about the crab! Hope you made it to GMR this weekend. If you did, I look forward to seeing your finds! :)

Nice finds. Hunting fossils sure beats packing boxes for a move. Finding a crab fossil, any crab, is high up there on my list. All I've found so far are a few claw bits. I've got about a dozen live crabs in my cellar, but no fossils yet. I do have a couple of nice claws that were generously given to me, but it's always more fun to find my own. I'm happy for you that you were able to get out there and make those finds. Thanks for sharing them.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Nice finds. Hunting fossils sure beats packing boxes for a move. Finding a crab fossil, any crab, is high up there on my list. All I've found so far are a few claw bits. I've got about a dozen live crabs in my cellar, but no fossils yet. I do have a couple of nice claws that were generously given to me, but it's always more fun to find my own. I'm happy for you that you were able to get out there and make those finds. Thanks for sharing them.

Mike

Thanks Mike! Sure does win over packing boxes. I am settled now, finally. Been a long few weeks. A dozen live crabs, yum, on my way! LOL! It was great to be able to get out during a hectic time and relax doing something I love so dearly. Have a great week! :)

Hi Libby

I am glad for you that you had a great time. :)

Thats the most important, and having a great time and also find many good fossils makes everything complete.

Many times people ask me why I am always smiling entering quarries and collecting places, Well just because I get that happy feeling and I can sence in a way you have got that same feeling and know how to value that :D

Peter

Very nice, Congrats!

Hi Skylar and thanks. It was a fun day.

Wow! Congratulations. These are fabulous. Feel like you're a fossil beach comber....

Hi, thanks. I used to be a beach comber. Not so much anymore. After a good storm I will find my way to the shore. :)

Hi Libby

I am glad for you that you had a great time. :)

Thats the most important, and having a great time and also find many good fossils makes everything complete.

Many times people ask me why I am always smiling entering quarries and collecting places, Well just because I get that happy feeling and I can sence in a way you have got that same feeling and know how to value that :D

Peter

Hi Peter, I did have a great time. Exactly, happy feeling getting out there and nature. Plus, great friends along the way....priceless! :D