October Trip To Texas

Foshunter

Had a chance make some short hunting trips to areas hunted in the past. I lost my hard drive so all the situ shots are gone into the black hole of nothingness. Made me sick, this trip took over 250 pix of grand daughters and fossil hunts that couldn't be recovered. I did add to my old Texas brick collection this trip, use them at random in my modern brick paver patio just for fun, the car was riding low on the return trip to Florida.

First trip was to a creek that flows into the Sulphur R. who's banks are black land, a type of clay soil that sticks to the bottom of your boots and increases your height with every step. The creek revealed an unexpected suprise, red bed material I thought was limited to the Ladonia area, haven't found the source will be a later trip. I understand that the dam has been approved on the Sulphur which will be west of the 904 bridge and put under water the red beds west of the Ladonia bridge----WOW!!! what a loss.

post-3940-0-63736000-1382457213_thumb.jpgProjectile points like this never used Gary dart point are exciting to find

post-3940-0-57011100-1382457290_thumb.jpgPachydiscus paulsoni ammonitepost-3940-0-25867300-1382457393_thumb.jpgPieces of rudist clam

Second trip was to a productive Eagle Ford Form. site in N. Lamar Co. that has been productive in the past.

post-3940-0-17768000-1382457593_thumb.jpgpost-3940-0-74614900-1382457629_thumb.jpgCalycoceras ammonite, keel view with calcite crystals

post-3940-0-91188200-1382458243_thumb.jpgpost-3940-0-74874200-1382457732_thumb.jpgpost-3940-0-38858600-1382457774_thumb.jpgpost-3940-0-51843600-1382457801_thumb.jpgShip or tube worms?

post-3940-0-05492600-1382457874_thumb.jpgCalcite Calycoceras chambers

post-3940-0-35463300-1382457941_thumb.jpgThink this is ammonite Acanthoceras,maybe?

post-3940-0-76239200-1382458021_thumb.jpgSome species of cup coral, any suggestions?

post-3940-0-24750200-1382458096_thumb.jpgClay nodules, thought they were cool looking, don't know if there is a treasure inside haven't had the nerve ot open them

Last trip was to one of my favorite out of the normal traffic areas on the Sulphur R. which has produced nice fossils and projectile points in the past

post-3940-0-69330600-1382458453_thumb.jpgTexanus teeth, Trachyscaphites springer ammonite, some pet wood, a nice Xiphactinus audax vert and best of all an anterior Globidens tooth, so hard to findpost-3940-0-01407700-1382458853_thumb.jpgpost-3940-0-81036500-1382458882_thumb.jpg

I just hate that I lost all my ground shots, but a lesson learned, back up your hard drive----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Ouch...that's tough to hear about your hard drive. On the other hand, it looks like you had an outstanding trip back to Texas with some super finds. That Gary point is a beauty.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

nice finds, I live in north Tx and even though I'm pretty close to the NSR I haven't been able to get out there much this year.

Tom,

Thanks for the wonderful pics - great finds, all.

Did you try putting your hard drive in the freezer overnight?

Sometimes this can work to free up the hard drive if it has seized.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi Tom,

Great fossiling adventures especially when you can get family members on your side.

Hard drives….I’ve thousands of photos just like yourself all are treasured memories, I’ve a hard drive backing up a hard drive, backing up a hard drive. I too have had hard drive crashes and lost everything and spent £100s of pounds getting them restored.

My advice to you is and I’m sure you may have touched on this yourself is to get some cloud storage. I use Dropbox…..i.e. when I put any of my memory cards into my computer whether it be from a camera or mobile phone or any device you take photos with.

The program Dropbox instantly detects your memory cards and automatically uploads them into your storage cloud. I’ve signed up for 100 GB of space and for now I feel at ease.

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

wfrr----The river will change one day when the dam is build, hunt the upper end of the Sulphur and save what you and others can----Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Thanls Darren----I hate to admit this but I have an external hard drive that holds a terabit (sp?) of information that I failed to use since the end of 2011. Always thought a hard drive crash happened to the other guy---I became the other guy----Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Ouch...that's tough to hear about your hard drive. On the other hand, it looks like you had an outstanding trip back to Texas with some super finds. That Gary point is a beauty.

Thanks John---Wish I hadn't lost the situ pix of this stripped beauty, looked great partially covered in shale matrix hoping it wasn't broken----Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

Looks like you had a great trip. You have some wonderful treasures there. That Pachydiscus is a beaut. :wub:

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Hi Tom, great finds. Love the point and ammo's. Thank you for sharing your trip. So sorry about your hard drive.

Lib

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Thanks Libby and PFOOLEY, The Texas Cretaceous is an awesome place to hunt, such diversity in ammonite fossils as well as others and throw in an artifact is always good----Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

wonderful quality and variety... i'll need to order me up some of each!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Great stuff. Agree...like the variety. Always a bonus to find an artifact.

Re the clay nodules. You have to give us a blow by blow description when you open them. Perhaps video of 'the moment'.

Sorry I missed you this time around. Looks like you found some great stuff, that gary point is to die for!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

It looks like you had a productive trip. Congratulations!

Sorry to hear about your hard drive. I've noticed my computer running a little "funny" lately so I just bought a new stick drive to back-up my trilobase databeses.

Seeing these makes me miss Texas. I'm still looking for a new "hillside" here in Missouri. I don't figure I'll ever find a similarly productive spot like my hillside in TX.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Sorry I missed you this time around. Looks like you found some great stuff, that gary point is to die for!

Hey girl, wish we could have met for a hunt but it was back and forth betwen Tyler and Honey Grove this trip, granddaughters birthday party in Tyler and a friend had surgery in Paris so it was hunt when there was a window of opportunity. The plan is to be back in the area over Christmas but last year it snowed and pretty much shut down hunting------Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

It looks like you had a productive trip. Congratulations!

Sorry to hear about your hard drive. I've noticed my computer running a little "funny" lately so I just bought a new stick drive to back-up my trilobase databeses.

Seeing these makes me miss Texas. I'm still looking for a new "hillside" here in Missouri. I don't figure I'll ever find a similarly productive spot like my hillside in TX.

Sward, your hillside was a treasure trove of material, know you hated to loose that hunt area, maybe you can find something just as good in your new area----Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

sward's hill is not lost, just under new stewardship! mua ha ha! and the wifey and i will send him anything of consequence that turns up, esp anything assoc with his prior articulated finds.

Grüße,

sward's hill is not lost, just under new stewardship! mua ha ha! and the wifey and i will send him anything of consequence that turns up, esp anything assoc with his prior articulated finds.

Who better could I have entrusted it to? ;)

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

sward, the mrs took a shine to your site and its now her favorite in texas. let's see how lady luck plays out.

Grüße,

It looks like you made a great haul out there. I hate to hear it is coming to an end , with the dam being approved. I have only been there once, so it looks like I better get a trip or two in. :)

Kathy