Real Nice Little Bird Bone

Auspex

My latest acquisition is a beautifully preserved wing bone from the well-studied Pleistocene assemblage of the Haile Quarry site in Alachua County, Florida. Hopefully, you will forgive me for not removing it from the snug protection of its old coin holder for the portrait; it is very delicate!

This carpometacarpus from a Sturnella sp., and is (to me) indistinguishable from that of the extant Eastern Meadowlark (S. magna). I can find no record in the literature of this species for the site, but if anyone knows of a reference to its occurrence there, I'd love to have it. :)

post-423-0-86396700-1383676034_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There are a few papers with Pleistocene occurrences of Sturnella including this one that records Haile Quarry:

Emslie, S.D. (1998)

Avian community, climate, and sea-level changes in the Plio-Pleistocene of the Florida Peninsula.

Ornithological Monographs 50:1-113

The paper is too large for upload so please send a PM with email address and I'll be happy to send it for you.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

This one also records Sturnella at Haile Quarry:

Ligon, J.D. (1965)

A Pleistocene avifauna from Haile, Florida

Florida State Museum, Bulletin 10:127-158

There are a few papers with Pleistocene occurrences of Sturnella including this one that records Haile Quarry:

Emslie, S.D. (1998)

Avian community, climate, and sea-level changes in the Plio-Pleistocene of the Florida Peninsula.

Ornithological Monographs 50:1-113

The paper is too large for upload so please send a PM with email address and I'll be happy to send it for you.

AH! The AOU; didn't look there :blush:

I can get it through SORA. Thanks! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Always happy to help!

Ligon, J.D. (1965)

A Pleistocene avifauna from Haile, Florida

Florida State Museum, Bulletin 10:127-158

This paper is available here: LINK

Select print all pages to make a PDF. Unfortunately two pages are missing but I might be able to scan those at UO later today.