Fish Prepped :)

JackSnakes

Here he is - has an ammonite for an eyeball!

Mostly head, but I suppose that's better than mostly nothing!

The side view shows the nostrils...

2013-11-11125354.jpg

2013-11-11125339.jpg

2013-11-11125426.jpg

J

Edited by JackSnakes
  • I found this Informative 1

Fantastic prep and fossil, Jacksnakes!

Very nice indeed. I see the gill cover, eye socket, and part of the pectoral fin, as well.

Congratulations on a nice bit of fish.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I confess I did not prep it myself. Being from an area that abounds with fossils we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to fossil experts, so I took it to Chris Moore of Forge Fossils, Charmouth to do for me (these are a few of his... http://www.fossilcollections.co.uk/index.php?user=Moore )

Dapedium are a sort of 'type species' for this area, but very rare nonetheless and I am very, very pleased with it, not least because, in comparison to other specimens that have been found, the level of detail around the head is actually pretty impressive! :)

(I don't know much about the 'fossil of the month' thing though...)

Edited by JackSnakes

Fantastic prep and fossil, Jacksnakes!

Very nice indeed. I see the gill cover, eye socket, and part of the pectoral fin, as well.

Congratulations on a nice bit of fish.

Regards,

I have to admit that, the more I see of Dapedium specimens online, the more I realise just how spectacularly well preserved the plating and scaling around the head is in this instance. Although most whole specimens look great because they have a tail, the head area is usually a smattering of disjointed scales and the more I see of them, the more I am coming to realise that this was a pretty good find!

I suppose the next step is to find a whole one! :D

Beautiful fish! So weird: we have a small specimen of the Triassic fish Perleidus here on display at the American Museum of Natural History that ALSO has an ammonite in its eye. Maybe they were fish jewelry?

post-186-0-82693800-1384277793_thumb.jpg

great little find. the ones one the link you provided are amazing!!!!!!!!! amazing fish, like the 3D one and the 3D star fish is awesome too!

That is quite a stunning piece! Whatever you do, don't put it in the vertebrate find of the month. I'd have no chance of winning! :P

All kidding aside, that is an amazing piece and could be quite a contender for find of the month. Thanks a bunch for sharing!

Gabe

I like crinoids......