Nice Day In The New Mexico Desert

bluepickup

I had a pretty good day on Sunday out in a Cretaceous area. A new spot for me.

post-13407-0-87711100-1384313157_thumb.jpg

The first things I was seeing were these red stones with snails and clams. Some just on the surface of the rocks and some completely throughout.

post-13407-0-07256200-1384313560_thumb.jpg

Right away I made my first and only nice find, a nice Anchura completely exposed. It just blows me away how long that thing has been there, and that I just happened along in this age to find it!

I got so excited I forgot to photograph it before I picked it up, but I got a picture of just how it was a while later when I came to my senses.

post-13407-0-70669000-1384313808_thumb.jpg

I didn't find much else, but there were many calcite crystals and ammonite pieces to enjoy looking at, and always the thrill of the hunt.

I can't seem to upload any more photos now so I will continue later.

I think I'll hike out to those hills in the distance next time.

Good luck on your trips.

What a great scene. I just want to hop into the photo and walk and walk.

I wonder if anyone has ever taken a photo of a fossil on the ground, got home, looked at the photo and seen another specimen that went unnoticed.

I think that could happen to me. Sometimes I look and look, then suddenly realize I'm standing right next to a fossil.

I often wonder how many I didn't see.

I got so excited I forgot to photograph it before I picked it up, but I got a picture of just how it was a while later when I came to my senses.

Easy to do. :)

What a great scene.

I agree. ^_^ Bluepickup, it seems we may be enjoying some of the same areas. I love it out there. Best of luck in your adventures. Those slopes have never failed to produce a good time.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Northstar: I did JUST that this summer in SD...

Yikes, I see three things other than the tooth I want to poke at. This is why a lot of our collecting is waking and walking....then down on all fours with eyes 12 inches from the ground.

Getting home and looking at the picts and realizing I might have missed something is something I dread.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Getting home and looking at the picts and realizing I might have missed something is something I dread.

I've had weird dreams about stuff like that after a day of collecting. I once dreamed I found a pocket of crinoids in the Cincinnatian and the dream was so vivid I awoke and was flabbergasted that I hadn't really found them. Worse than monsters, storms or death.

Edited by erose

I've had weird dreams about stuff like that after a day of collecting. I once dreamed I found a pocket of crinoids in the Cincinnatian and the dream was so vivid I awoke and was flabbergasted that I hadn't really found them. Worse than monsters, storms or death.

I have definitely done this too!

That is quite a place to collect. The area looks quite expansive and serene. Thanks for sharing!

Gabe

I like crinoids......