Shark, Ray, Fish, And Other Micros From The Peace River Of Florida

MarcoSr

I know one little creek that comes into the river close to where I collect. I can give that a try. This Bone Valley member of the Hawthorn formation is a secondary, or tertiary deposit so damage is pretty widespread. Apparently the deposit was a estuary setting, chewed up and redeposited by changing ocean and river levels, then eroded into the river and redeposited. 95% of the big stuff is very damaged as well. It's still fun though. You never know what is in the next shovel full.

John,

When you have the time I'd be interested in getting more matrix from your location (medium or large flat rate box). I'll try to post pictures of my finds next weekend if possible.

John,

When you have the time I'd be interested in getting more matrix from your location (medium or large flat rate box). I'll try to post pictures of my finds next weekend if possible.

I have a little left and am planning to go back early next week if the weather cooperates. I'll have the same screens so you can expect similar matrix content including the clams. If I can get just the 100x screen instead of the entire set, I could re-screen the matrix at home after it dries, but will not have it by next week. I'll PM you when I collect it and when I ship it.

PS.I get through Gainesville fairly ofter but have never been into the creeks there. If a forum member can direct me to an easy access point where I can walk in and be close to the truck, I may be able to provide matrix from there as well.

I'm in no hurry so when ever it is convenient for you will be fine with me. I'd love to get some matrix from Gainesville and I believe there is map available online showing all of the access locations in town. I'll send you a copy If I can find again. I'm not worried about the clams so don't sweat it if some end up in the package.

I don't have a contact. About a year or two ago I drove from NC to Tampa and made a detour to Gainesville to visit the museum on campus. I had brought a small brass 1mm screen and a 1/4 inch screen with me and jumped in one of the creeks long enough to get about a 1 gallon sample of sand.

PS.I get through Gainesville fairly ofter but have never been into the creeks there. If a forum member can direct me to an easy access point where I can walk in and be close to the truck, I may be able to provide matrix from there as well.

Al Dente

If you remember, could you please PM John some directions to the creek where you screened in Gainesville? I know when we are out exploring unless we GPS the location we probably couldn't find it again.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Nice pictures again, Marco!

P.S. What is all this stuff about clams? Did you find some rotting in the matrix or something?

Stephen

Wow! Nice pictures again, Marco!

P.S. What is all this stuff about clams? Did you find some rotting in the matrix or something?

There is an evasive small clam which seems to be in a lot of the rivers now on the East Coast. When you take gravel you can get a bunch of them. They close up and can live outside of water for a while. So if you look at the gravel within a week or so of collecting it, they are still closed. If you wait too long they die, open up and sometimes smell pretty badly.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

You take such wonderful photos of these tiny specimens. I really enjoy your posts. Great job, Marco.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg