Woehr's Fossil Collecting Summary September 2013

Uncle Siphuncle

During September it appears that I inadvertently focused on the smaller stuff, mostly Cretaceous marine in origin. Feel free to view images of my month's finds on the Brazosport Museum website at the following link:

http://bcfas.org/museum/Meander/2013/Fossil%20and%20Artifact%20Report%20Sept%202013.pdf

As some of you have noticed, I've put a lot of time in to these reports over the last 10 years. As a result, especially recently, more important projects have suffered. Ten years being a nice round number, I think I'll let that body of work stand while I take an indefinite break from report writing in order to allocate more time to family, curation, displays, stuff around the house, and various paleo literary projects. I'll still be in the field as always, but the report writing is a large, non essential time commitment that will feel good to shake myself free of.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Dan,

I am sorry to hear this, but understand completely. I will miss the vicarious trips, and your highly enjoyable writing style, excellent and varied finds, and wonderful adventures and pics.

Thanks for 10 amazing years of your adventures.

I guess it's time for me to hit the archives. :)

Best of luck to you, in your other endeavors.

Best regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's been like reading National Geographic; I re-read each one many times with much pleasure. I hate to see my 'subscription' come to an end, but there is plenty to revisit and at least dull the loss. Thank you!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

My son is growing up fast, and I want to give him my full attention when he walks in and says "What can we do together tonight?"...not just sit on the couch and talk to him with one eye on my computer while I type feverishly. And it shouldn't have taken me 5 months so far to re floor my house. I have a 2 year pile of fossils in my garage in need of curation, and I need to sell our second house and move my wife's stuff into my house. So I've been adding some vertical display cabinets to the place and am eyeing some floor to ceiling bookshelves that will soon be loaded with ammonites. Going vertical will make for wonderful displays all over the house, and still make room for my wife's stuff. As part of the decluttering effort, I also plan to do 2 big donations to local elementary schools within the next few weeks.

Full plate at this end! Now you can see my reporting efforts taking on a more frivolous aspect in comparison. It began to feel like another job, a pro bono one at that, so I fired myself, much to my family's delight! Perhaps when I get caught up on things, I'll resume something in a condensed format, if I feel thusly motivated. Maybe more of a quarterly photo collage of just the highlights, grouped by age/formation. The blow by blow "me an Joe went out a-huntin'" format documenting even the more pedestrian finds is too time consuming to continue.

For those that have followed along, thank you for your interest, and I hope I've brought you vicarious enjoyment. But time is something you can never recover, so I want to use mine as effectively as possible.

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

If I may suggest Dan. Get your local fossil club to collect all your work into one and put it on a DVD as a fund raiser. They are inexpensive to make and am sure all of your efforts will endure for a bit longer. Not suggesting that you do this of course! Family first.

Dan,

I understand completely the need to focus on other things. I had to cut back on the report writing for similar reasons. We should all maintain a healthy balance in our life or else we'll burn out on this hobby and/or other things. But never say never. As a relatively new collector I found your finds and reports inspiring. There was much to admire and amaze and they made me want to go out and collect more. I hope you find a way to contribute while maintaining a healthy balance in your life. Best wishes and good luck.

I hope you find some time to post some photos here. I will continue to be curious of what you are finding.

Also, let us know when "Meanderings..." is available in hardback. :)

Good luck with the floor.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

I've always been amazed at the amount of time you must spend between traveling, collecting, prepping, cataloging, report writing, etc. Oh yeah, I forgot family and home time, too. I've always appreciated the time and effort you've put into this endeavor. I, like everyone else I'm sure, will miss your monthly reports. Hopefully, you'll be able to post some of your adventures in the "Fossil Hunting Trips" section.

Thanks for the efforts you've put forth and the motivation to all of us to reach to your levels of achievement.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Thank you, Dan, for taking us with you on all these trips. Except for the heat and the rain and the cold and the pain I almost feel like I've been there. Thanks for squeezing time out of your busy days to write these terrific reports. At some point, though, there's nothing left to squeeze. You've got the right idea, using more of that time to hang out with your son. They grow fast, they grow up, and they're out of the house before you know it. Enjoy your family and your whirlwind adventures without the pressure of another monthly report. Happy trails.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Hi,

Dan, I have a little of delay in the reading of your reports (they are long...), but I love them. You find magnificent things, your huntings alone or in family are always a pleasure to read. For me, you are the Indiana Jones of modern times ! If I could have the opportunity to be able to look for fossils with you and your family, I would not hesitate to taste the snake or to sleep outside in the middle of nowhere.

I understand you need to refocus you on your family. Time flies and it is necessary to take advantage of it. You will greet for me Brett whow I regret not reading any more on the forum.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

thanks coco. you are welcome to collect with us anytime.

Grüße,

Great report! These will be missed. But we know you will still be around.

He FYI, I think I may have the other half of a Goniopygus you show mixed in with the Hyposalenias. It was my only Goniopygus from the microzone so far.

hey erich, it seems only fitting that i hand over the goniopygus half to you since i have a few whole ones already. we pulled on the goniopygus wishbone and you got the bigger half! looks like a clean break, and it will be a goliath specimen for that site once rejoined. we can either meet in person, or pm me your street address and i'll send it to you before my garage swallows it.

Grüße,

hey erich, it seems only fitting that i hand over the goniopygus half to you since i have a few whole ones already. we pulled on the goniopygus wishbone and you got the bigger half! looks like a clean break, and it will be a goliath specimen for that site once rejoined. we can either meet in person, or pm me your street address and i'll send it to you before my garage swallows it.

Just put it aside for safe keeping and either I'll come by your place (we keep circling in on that) or somewhere on the rocks (which would be fun too.)

Of course it is only a slim chance that the two halves match. But I found mine around the same time. There were quite a few of us dancing in the microzone between the rains this fall.

later,

Understandable... time... who has enough of it..

Will miss my monthly fix of beautifull US scenery and fossils...:) Looking forward to reading this last one...

Dan,

All I can say is "Thanks for the memories and the photos." I'm sorry for the rest of us that there may be no more of these reports but understand your decision to spend more time with your growing son, your new wife, and your home life in general. Your reports have been fun to read - sort of like episodes of "American Pickers" in written form but just for fossils. They have been excellent lessons for newbies (and us not-so-newbies) on what can happen when you do research and scout your own sites. You appreciate your modest and fantastic finds more after you've come up empty on more than a few trips. You get a kick out of finding an interesting piece of something you didn't expect as much as the "big find."

I hope you can still shoot us a photo when you find something weird again.

Thanks again,

Jess

During September it appears that I inadvertently focused on the smaller stuff, mostly Cretaceous marine in origin. Feel free to view images of my month's finds on the Brazosport Museum website at the following link:

http://bcfas.org/museum/Meander/2013/Fossil%20and%20Artifact%20Report%20Sept%202013.pdf

As some of you have noticed, I've put a lot of time in to these reports over the last 10 years. As a result, especially recently, more important projects have suffered. Ten years being a nice round number, I think I'll let that body of work stand while I take an indefinite break from report writing in order to allocate more time to family, curation, displays, stuff around the house, and various paleo literary projects. I'll still be in the field as always, but the report writing is a large, non essential time commitment that will feel good to shake myself free of.

Dan, can't add anymore than what has just been posted. Just want to say thanks and hope to see you on here even if it's in a much less abridged version.

Penny

Hey Dan, lots of great insitu photos and finds as usual! I also understand cutting back--there is only so much time on this planet and you have to divy it up amongst your priorities! Enjoy the family and dabble when you can! Thanks for sharing all of the adventures with us. Nice work! Regards, Chris

thanks all. still enjoying my field time, but more light and nimble without the crush of self imposed obligation. in other words...good times!

Grüße,