Petrified Wood - Is It Possible For Pilocene (3 Mya) Wood To Get This Kind Of Agatization

AJ Plai

Hi

I recently got this Thai Petrified Wood which the previous owner said to be about 3 Million years old from the Khorat Plateau of Thailand. Although I am under the impression that for a fossil to get this kind of agatization a specimen need to be much older. Here is the specimen:

post-10857-0-99155200-1384844397_thumb.pngpost-10857-0-05103100-1384844405_thumb.pngpost-10857-0-68780800-1384844421_thumb.png

The colors and type of agatization I see on this specimen looks to be very close to the kind you see on petrified wood from Arizona or Madagascar which I believe are Jurassic specimens? So perhaps the one I have may be much older than the info I was given?

Thx :)

This is an extract from the Khorat Fossil Museum’s notes on their Exhibition of Petrified Wood:

“Petrified wood found in Nakhon Ratchasima have gemstone quality such as opal, carnelian, agate, and jasper. Thailand’s largest log of opal petrified wood was found in Suranaree subdistrict…

…The petrified woods of angiosperms plants have been found in Nakhon Ratchasima. Their ages vary from early Pleistocene (800,000 years ago) and early Cretaceous (140-120 million years ago). The country’s largest petrified coniferous wood (1.75 m in diameter) from late Jurassic (~150 million years ago) has been found in Pak Chong district. Late Jurassic coniferous petrified wood from Pak Chong district, Nakhon Ratchasima.”

Website here:

http://www.khoratfossil.org/engmuseum/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=55

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]