Another Monster Fish!

KansasFossilHunter

On Saturday, November 16th a friend and I drove out to one of our favorite hunting sites in Gove county, KS. I had found fragments of pectoral fin and operculum elements (from a Xiphactinus) several months ago and wanted to further investigate the site.

post-6661-0-16635500-1384987160_thumb.jpg

We took turns digging into the solid chalk for about 4 hours, before I uncovered what looked to be the dentary of the fish. The piece was incredibly crushed and slightly root damaged, so I coated it in several layers of Butvar. Sadly, many of the teeth broke but can probably be saved.

To be continued in next post--

The dentary (lower jaw) was very loose so we decided to extract it and leave the rest for a better time.

After left lower jaw is removed:

post-6661-0-47408300-1384987687_thumb.jpg

Outlined in red to better illustrate. The maxilla (upper jaw) and premaxilla are also present.

post-6661-0-30482300-1384987719_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Just after I dug it up, in all it's ugliness:

post-6661-0-56274500-1384987911_thumb.jpg

Surprisingly, I was able to save many of the teeth (wait and see) :)

• I found this Informative 1

Nice find, hope the prep goes well---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Special kudos for the image with the red outlining; this makes it so much easier for me to understand what I'm seeing.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Special kudos for the image with the red outlining; this makes it so much easier for me to understand what I'm seeing.

Glad you found it helpful :)

Nice find, hope the prep goes well---Tom

So far so well. I'm looking to do some reconstruction on the teeth.

Looking forward to seeing the finsihed product.

I see why you needed the consolidant - it looks mighty fragile.

Good luck with the prep.

terrific report and photos, I can't wait to see the results :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Nice job. I was afraid it had bad "root-rot", but that looks very nice cleaned up.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Nice job. I was afraid it had bad "root-rot", but that looks very nice cleaned up.

Ramo

Thanks! Hope the rest gets to looking this good when I get around to digging it up.

Awesome job! Came out better than I expected from the in the field shots. Well done!

Thanks, Scott!

Fascinating find and prep job! Congratulations.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Excellent job!! Thanks for showing the stages of discovery, extraction and final prepped specimen.

That jaw looks Bad.. as in.. to the Bone :)

How did you remove the jaw from the matrix without damaging the rest of the fossil?

When you did get it out what did you wrap it in to get it home?

And finally, What methods or techniques did you use to prep such a fragile piece?

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

An amazing fossil. Big congratulations. Years ago I used to live in Denver and though fossil collecting was very much a back shelf hobby of mine I did venture once to Western Kansas to seek the famed fossils there. Almost all of the outcrops were on private land. At one small outcrop of chalk that didn't have barb wire in front of it I did find a small piece of fish, a few rib bones. I also saw some enormous oyster shells that were too fragile to collect. Besides that the only thing I found was a prairie rattler. You're very lucky to have access to a world class site that it is still producing extraordinary fossils. Thanks for posting.