Another Monster Fish!

KansasFossilHunter

Excellent job, Kris!

Thanks for sharing it with us, here.

Here's hoping you can get the rest of it out.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Excellent job!! Thanks for showing the stages of discovery, extraction and final prepped specimen.

That jaw looks Bad.. as in.. to the Bone :)

How did you remove the jaw from the matrix without damaging the rest of the fossil?

When you did get it out what did you wrap it in to get it home?

And finally, What methods or techniques did you use to prep such a fragile piece?

Thanks!

-There was a fine space of matrix between both jaws as well as some small roots. It was loose so I took it out.

-I cleared a space and gently placed it on a towel and made sure it wouldn't move.

-To prep it I gently wetted the matrix and scraped the matrix away with a needle tool. Later, I came back with a toothbrush-like thing and cleaned the finer details. Lastly I wiped the surface with a damp cloth and brushed away and bits of rock. In areas that had consolident from the field I used acetone to clear the glue. I might put new Butvar on the jaw soon.

Time consuming but very fun to see it progress! :)

Very cool! Excellent work on the preparation. Thanks for the site photo, beautiful place.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Excellent find. I really liked the in situ photographs and then the before and after shots of the jaw. I can't wait to see some more prepped. Thanks.

Thanks for the info KFH. I can appreciate your efforts even more. :)

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

• 2 weeks later...

Today, the tooth reconstruction putty arrived- should have something to show you soon. I also entered the fossil in the FOTM competition and it looks close this month- Remember to vote! ;)

very cool~!

couple of questions for ya; how hard is the chalk material this is in? are the fossil usually brittle? and finally, If I visit my sister in law in Olathe, how far and hard is it to hunt this area?

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

very cool~!

couple of questions for ya; how hard is the chalk material this is in? are the fossil usually brittle? and finally, If I visit my sister in law in Olathe, how far and hard is it to hunt this area?

The Chalk is quite soft- and the fossil is very crumbly! This particular site is on private property and I'd rather not tell where ;) it's about 5 hours from Olathe, KS though.

I could point you to a spot or two (PM me) but 99% of hunting locations are on private property.

Edited by KansasFossilHunter

The Chalk is quite soft- and the fossil is very crumbly! This particular site is on private property and I'd rather not tell where ;) it's about 5 hours from Olathe, KS though.

I understand, I didn't know if there was public land that could be hunted.

So what do you use to stabilize the fossil in the field? and how do you stabilize it for display after you prep it? This is very interesting to me as I seen your reply with this next to a previous find and it looks amazing.

I understand, I didn't know if there was public land that could be hunted.

So what do you use to stabilize the fossil in the field? and how do you stabilize it for display after you prep it? This is very interesting to me as I seen your reply with this next to a previous find and it looks amazing.

In the field, I use PVA beads in acetone (Butvar) to consolidate it. At home the coating comes off with acetone and I can add a a fresh coat of Butvar, or leave it natural. If it is too crumbly in the field, I can jacket the specimen with plaster or pour the plaster directly on the fossil then dig under and flip it (slab).

Enchodus dentary using the slab method:

post-6661-0-45890100-1386160228_thumb.jpg

Ok, I hear ya, very nice pics as I am more of a visual learner so much appreciated!

Did you have to rebuild the teeth in that one section?

Ok, I hear ya, very nice pics as I am more of a visual learner so much appreciated!

Did you have to rebuild the teeth in that one section?

I'm a visual learner too :)

On the practice piece- all the teeth are rebuilt. On the Big jaw- I haven't done any rebuilding because it doesn't match the existing teeth very well. Eventually I'll figure something out.