Texas Hill Country Hunting

JamieLynn

A friend found out about my hobby of fossiking (particularly urchins) and says "oh, there are hundreds of the round urchins on my property, come on out!" So, I did and was initially disappointed to find out that what he thought were round urchins, were in fact algal fruiting bodies or porocystis globularis (as I discovered a while back when I first found the fossil forum, thinking I had some cool eggs....)

So finding literally hundreds of these globularis was quite cool, but I wanted urchins! Now, also, there were urchins. Lots and lots and lots...of heart urchins. Which I like. A lot. But I also find them quite frequently where I am. I was wanting ROUND urchins! I havn't found but a few of those in my huntings. So I kept hunting. And was rewarded with a few small but nice phymosoma texanum round urchins. Yay!!

And a mess of nice gastopods and bivlaves (some really adorable, yes, adorable, small deer heart clams) .All in all, a good days hunt! post-11255-0-07121500-1387491077_thumb.jpgpost-11255-0-41039600-1387491096_thumb.jpgpost-11255-0-83071900-1387491105_thumb.jpgpost-11255-0-35015500-1387491119_thumb.jpgpost-11255-0-27541900-1387491144_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Great finds! Urchins are pretty uncommon 'round my stomping grounds. I am always thrilled to find one. These that you found are wonderful.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

I would be happy to find the algal things. They are so different than anything else one finds.

Context is critical.

Very cool! Sounds like you not only found some nice fossils (not to mention the round urchins you was after) but a new site to hunt as well!

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

• 11 months later...

Just thought I would revive this topic considering a post was made on another forum that just seemed not quite right.

Jamie,

You have some "tube worm" fossils posted that even though they seem to be tube worms they may be something entirely different.

The ones you found in direct association may be the "stemming" of the Porocystis Globularis.

The Globularis had to have had a means of growth that spawned the fruiting body.

Thus the disassociated "broken" specimens may be just that, broken stems.

The Globularis is an enigma or even a paradox specimen that has yet to be fully described by any satisfactory means.

The extent of study has been limited to may be, could be, appears to be.

Nothing that would point a finger to any conclusive description. I even use the term may be,

There was a reply that had the "stems" identified first as crinoid stems then as a snail. Nerinea aquilinea.

The picture of the Nerinea they replied with was for sale on Flea bay.

I attempted to let her know that her specimens were not gastropods or crinoids but there was no convincing her otherwise.

Then again, I'll say it again, may be stems to the Globularis.

BTW: Has anyone given you any leads on your regular echinoids found in the Glen Rose Formation.

The round or regular echinoids normally found in the Glen Rose are called "Loriolia Rosana" and "Loriolia Comanchei" although they may be one and the same.

The Globator echinoids can be found in some areas of the Glen Rose and on occasion are quite abundant.

I am surprised you have not come across a lens filled with them.

If anyone has any more input on the identification "stems vs. fruiting" it would be fulfilling to actually see evidence giving credence to this enigma.

Sponge, Algae or something entirely different. There is little or nothing to compare them with.

Jess B.

You can lead a horse to water etc...etc...

Edited by bone2stone

Jamie,

Nice specimens. The term for round urchins is "regular". I also think your Phymosomas may in fact be Loriolias although Phymosoma does occur in the Glen Rose. But that is also assuming you are in the Glen Rose. Everything you show there could have been found in the Walnut Fm. as well.

Good stuff.

Here is the paper you need to help identify your Glen Rose echinoids. It is probably the most complete paper on GR echinoids ever done and it is relatively current*.

Echinoid diversity, preservation potential and sequence

stratigraphical cycles in the Glen Rose Formation

(early Albian, Early Cretaceous), Texas, USA

Andrew B. Smith & William L. Rader

Do a search and you will find a free link (or PM me and I will send it) or it may be n the FF library already.

* Since this paper was published a handful of us have found at least three other echinoid genera not previously listed for the formation. Maybe one day they will be described.

• I found this Informative 1