Glyptodon

garyc

It's been a while since I got out on the Brazos. The water is cold! I had to share my find of the day. I never thought I would find such a nice intact section of glyptodon. I have found several individual daisies with their petals, to borrow from Shellseeker's lingo; but nothing like this! It measures about 7" x 5.5"

post-5020-0-54946900-1389386731_thumb.jpg

post-5020-0-24921200-1389386743_thumb.jpg

Su-perb :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

exceptional. i found something like that once, but yours is higher grade, similar to south american material i've seen.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

First time I've seen a fossil pic of the famous armored mammal, and it looks terrific:) Congratulations on a truly wonderful find!

WoW -- That is really impressive and incredibly rare!!! Congrats on a one in a lifetime.. Plus I am on the bandwagon -- trying to change my terminology since Rich has pointed out how to correctly describe these-- :)

The largest multiple found that I have seen is 4 units....

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Oh man those are one of my favorite fossils. That is awesome. I would have passed out finding something like that.

Robert
Southeast, MO

Man that is AWESOME!!!!Congats on such a great find!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I'd like to have a hard hat, for quarry and high-wall use, embossed with that pattern :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for all the comments. I have never entered anything for fossil of the month, but I think I'll try this month.

Go for it, man. Mine won VFOTM 3 years ago. Yours is better.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

That is so very very sweet. WOW!!!

I think my heart would stop if I found something like that.

WTG!

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

Nice, indeed. I sometimes forget how rare these animals are elsewhere, and how rare connected sections are. We find so many complete ones in my study area that we get somewhat jaded.

Definitely a VOTM candidate.

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

It's been a while since I got out on the Brazos. The water is cold! I had to share my find of the day. I never thought I would find such a nice intact section of glyptodon. I have found several individual daisies with their petals, to borrow from Shellseeker's lingo; but nothing like this! It measures about 7" x 5.5"

Awesome! As in I'm truly in awe! I've found invidual rosettes or partials thereof (in fact I found a very large but partial one today) but never so much as 2 articulated ones.

I'd not heard of the Brazos before but a quick Google search of Brazos and fossil turned up another place that I've just added to my fossil bucket list--thanks for that!

Congrats on a spectacular find that would have made my day, week, month, and likely year (possibly decade).

Cheers.

-Ken

And to think I was happy to find some of the individual partial plates this past weekend--those articulated sections you all have are stunning. Very nice!

Regards, Chris