Glyptodon

garyc

What a great find! :drool:

When I was a kid (50 years ago) I loved all the prehistoric creatures, collected and read as many books on the subject as possible. I had quite a few of the plastic dinosaurs that I'd play with for hours, I kept them and passed them on to my kids (son) and now they're stashed away for his kids.

Glyptodon was one of my favorites, with his shell and the "club" at the end of his tail. I viewed it as kind of like a mild-mannered tank. Does anyone know if Science's perception of glyptodon changed over the years, like for so many other prehistoric creatures?

Edited by hrguy54

What a great find! :drool:

When I was a kid (50 years ago) I loved all the prehistoric creatures, collected and read as many books on the subject as possible. I had quite a few of the plastic dinosaurs that I'd play with for hours, I kept them and passed them on to my kids (son) and now they're stashed away for his kids.

Glyptodon was one of my favorites, with his shell and the "club" at the end of his tail. I viewed it as kind of like a mild-mannered tank. Does anyone know if Science's perception of glyptodon changed over the years, like for so many other prehistoric creatures?

I think I still have the same set of plastic dinos stashed away somewhere. After reading this I want to find them and play with them!

I'll go find mine, take pictures and post a whole new topic. I'll bet a lot of members had 'em and still have them around somewhere. We may have to start a new fossil discussion area.... Fossil Toys and Models.

Edited by hrguy54

Well, they are a big armored animal with a shell, and the shell in so many species, particularly in South America, has been known from complete specimens for more than two centuries. So, in one sense, our idea of what they are like hasn't changed all that much. I like to think of them as Volkswagen Beetles moving across the landscape.

Dave Gillette and Clayton Ray proposed that the North American genus, Glyptotherium, was semi-aquatic, feeding on soft lake and marsh vegetation, and taking to the water for protection. In fact, for the BBC production which included the Glyptotherium from our research area in eastern Arizona, Dave worked with the animators to actually show the animal underwater.

Some of the South American species, with their very long, heavily armored, spiked and clubbed tails, evoke a very different, more aggressive image.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

For what it's worth, armadillos can walk across the bottom of small bodies of water, or gulp air for buoyancy and swim larger ones with a strong dog-paddle.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah, that was the set that came with little trees and a volcano (or mountain?). I had that too.

I think I still have the same set of plastic dinos stashed away somewhere. After reading this I want to find them and play with them!

That's a great display piece and something different from a bone or tooth - certainly a strong candidate for VFOTM. Someone who doesn't collect fossils might think it's a nicely detailed artifact.

It's been a while since I got out on the Brazos. The water is cold! I had to share my find of the day. I never thought I would find such a nice intact section of glyptodon. I have found several individual daisies with their petals, to borrow from Shellseeker's lingo; but nothing like this! It measures about 7" x 5.5"

• 2 weeks later...