Oreodont Prep Series

snolly50

My thanks to all who viewed this prep series and especially those who commented. This was a fun activity for me and it is my hope that others found the posted account informative or at least entertaining.

Here she is at the start.

post-8873-0-16868600-1396127054_thumb.jpg

Here she is now.

post-8873-0-77054500-1396127131_thumb.jpg post-8873-0-74299600-1396127183_thumb.jpg

Her name is Lucinda.

• I found this Informative 5

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

My thanks to all who viewed this prep series and especially those who commented. This was a fun activity for me and it is my hope that others found the posted account informative or at least entertaining.

Here she is at the start.

attachicon.gifDSC_3785ac.jpg

Here she is now.

attachicon.gifDSC_4089acz.jpg attachicon.gifDSC_4080acz.jpg

Her name is Lucinda.

Snolly, A Great prep job and a great series, and very educational. Thank you, Ziggie

Lucinda is one lucky girl to have found you.

Your pictures are as excellent as the prep.

Thanks again for showing us the beauty of a well prepared specimen.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Amazing snolly!!! You did a spectacular job. I have enjoyed following this post and seeing her 'come to life' if you will... Thanks so much for sharing. :)

Lucinda is one lucky girl to have found you.

Your pictures are as excellent as the prep.

Thanks again for showing us the beauty of a well prepared specimen.

The word is out that he knows how to treat a lady :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Snolly, you have found your calling! (and it ain't poetry :P )

That Scylla thinks he's really slick

So I made up a rhyme real quick.

Verse will daze him,

really amaze him.

So there, this ought to do the trick!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

There's one thing that is for certain...

This beauty's unveiled from a dusty curtain.

While Snolly's poems do lead to jest,

his prep work is among the best!

Sorry I couldn't help myself dear Snolly. lol ;)

Edited by lissa318

LordTrilobite, ZiggieCie, squali, Auspex, scylla and especially the beauteous, poetic lissa, thanks for the approbation. Again this has been a really fun project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lucinda gets a home

post-8873-0-31777300-1401972763_thumb.jpg

She was placed in temporary storage after prep. Today she was moved to a proper display case. She is now ensconced on the middle shelf of the upper compartment of a display case in the formal dining room of Palatial Snolly Manor. This is one of three cases stuffed into that room - snolly has a great wife. Thus far Lucinda has voiced no complaint regarding her new accommodations.

• I found this Informative 3

Thank you for showing Professor Snolly's Cabinet of Wonder!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Great work, Snolly! It has been a thrill watching Lucinda come along!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

• 2 weeks later...

As a bonus to the prep experience of this critter, I discovered soon after I received it that the teeth are fluorescent! Last night I attempted to photograph the phenomenon. Nikon D600 with 50mm lens; tripod mounted; f/1.8; exposure .77 seconds; ISO advanced to 1250. The photo was processed with Photoshop Elements 11. It was cropped and the file size greatly reduced for posting. The shot was taken in a totally dark room; the fossil illuminated via a small hand held lamp with a mid-wave UV tube. Unexpectedly, this specimen fluoresces more vigorously under mid-wave, as opposed to short-wave UV.

attachicon.gifDSC_3930acz.jpg

The color of the fluorescing teeth is slightly more "greenish yellow" than the photo captures. The dark spots on the mandible are small bits of uncleared matrix. The white spots visible are bits of lint probably from the paper towels. This was a fun exercise. Thanks for looking.

My two Oreodont skulls also have teeth that Fluoresce, a bright orange with a green-brown tinge to it. I was wondering if this means the teeth aren't real, or at least coated or sealed with something ( that would be the fluorescing agent). It's good to know that yours is the same, and obviously natural since you freed it from the natural rock yourself. Thank for helping to answer this question of fime (even if you didn't know it)

You might find that the teeth are mildly radioactive; this is reasonably common with White River material.

• I found this Informative 2

I've been watching this topic off-and-on for a while and, given that I've prepped more than a few oreodont skulls, I've certainly been impressed with your thoroughness, snolly50. Nice job!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

You might find that the teeth are mildly radioactive; this is reasonably common with White River material.

Very interesting. Just the teeth? why not the whole specimen?

How would I test this, other then buying a Geiger counter (probably not worth it for a one-minute curiosity satifaction effort).

• 3 weeks later...

Cool stuff, I enjoy prepping the gravel out of some gravel pit mammoth and gomphothere teeth I come across but I eventually want to prep a oreodont skull.

Post your Proboscidea!!!!!

Very interesting. Just the teeth? why not the whole specimen?

How would I test this, other then buying a Geiger counter (probably not worth it for a one-minute curiosity satifaction effort).

Do you have a local rock club? Someone there might have a geiger counter or scintillometer that you could use.

• 2 months later...

"Having a nice fossil is the more entertaining part of the hobby. It is prepping that will be the most frustrating and time consuming part!"

I find the opposite to be true. I much prefer the discovery and preparation of the specimens over the curation of a collection.

• 5 months later...

Snolly,

Thank you so much for tagging me and sending me a link to your prep series! You have answered so many questions for me and unearthed so many others.

I see you work outside sometimes. Do you have any sort of box you use for inside work? Living in Michigan, I will need a way to work inside safely and keeping the dust to a workable minimum. I need to build an enclosure of some type.

As I posted earlier I have the paleo aro and another paleo chisel and well as a compressor, goggle, dust masks, and a box of starter fossils from SD. You mentioned a saw, needle, and other tools (emulsifier?) that elude me right now. What would you recommend that I ad to my tool kit? Adhesives too. I was recommended to check out the Black Hills Inst.

Again, thank you for sharing your journey. I might be even more excited now than I was when the box 1st arrived.

Barb

• 3 weeks later...

This series of posts got "reopened" with a recent entry. So, I am taking the opportunity of putting up the following picture of prepped Oreodont bits in an effort to encourage those who have expressed an interest in prepping this interesting White River material. I acquired (eBay) this unprepped lot for the sum of $2.25. Now, of course, shipping added $10; but even with that I am in it for a small amount of cash. To my mind you can have a ton of prep enjoyment, end up with some intriguing pieces and get a feel for the typical matrix for small money and with a few simple tools. Then, if still interested, one could seek a "complete" specimen for prep. Indeed working on partials like this gives a wonderful sense of the "mountain teeth." A lot such as this is not always available, but keeping an eye out will reveal available partials in various completeness.

This summer I hope to post another series, Oreodont prep II. I have an almost completely encased skull that I believe to be Leptauchenia decora. We'll see. Have fun.

post-8873-0-69914000-1427723958_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3