Oreodont Prep Series

snolly50

I neglected to include the UV light photo of the Merycoidodon culbertsoni, the old prep; when I posted above. Here is the UV shot. Her teeth are orange, as opposed to the greenish-yellow of the new M. gracilis. Also the fluorescence is not as "bright" in this larger critter.

post-8873-0-93499700-1394042699_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Nice work, snolly. I say the tooth marks are indeed tooth marks. Thw way the bones seem to be collapsed into the skull suggestes tooth marks. They are not uncommon in the White River. Not necessarily sabertooths... there are many other carnivores in the White River.

Ray... I know this is a technicality, but Kent teaches at Casper College, not UW, Casper. I am intrigued by this line of yours...

"Kent was exposed to Badland collecting by a member of the Fossil Forum in the 1970's." Did you take Kent out to the badlands when he was but a wee college student? I'll ask him. Yes, his burrowing theory is intriguing.

• I found this Informative 1

I took Kent out to do what I was good at and Kent took me out to do what he was good at.

He got his introduction to Badland fossils and I got my first Elk on my first hunting trip on opening day for hunting Elk. I think that worked out best for both of us and myself, as a struggling UW student on GI Bill and family... we had Elk for a long time! Never went hunting again...

Casper College... and here I thought it became the 2nd University of Wyoming location. Casper College found themselves are REAL field Geologist to teach classes and the Tate Museum will never lack enthusiasm for new discoveries.

Kent, to anyone who knows who jpc and I speak... at the time had a wee beard as well. Now you know how long ago this was.

And you are right about a number of carnivores in the White River Formation. I think we can eliminate Hoplophoneus from the possibilities as this was a bit higher up in the Lower Brule, at least.

Edited by Ray Eklund
  • I found this Informative 2

I can't imagine Kent with a wee beard. For those who don;tknow him, Kent has a ZZ Top beard.

Ray, Kent says Howdy.

Thanks for the Tate Museum plug. Now I gotta get back to work so we can make those new discoveries. Or move my office... whichever comes first.

I had only a few minutes today to work on the oreodont project. I am at the base of the skull, still removing matrix. It had been previously mentioned that the lack of color contrast between fossil and matrix complicates this prep. As stated, when damp a contrast is evident. This picture shows this phenomena. The upper area has been dampened - the matrix free fossil material remains off-white and the matrix takes on a brown hue. In this case the matrix infilled foramen magnum is evident. In previous posts the question was raised, if applying a sealant to the piece would increase the contrast between the fossil and any remaining matrix. This made me think of using watercolor paint. This is often done with dinosaur tracks to make the print "stand out" from the same colored stone. I can see an application here in darkening the matrix within the orbits; making the "eyes" more recognizable to enhance the display presentation. Watercolor is used as it is removable. I do not know if that is the case with this matrix. I would test on some scrap before committing. I have already "dished" the eye matrix and this step has provided more contrast.

post-8873-0-96269100-1394159913_thumb.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

For me the idea of a display specimen is to see discernible anatomy.

you could match the damp matrix color

It is looking real good there Snolly

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Great prep work so far, snolly. Don'truin it with paint, or shiny spray. Excavate the orbits and the foramen magnum a bit more and accent them with lighting. Never ever paint a fossil... so sez I. I look at painted fish and tracks and say.. OK, so with that darn paint on it, I can't see if it is a real fossil or a piece of snarge painted to look like a fossil. Don't paint it, I implore. Of course, it is your very own fossil to do with as you choose. I don't think any spray things will not make it look like it does when wet. Only water will do that.

Great prep work so far, snolly. Don'truin it with paint, or shiny spray. Excavate the orbits and the foramen magnum a bit more and accent them with lighting. Never ever paint a fossil... so sez I. I look at painted fish and tracks and say.. OK, so with that darn paint on it, I can't see if it is a real fossil or a piece of snarge painted to look like a fossil. Don't paint it, I implore. Of course, it is your very own fossil to do with as you choose. I don't think any spray things will not make it look like it does when wet. Only water will do that.

Like squali commented above I want to be able to ascertain the major features of the piece at a glance. But have no fear, I am basically anti-paint as well. I would never paint a fish and none of my dino tracks are highlighted. However, as I've already confessed, I'm an acrylic sprayer. That being said, one of the reasons I wanted to do this prep series on the Forum was to get feedback and opinions from others. Actually this material is pretty stable. The only reason I can think of at this point to coat it with anything is if it were going to be handled a lot (like passed around a classroom).

So for now, I will "scoop" some more on the orbits and foramen magnum. The "eye" area is already looking better with the increased shadows.

I am really enjoying hearing others opinions as to what should or should not be done. I hope folks will continue to comment as this moves forward. This is a lot of fun for me.

Putting lipstick on an Oreodont... it is still an Oreodont.

Some false eye lashes. Lip gloss... you will have one hot gracilis.

jpc is correct. Avoid spraying it. It might not adhere and eventually begin to flake off.

To get a better shine to the bone. Take a soft cloth and rub it. Then rub it some more. This will polish the exterior powder off and you will have a skull to admire for decades! Find a spot on the cranium that is smooth and use one finger with cloth to the exposed skull and burnish it some. If it improves the natural gloss... you are home free.

If this does not work. Technique number TWO. Hang it on your rear view mirror and let it "age". This "baby might be upper Brule Member and just under 36,000,000 years old and just a youngster. Age before Beauty... you know,

Putting lipstick on an Oreodont... it is still an Oreodont.

Some false eye lashes. Lip gloss... you will have one hot gracilis.

Thanks!!! Now this prep is getting somewhere! Unfortunately, I had to special order the lip gloss. The local CVS Pharmacy doesn't stock "Oligocene Orange."

post-8873-0-81938000-1394229640_thumb.jpg

Thanks!!! Now this prep is getting somewhere! Unfortunately, I had to special order the lip gloss. The local CVS Pharmacy doesn't stock "Oligocene Orange."attachicon.gifDSC_3957acz.jpg

Bwahaha!! Very cute!

Great job with the prep!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

As previously reported, this beauties premaxilla is still resting somewhere in the Badlands. In an effort to decide how to proceed with finishing the "snoot end" the area was closely examined. As hoped, some evidence of a couple of incisors (lower) was found. This was a welcome discovery in terms of prep plans, but also provided an excuse to try out my brand new macro extension tube set. This accessory (basically a tube with no optics, just contacts, to enable auto focusing and metering) mounts the lens further from the film plane (sensor). This reduces focal distance and increases magnification of the image. At this close distance auto focus is of dubious worth so it is best disabled. Depth of field is extremely shallow. A tripod with a rack and pinion mount for focus would be ideal. To make this shot I simply bobbed back and forth a few mm to get the focus. The close-up shot shows the broken stub of a tooth and some additional adjacent tooth evidence.

post-8873-0-33869600-1394372114_thumb.jpg post-8873-0-64761100-1394372171_thumb.jpg

The camera employed is the Nikon D600 fitted with the Vivitar macro extension tube set (around $70) and a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens. As always, images are greatly reduced in size/resolution for posting. Here is what the new rig looks like.

post-8873-0-89335600-1394372544_thumb.jpg

Naturally, safety is important in prepping. Precautions should be taken against dust and eye safety should always be considered. In this prep I am mostly working outside, but even then, I use a simple dust mask. This matrix powders readily. You can see a fine plume of smoke-like dust waft up as you brush away pulverized matrix. If you were working indoors with power tools a dust system should be mandatory. For eyes, my magnifying visor is judged adequate protection, given the type of tools I am using. If I were using an air-powered tool or a high speed rotary tool, I would employ safety glasses. So I am pretty safe, but what about the fossil? As you have seen in the pictures, she is resting on a multi-fold of cushy towel. However there is still danger. I find it comes mostly from my own ham-handedness. To prep the piece must be manipulated; picked up, held, flipped over, etc. It's very easy when you are concentrating on the task of the moment to grab the fossil in a possibly harmful way. It's disconcerting to be working along and realize you've broken off a piece from a part you weren't even working on. I have made it a habit to try and protect areas not currently under prep. In this case you can see I've bubble-wrapped the teeth and vulnerable snout. Does it really help? I don't know; but it makes me feel better. Here she is wearing her custom snoot protector, while I work on the skull base and eye sockets.

post-8873-0-30751000-1394491625_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks!!! Now this prep is getting somewhere! Unfortunately, I had to special order the lip gloss. The local CVS Pharmacy doesn't stock "Oligocene Orange."

attachicon.gifDSC_3957acz.jpg

I knew I should not have put this hot gracilis up for auction. I just knew it. Lipstick and eye lashes did the trick!

I hope when your are done doing this "face lift", add up the hours of prep time. Many who are interested in vertebrate fossils do not have much experience in the amount of time it took to turn an old face into a real "hum dinger".

post-8873-0-45791800-1394824545_thumb.jpg

The last of the ElectroStylus work has been completed. Any additional matrix removal will be done with a carbide needle (which I just noticed needs sharpening - keep 'em honed!). This clean-up to the skull base/rear of mandible and then refinement to the incisor area are the only matrix removal tasks left. As can be seen from the photo there is a fair amount of matrix left at the rear of the skull. From below the entire interior of the mandible remains full of matrix. Matrix obscures, but it also supports and strengthens the fossil. For example, matrix has been left on the backside of the mandible at the rear where it is easily accessible for removal. I think it best left for support. Of course, if this fossil were to be used for anatomical study someone may chose to remove all matrix visible from any vantage.

• I found this Informative 3

As previously mentioned the left mandible was broken during prep. The area had been damaged allowing matrix to invade the bone. This was repaired, but the bone pieces did not fit flush because of the infill that had been present. This resulted in an approximately 1/32" wide crack in that area.

I now believe this original damage represents a second bite site. The type of impressions and distance between them are consistent with the previously discussed damage to the right cranium. Fascinating.

Forum member, Herb in another topic (Fixing Broken Fossils) reported using Elmer's Glue and pulverized matrix as a filler/repair medium. This method was employed to infill the cracks. It was hoped this would improve the appearance and provide additional strength to that damaged area.

Approximately one part of Elmer's Glue was mixed with three parts pulverized matrix. This resulted in a thick paste. Water was added to produce a slurry. The mixture was introduced into the crack with a tooth pick. Here are the results.

Before and After

post-8873-0-58232100-1395008750_thumb.jpg post-8873-0-74931100-1395008784_thumb.jpg

post-8873-0-56379200-1395008815_thumb.jpg post-8873-0-29067100-1395008849_thumb.jpg

Here is the project piece, almost done. In this photo the fossil being prepped, Merycoidodon gracilis is shown with her much larger cousin, Merycoidodon culbertsoni. This larger critter is by far the most common Oreodont with M. gracilis being a distant second in abundance. The M. culbertsoni pictured was preserved with three articulated verts.

post-8873-0-97319300-1395350928_thumb.jpg

Snolly, you have done an excellent job with this piece. You should be very proud.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

We award you two Orders of the Golden Scribe: one for the prep, and one for the write-up!

Well done, Sir Snolly!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

PFOOLEY, Auspex and MarcoSr thank you for the approbation. I have very much enjoyed this project and I am kind of sorry to see it winding down, although I will also enjoy having this piece on display in my home.

Snolly,

I too have enjoyed this walkthrough. :)

Thanks for posting it - well done indeed.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Fossildude, It's done except for some clean-up and selecting a display strategy.

Here are a couple of close-ups of the two bite sites. Forum members Ray Eklund and jpc have opined that these damaged areas are the result of predation, reinforcing my belief. It is easy to imagine this Oreodont seized by the lower jaw and in the struggle grasped at the back of its head. This mortal bite, crushing the cranium, would have rendered the M. gracilis unconscious almost immediately. jpc has previously pointed out, there was no shortage of predatory suspects in that ecosystem.

The impressions at the bite sites are approximately 15mm center to center. Who was the ancient culprit?

Any comments about the damage to this piece or about White River predation in general are appreciated.

post-8873-0-31327700-1395584514_thumb.jpg post-8873-0-74784900-1395584545_thumb.jpg

Snolly50. Since Oreodonts lived in burrows and if a carnivore was coming into the burrow... you would expect the head of the oreodont to be the target. The Oreodont also has a pair of effective canines for defense, but probably limited after that. (Dr. Kent Sundell of Casper College, Tate Museum, Casper, Wyoming did some interesting work on his finds in Wyoming about burrowing habits of the Oredonts.)

I would discount any cat or larger dog like carnivore. So you are limiting yourself to the Hesperocyon... if this is a burrow kill... but it is very small and the width of the upper canines, center to center is not much.

Considering there are no articulated bones associated with this skull, otherwise I would have retrieved them when I found the skull... you must consider the Dinictus (cat) as a more likely suspect. Cats seem to be attacking from the rear and go for the neck. This is a Brule Member and not a Chadron Member find, so the Hoplophoneus is out with the 2.75" or so, center of canine to canine width of an adult.

The Daphoenus is a good suspect and so is the Hyaenodon. All you need is someone to measure the width of the upper and lower canines, center to center and now... you should be able to toss a dart at the list of culprits that "nailed" this oredont Just the crushed area of the lower jaw would make me suspect the Hyaenodon. They had some powerful jaws, yet 15 mm seems pretty narrow for anything... other than the Hesperocyon.

Suspects to investigate:

Hyaenodon

Daphoenus

Herperocyon

Dinictus

Hoplophoneus (adult with a 2.75 to 3 inch width canines)

That is why it is always interesting learning about why a fossil was found where it happened to be preserved. And if it was due to a predator... which could it have been... and sometimes a predator cannot be found which adds to a mystery. At least the Western Nebraska list of predators is well known, you have to then get some canine widths to narrow out possible suspects.

My pond turtle from the Chadron Member had two pairs of canine punctures, which aligned perfectly with the Hopolophoneus I had found in the area. Yours may be a younger carnivore so that has to be considered.

Are there any rodent gnaw marks on the skull? That is also not unusual to find. Turtle shell and mammal bones can be found with plenty of rodent gnawing marks.

Good luck. Lots of hard work to prep, but now you have two nice specimens.

Edited by Ray Eklund