What's Still On Your "fill My Bucket List"?

fossilized6s

10 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

This is a good thread to revive. I'll throw out a few of mine in no particular order.

*Complete Isotelus 

*Rostroconch

*Rudist

*Productid brachiopod with spines

*Lingulid brachiopod

*Complete conulariid 

*Complete Greenops boothi 

*Dipleura dekayi

*"Giant" ostracod 

*Receptaculid

*Ordovician "Solenopora" 

*Edrioasteroid

*Asteroidea 

*Complete crinoid calyx

*Any species in the Cincinnatian of Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky that I don't have.

*Any species in the Silica Shale I don't have.

*Any species from the Marshall Sandstone I don't have.

*Any species from the Windom Shale I don't have.

*Any species from the Big Clifty and Indian Springs Formations I don't have.

*carboniferous brachiopods

*Devonian phyllocarid

*Dalmanites

And so on...:)

Does it matter if you find them or can they be gifts? I do stumble upon a few examples of some of the things on your list, and I could always put extras aside. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

23 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Some kind of Moldavite, but then from Your country ?

Very close and not from my country.

natural glass also very close but need a little more.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Very close and not from my country.

natural glass also very close but need a little more.

Libyan desert glass ;)

• I found this Informative 2

This is easy for me. 

I am working my way through my collection to see what is missing, some items that I sold when times were hard back in the day and some that were broken or lost during my move to Morocco. I found one gap in my Cambrian collection, but that has now been replaced. 

So next are a couple of Ordovician items. 

1. A Platystrophia brachiopod from Richmond, Indiana - free from matrix, good size and condition. 

2. Constellaria antheloidea from Williamson County, Tennessee. (or anywhere, really) with good, clear star shaped bits (stellate maculae)

3. Ogygiocarella angustissima or similar from Wales. 

That's all so far. 

3, I found myself and should never have sold it, but needed the money urgently at the time.

1 and 2 were sent to me by an "uncle" and "aunt", close friends of the family who moved to the USA when I was a child and sent fossils for a while and visited a couple of times before we lost touch. These have got lost somewhere, but shouldn't be too difficult to replace, it's the trilobite that will prove difficult, i think. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 minutes ago, Kosmoceras said:

Libyan desert glass ;)

Good work my friend yes

1 hour ago, gigantoraptor said:

Ankylosaurus and Stegosaurus

Sorry yes to both :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

6 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

This is easy for me. 

I am working my way through my collection to see what is missing, some items that I sold when times were hard back in the day and some that were broken or lost during my move to Morocco. I found one gap in my Cambrian collection, but that has now been replaced. 

So next are a couple of Ordovician items. 

1. A Platystrophia brachiopod from Richmond, Indiana - free from matrix, good size and condition. 

2. Constellaria antheloidea from Williamson County, Tennessee. (or anywhere, really) with good, clear star shaped bits (stellate maculae)

3. Ogygiocarella angustissima or similar from Wales. 

That's all so far. 

3, I found myself and should never have sold it, but needed the money urgently at the time.

1 and 2 were sent to me by an "uncle" and "aunt", close friends of the family who moved to the USA when I was a child and sent fossils for a while and visited a couple of times before we lost touch. These have got lost somewhere, but shouldn't be too difficult to replace, it's the trilobite that will prove difficult, i think. 

TD, I can help you with providing a nice, big Platystrophia ponderosa from the Richmondian of Indiana (not Richmond specifically, but near there), free of matrix.  If interested, PM me your address, and I will send you one or some.

6 hours ago, Kane said:

Does it matter if you find them or can they be gifts? I do stumble upon a few examples of some of the things on your list, and I could always put extras aside. :) 

Dear Kane,  Even though I love to find them myself, life is too short to be "picky", and my collection is for posterity, so PM coming :)

I have many things I would like to have. But on my short list would be some dinosaur bones and second some Pliocene mammal bones.

1 hour ago, Peat Burns said:

TD, I can help you with providing a nice, big Platystrophia ponderosa from the Richmondian of Indiana (not Richmond specifically, but near there), free of matrix.  If interested, PM me your address, and I will send you one or some.

That's terrific! 

Cheers, my friend. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

And I will rustle though my old British stuff and see if i can't come up with a Carboniferous brachiopod or two, though can't promise anything glorious.  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Good work my friend yes

On it's way to you in a trice. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

3 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

On it's way to you in a trice. :)

Thanks Adam I have been after some Libyan desert glass for many years. Fantastic 

7 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

If that’s Wenlokian? Might go that direction this year.  

No, Llandeilo Flags, Builth Wells, Wales, Middle Ordovician.

My ancestors' tromping ground. 

(Welsh people ancestors, not trilobites)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

38 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

(Welsh people ancestors, not trilobites)

Are you sure?!  I think there might be traces of a cephalon under that Fez.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

29 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Are you sure?!  I think there might be traces of a cephalon under that Fez.

I'll check later. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

On August 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM, fossilized6s said:

Even though I would absolutely love to find most of the items on my bucket list, I have caved and bought and traded for some. I never use to buy fossils, but things change. Haha! And if I can trade or buy a piece that needs to be prepped, restored and/or repaired, all the better to help me in my quest to be a professional Paleo prepper.

My goal is to still find them in the field. SNTF= Still Need To Find.

Yeah, I had a friend who also wanted to collect only what he found himself.  He started slipping from that, though  He vowed to buy fossils only from sites at which he had collected in order to acquire better specimens or the rarer things he didn't find.  After that, he also bought fossils from sites he expected to visit but didn't.  Later, he expanded to buying fossils from sites he thought about visiting.  As a biologist, he knew the science but he had fun in the field.  He passed away several years ago with friends all over the world in his wake. 

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I have many things I would like to have. But on my short list would be some dinosaur bones and second some Pliocene mammal bones.

Yeah, Pliocene mammal bones can be a challenge because it's such a tight time window, geologically speaking.  Over the years, I've picked up only a few and mostly from marine layers.  There's at least one site around Optima, Oklahoma where horse teeth were found.  Back in the 80's, there were a couple of dealers who had those. 

This isn't so much a Life bucket lister but this year's bucket list.  Spring is almost here and it will soon be time to get out there.  Last year I found a few little nodules in our local Eocene rocks, with crocodile scutes and verts in them.  This year I hope to find the rest of this animal.   

I've been wanting a piece of that desert glass too (and a decent meteorite for that matter - I've already got a tektite) but the attention [available funds] is divided between so many things in my bucket list:

I'd still like to get a decent Dickinsonia from the Ediacaran/Vendian - I have a small partial one but I think it's only a matter of time before I score a decent complete one, if only slightly larger.

Also Horodyskia (1.4by macrofossil) from anywhere..

A spiny trilo from Morocco or Oklahoma would be nice, but the good ones are expensive, the cheap ones are badly prepped.

It might be an interesting project to compile a list of all the different taxa I have in my collection, categorized by location. I've already tabulated my local stuff from Mt Tzuhalem, and my Arkona and Penn Dixie stuff from doing trades with Monica, so I've already partway there...

I might find that certain time periods are underrepresented in my collection - I know there is not much Silurian, Mississippian, Permian or Triassic, and probably some of the Cenozoic epochs are sparse too.

Money limitations keep me from getting much further.

Great! Now I'm drumming up competition!

It's not easily found in Canada either - It's always an international (online) purchase.