What's Still On Your "fill My Bucket List"?

fossilized6s

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Did you find it while on a fossil foray?

Yes, I was checking out a cut I had never stopped at before after a very heavy rain (it has been raining a lot here lately) and there it was on the ground. The sun hit the chert just right and it glinted, so I picked it up liking anything that sparkles. :) It was not perfect like you see in pictures, so I wasn't sure as maybe it was just a rock that looked very similar to an arrowhead - I have found many of those, but there are no flaking marks or they are so water worn you just can't tell. I'm guessing I have walked over lots of N.A. artifacts without recognizing them - kind of like walking over cephs for 4 months because I just didn't recognize them. :) Because of all the creeks and chert, Fillmore County was a destination for many N.A. tribes from the plains.

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Did you find it while on a fossil foray?

:D

Yup, I found a Native American spear point. :yay-smiley-1:

Great find Bev!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

• 1 month later...

1: go to the dominican republic, paying one of the miners to give me a tour into the mine, buy amber from the miners at the mine itself

2: go to somewhere along the baltic coast to collect amber (and of course i would go in the winter as storms=more amber washed up)

3: get ahold of some japanese amber

4: get some nice botanicals in dominican amber

ok i crossed of number 4 (doesn't stop me wanting more though)

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I meant, was your aim to find Cylindroteuthis with predation marks or was it to find any species of belemnite with predation marks?

Cylindroteuthis with bite marks.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

I got to cross off some bucket list stuff tonight! Rob Russell and i went to Mazon Pit 11 and i found my first Shrimp....well half, but it's a good lookin' half. I also found some worms (five to be exact).

I'll post pics tomorrow, im beat.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I can cross off "something reptilian to fill up empty space in my display cabinet"! I recently ordered a Plesiosaur tooth and a Pterosaur tooth. When i get them all in place i´ll post some new pictures of my display cabinet :)

Though there is even more empty space now, since i had to rearrange (i gave the trilobites their own shelf and made the total shelf count 4) :(

But it´ll fill up in time.

I got to cross off some bucket list stuff tonight! Rob Russell and i went to Mazon Pit 11 and i found my first Shrimp....well half, but it's a good lookin' half. I also found some worms (five to be exact).

I'll post pics tomorrow, im beat.

Charlie - I crossed off a crustacean (a shrimp - Belotelson magister) and a soft bodied critter (Essexella Asherae) at the same time when we were there, too....

for the most part, I only collect what I find myself, so my bar is pretty limited to where I can travel to and get access to. With that in mind, any sort of dinosaur or marine reptile vertebrae, and proboscian teeth (preferably mammoth molar), sits high on the list as we get ready for a trip to eastern Montana next week.

Edited by John K

Charlie - I crossed off a crustacean (a shrimp - Belotelson magister) and a soft bodied critter (Essexella Asherae) at the same time when we were there, too....

for the most part, I only collect what I find myself, so my bar is pretty limited to where I can travel to and get access to. With that in mind, any sort of dinosaur or marine reptile vertebrae, and proboscian teeth (preferably mammoth molar), sits high on the list as we get ready for a trip to eastern Montana next week.

Yeah, I've recently put all of my purchased fossils by themselves in my display case. It just feels dirty to intermingle the two. Im not a fan of buying fossils, unless it's a fossil i can prep or micro matrix.

We're heading back down to Mazon this weekend again. Feel free to PM me if you would like details.

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Ok, so for me, I would want: :wub:

-fossils from the late Ordovician lagerstatten in Manitoba, from the sites of Cat Head, Airport Cove, and William Lake. Ordovician lagerstatten isn't that common compared to Cambrian ones.

-more good brachiopod specimens and pelycopods from where I am.

The first one I listed is definitely a must. I definitely wanna get my hands on some of the interesting fossils that can be found there, like eurypterid parts, some soft bodied organisms, a horseshoe crab....

1. Saber cat skull

2. Proboscidean molar

3. Proboscidean tusk

4. Any Mesozoic reptile macro material

5. Will realistically settle for any vertebrate fossil material I can find :)

Opportunities in northern Kentucky for any of these is nil :(

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been lucky enough to cross off anything lately?

I found my Mazon fish and Millipede. Now to focus on getting better ones.....

~Charlie~

Yep sure did…..Just received my signed copy of Dinosaurs of The British Isles from my friend and co-author Dean R. Lomax.

He has kindly put my name in the acknowledgement’s section and a picture of a waterworn natural cast of a track, probably created by a tetrapod / ornithopods, which I found on the foreshore at Saltwick Bay, near Whitby, North Yorkshire ( its on on page 138) ;) .

post-13364-0-22207100-1409246610_thumb.jpg

So that’s: My claim to fame mention in a dinosaur book crossed of my bucket list... :D

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Very cool Darren! Your find has been immortalized!

~Charlie~

• 4 months later...

1. Giant Ground Sloth claw

2. Giant Ground Sloth tooth

3. Mastodon tooth

4. Pine Cone

5. PNW Crab- SOON TO BE PREPPED (thanx Scott)

6. Dino anything

7. Complete skull of anything

8. 4"+ complete Megalodon tooth

9. Amber or Copal with inclusion

10. Large and lumpy piece of Coprolite, inclusions would be nice!- FOUND

11. Sand Dollar- FOUND

12. Complete Trilobite

13. Eagle Claw

14. Green River Fish

15. Mazon Fern - FOUND

16. Mazon Shrimp - FOUND

17. Mazon Horseshoe Crab - FOUND

18. Mazon Insect

19. Tully Monster - FOUND 90-95% complete!

20. Mazon Worm (any kind) - FOUND

21. Mazon Fish (any kind) - FOUND

22. Mazon Giant Millipede

I need to start thinking of more....lol

Anyone else care to add their bucket list nominees, or cross any off lately?

~Charlie~

Hmmm...

1. Old Strelley Pool stromatolite

2. Complete Ceratonurus trilobite

3. Complete Cyphaspis carolli trilobite

4. Complete/near-complete insect from the lower permian of Oklahoma

5. Well-preserved insect wing from the lower permian of Oklahoma.

5. Another new fossil locality (maybe this weekend!).

6. Hunt the Kansas chalk someday, as it is one state above...

7. New species of insect from the lower permian of Oklahoma (quite likely).

8. Another, more complete machaeridian armored worm from BCM.

9. Look for fossils in another country.

10. Decent meg tooth WITH serrations to 'replace' the weathered one I have currently for educational purposes.

11. Find where fossils of labyrinthodonts and lungfish can be found in Oklahoma (exact location) and find some of their fossils.

That about covers it for now! :P

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

More Palorchestes (any species) - complete skeleton please!

I've only found a single molar so far :(

Find an Tully monster

Thylacoleo

More crocodile material, a nice tooth would be good

Find a new species.

Find a kukoadont jaw.

Edited by Ash

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

1. Pleistocene mammal skulls of any kind

2. ...that's about it, really!

Still waiting on my first.

Edited by Craniate

Hoping for the following by next Christmas.

1 partridge in a pear tree

2 turtle doves

3 French hens

4 calling birds

5 gold rings

6 geese a-laying

7 swans a-swimming

8 maids a-milking

9 ladies dancing

10 lords a-leaping

11 pipers piping

12 drummers drumming