Propodial And Vertebrae With Process?

Stonebone

Got back from a week vacation in Tucson yesterday. Daily highs in the mid seventies to low eighties. Got up this morning with the thermometer finally reaching 38 degrees at about 11:00. I decided to go see if I could find a shark tooth in the upper Greenhorn here in Kansas. I didn't find any sharks teeth, but I did find these items just under the fence post layer in a concretion. I took the pictures in my basement with my iPad, so they aren't the best. Plesiosaur paddle and verts maybe?

post-12957-0-70559100-1395619830_thumb.jpgpost-12957-0-66408200-1395620116_thumb.jpg

I'll say it is and it's a major find. Looks more like pliosaur to me and very big. You'd better go back and make sure you've got it all.

thanks for posting

Paul

Edited by paulgdls

Thanks Paul. Definitely going back and checking for more. I will post more pictures.

Regards,

Michael

Thanks Lissa.

Went back and am finding more "stuff". What a large reptile. Will post more pictures. Woo hoo!!! :)

Michael

Wow, nice find. Hope you get more out of there.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Michael,

Don't forget to pick up all the "scraps" - some of those might end up being the missing links when you put it all back together. That's one big beast you have there.

Paul

This is an absolutely brilliant find! I used to study and describe ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs for a museum, regularly working with worse material than this! Happy to try to identify it further - the paddle digits (small tessellated bones) are the most diagnostc (and sometimes the vertebrae if they're complete) in identifying sauropterygia.

From these photos of the limb, it's either a plesiosaur or pliosaur.

Do post more photos - would love to see :)

Wow, nice find. Hope you get more out of there.

Ramo

Ramo,

If I find much more, you might have to come over and help dig this thing up.

Ramo,

If I find much more, you might have to come over and help dig this thing up.

Paul,

I did go back and found lots of small pieces, "digits"?, a couple of vertebrae all on the slope below. Also dug around some more and found more bones.

Michael,

What an exciting find! Do keep us updated with photos please. :)

Thanks Old bones,

This is a childhood dream come true!!!

Paul,

I did go back and found lots of small pieces, "digits"?, a couple of vertebrae all on the slope below. Also dug around some more and found more bones.

Here we go!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Awesome! I've never found any plesiosaur material before.

Your going to have to get up here one of these days. Lots of bones in those rocks.

This is an absolutely brilliant find! I used to study and describe ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs for a museum, regularly working with worse material than this! Happy to try to identify it further - the paddle digits (small tessellated bones) are the most diagnostc (and sometimes the vertebrae if they're complete) in identifying sauropterygia.

From these photos of the limb, it's either a plesiosaur or pliosaur.

Do post more photos - would love to see

Thanks 4circlle,

Let me know what you think!

Here is a KU specimen of a short necked plesiosaur (Dolichorhynchops osborni) for some comparison:

post-6661-0-13149100-1395881932_thumb.jpg

Close up of the paddle:

post-6661-0-84243200-1395881954_thumb.jpg

Here are some new pictures of what I found. There is more in the ground. I can hardly believe I am finding this kinda stuff. Wow... Apple pictures, sorry.

First picture is verts. Forgot to scale.

Second picture is a close up of the bigger vert.

Third picture is the group minus all the other small parts. DEEP BREATH.....post-12957-0-71916200-1395882312_thumb.jpgpost-12957-0-58517000-1395882400_thumb.jpgpost-12957-0-97419800-1395882481_thumb.jpg

Great finds! Hope you can get it all up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

Wow, these are certainly good, especially if there's more to come!

The vertebrae don't possess any diagnositc features I'm afraid, but the limb assembly you've got is brilliant. If the other limb you mention in the ground is still there, it would be really helpful to see a photo of it in-situ before you try to remove it - this will show the structure of the whole limb more clearly and may help with better identification. It will also help you when you come to try to reassemble all the pieces which become separated when you extract it!

The 'ball joint' may be the head of humerus/femur, although I'd be reluctant to confirm this without seeing more - can you maybe provide a photo of it end-on from the left - i.e. looking into the broken end?

Good luck with the rest!

Michael,

Great to see that there is more there. This is looking very good. The second propodial head looks very well preserved as well. The foramina on the vertebrae confirm plesiosaur/pliosaur and the distal expansion on the end of the humerus/femur points more to plesiosaur (but still could be either). If you can get it out in blocks of matrix and prep. off site it would be better. This specially applies to any skull bones some of which are very thin. Thanks for showing us your progress.

good luck

regards

Paul

Edited by paulgdls