Shark Teeth Collection Is Growing!

worthy 55

Very nice. I love some of the colors, especially the light Hemipristis next to the auriculatus and the "striped" mako a couple of rows above it. The darn things just seem to get addictive don't they ;)

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I buy and trade for some of them and find some too in the creeks in gville. The hemis , tigers , and the 3 gray makos in that same row came from gville the auriculatus came from the Suwannee river. And the Makos and great whites that come from shark hill Cal. and Chile do have some great colors. :Thumbs-up:

It's my bone!!!

I thought some of those looked like hook-tooth makos (Isurus planus) which are pretty much only found around STH in Bakersfield CA. If you ever get a Great White from there, I'd be more than anxious to take it off your hands.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Worthy: (Drooling) If those are from California, we need to talk privately. Also, in case anyone doesn't know, Chile's government has pretty much put a stop to fossils leaving the country. They are now some very desirable specimens. Fortunately there are quite a bit available from old collections, but their price is climbing steadily.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd mention that teeth of Isurus planus are also known from the Santa Margarita Formation in Santa Cruz County (Scotts Valley).

Also, don't count on ever seeing a single great white from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed. The one they show on ELASMO.com probably isn't from the bonebed, and its locality data is sketchy to begin with (the only loc. data with the tooth is "Near Bakersfield"; it was probably collected from the nearby and stratigraphically higher Etchegoin or San Joaquin Formations (both are Latest Miocene and Pliocene). If Carcharodon did actually occur in the STH bonebed, there would probably be at least one tooth in the collections of the Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History or University of California Museum of Paleontology (which have the largest collections of STH fossils worldwide), they would exist in those museums. But they don't.

Carcharodon carcharias doesn't appear in the rock record until about 6.0-5.5 MYA, just below the Mio-Pliocene boundary. I've got a bunch of them in my collection from Santa Cruz County (Purisima Formation).

I bought it for $45 it was a great deal and it is in my collection now. :Thumbs-up: :Thumbs-up:

It's my bone!!!

I bought it for $45 it was a great deal and in my collection now. :Thumbs-up: :Thumbs-up:

Nice specimem! :cool: Did you wear a mask when you paid for it? :rolleyes:

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Let me guess; that's a couple of hours searching only. Jeez Worthy, between the amounts you find and the pics that Boesse has been posting, I'm starting to get a bit jealous up here ;) :lol:

Went to Gainesville yesterday and hit one of the creeks there. :Thumbs-up:

holy coprolite man!!! great finds :lol:

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Let me guess; that's a couple of hours searching only. Jeez Worthy, between the amounts you find and the pics that Boesse has been posting, I'm starting to get a bit jealous up here ;) :lol:
No just one hr!! LOL No this was a 5 hr hunt tolal but only about 3 hrs in a 6x6 foot by 2 foot deep area . Oh after seeing all the ribs and bones you have with shark bites on them I guess I'll start collecting the Dugong ribs with bite marks on them too they are thick in this area. Ribs that is. :Thumbs-up:

It's my bone!!!