How Do We Convince People To Give Casts A Chance?

-Andy-

The good replicas I've seen for sale on the Internet are not cheap. I could buy real fossils for what I'd pay for some reproductions. Admitted, some of the producers of replica fossils are very skilled and should receive credit for their work. Replicas certainly have their place. I see replicas as a good way for museums to display fossils without the possiblity of damage or theft.

Last summer I organized a fossils exhibit for our local historical society museum. The NJ State Museum was generous in loaning a few fossils but I would have been happy to have used replicas for our temporary exhibit. They would have relieved us of the responsibility of caring for several very rare and valuable fossils. However, the State museum to my knowledge doesn't own any replicas they could loan for similar temporary exhibitions.

Beautiful casts(reproductions from Mary odono

Imagine the weight of the T. rex skull !!!

post-9950-0-83558500-1400440438_thumb.jpg

post-9950-0-19422200-1400440472_thumb.jpg

post-9950-0-27874700-1400440515_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

I can totally relate to peoples reactions they are fake... lets not beat about the bush, thats exactly what replica fossils are. Fake fossils.

I can understsnd why museums do this, security, practicality, origonal is too fragile etc...

But I would never purchace one for a fossil colection, maybe for ornamental purposes.

Edited by brian1978

I found a very rare Basicranium from an early plesiosaur. This bone fuses to the other bones in the skull when the plesi matures. So you can only find them in young plesis. And in Plesiosaurs, the skull is usually lost during fossilisation so this makes the basicranium very rare. The one I found could also be from a new species.

Anyway, I'm considering donating it to the Lyme Regis museum as I've been asked if I would. I'm quite keen to although it is my prized fossil. So I think I will get a cast made. I'll give the museum the real bone and keep the cast. Therefore it's still in my collection.

I found a very rare Basicranium from an early plesiosaur. This bone fuses to the other bones in the skull when the plesi matures. So you can only find them in young plesis. And in Plesiosaurs, the skull is usually lost during fossilisation so this makes the basicranium very rare. The one I found could also be from a new species.

Anyway, I'm considering donating it to the Lyme Regis museum as I've been asked if I would. I'm quite keen to although it is my prized fossil. So I think I will get a cast made. I'll give the museum the real bone and keep the cast. Therefore it's still in my collection.

Perfect!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!